Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Make mouse scroll wheels work

Make mouse scroll wheels work
tarassg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2003, 01:58 PM

How do I enable mouse scroll wheels (microsoft brand) to work in Adobe Acrobat and appleworks application? Step-by-step instructions will be helpful for a new mac user like me. Cheers

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2003, 02:24 PM

AFAIK, you don't.

Those apps are poorly ported to carbon and don't respect scrollwheels from any mice.

Sorry.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

macmike42
Senior User
Mar 10, 2003, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by Earth Mk. II:
AFAIK, you don't.

Those apps are poorly ported to carbon and don't respect scrollwheels from any mice.

Sorry.
He's right, however you can always (provided your mouse driver software allows you to create application-specific sets) workaround this by making a set for an application that doesn't support the scroll wheel, and setting the wheel's "scroll up" to "up arrow" and "scroll down" to "down arrow". It won't work quite as well (ie it'll work like scroll wheels work on Windows), but you can train yourself to not tell the difference.

(Edit: after actually *thinking* about this for a second, it will work well in Acrobat Reader, but it will be really stupid in AppleWorks. Sorry.)
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

tarassg  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2003, 05:21 PM

thank for clearing that up.

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2003, 05:34 PM

Adobe is supposedly coming out with an upgrade that fixes the scrolling problem though. I don't know when it will be out though. I think someone else here said this summer.

The Appleworks stuff no one knows about. Rumor is that they are working on a Office killer, perhaps using a lot of StarOffice code. If so, it'll probably be out this fall/winter. Personally I find Appleworks to suck right now. I ended up springing for Office.

pdot
Senior User
Mar 12, 2003, 02:16 AM

You can use USB Overdrive and set the scroll up to the up arrow key and the scroll down to the down arrow key. It's rather slow, however. What I do is (I have a 5 button mouse) use the scroll wheel to zoom in/out and use two buttons for page up and page down in Acrobat Reader. PDFs refresh too slowly for scrolling anyway.
Current: XPC SB81P, 3GHz P4, 1GB RAM; Compaq Presario V2410US, Turion 64 ML-30, 512MB RAM
Previous: Sawtooth G4/400 448MB RAM
ATI Radeon 8500 64MB - flashed variant
OS X 10.3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399 37510
Future: 13" Widescreen Powerbook, Core Duo Intel

Forum Links
Forum Rules