Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iBox is a bait and switch scam! BEWARE!!!

iBox is a bait and switch scam! BEWARE!!! (Page 3)
Staatkunde
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2003, 09:42 AM

What hassle is there to building your own Mac? The only hassle I had was inferior memory I tried to use. I've had more trouble building PC's than I had building my CoreCrib. I had the machine put together in under 1 hour.

My machine has been stable for 1 week now. I finally turned it off last night due to thurnderstorms. It works great for me and I've only spent $800 more or less.

Go ahead and spend $1500 or up to $3000 for a Power Mac if you like them so much. With new G5 processors right around the corner, that would be such a wise investment.

As I've mentioned before, the CoreCrib is a cheap stopgap measure for me until new machines are announced, I "switched" from the PC side and like OS X so much, I just might spend the $2,000 for a new Power Mac. Or.. I'll just keep upgrading my Crib. Gee...having options is nice. Buying an eMac so you can be stuck with the same hardware forever is idiotic.
-Mark

-LD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2003, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by happyware:
I think the best thing to do is find someone in the Minneapolis area. Meet with me and report the results back to the forum (although a public place would be nice looking at some of the response from this forum).
I'm in the Twin Cities. I'll come over and meet the Core team, take some pics, buy you a beer.

The only thing that has ever prevented me from buying a Mac is the price so it would be great to see companies like Core succeed in their efforts.

Keep in mind these are just PPC systems. There is nothing illegal about them selling PPC systems made with Apple parts as near as I can tell.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2003, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by Staatkunde:
Buying an eMac so you can be stuck with the same hardware forever is idiotic.
-Mark
Dude, for somebody preaching freedom of choice, competition and tolerance you need to chill.

If soomebody chooses to buy an eMac because he

a) doesn't want to have to touch hardware or tools

b) prefers its looks to those of an ugly generic cheap PC box

c) wants a compact all-in-one Mac

d) trusts Apple more than a company he has never heard of

then that's perfectly fine and legitimate. If you choose to call people idiots because they chose different than you did, you might consider if it's not you acting "idiotic" here.

For a guy with a post count of four I'd check to be sure I'm using the proper tone.

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
May 14, 2003, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
For a guy with a post count of four I'd check to be sure I'm using the proper tone. [/B]
Actually I don't see how that matters; some people post a lot but really have nothing to say.

But still it's a matter of choice and preference. Some people don't have to skill set to work on internals of a machine. Some need lots of technical support when buying a machine. Some need the security of a brand name. We all factor that in when we make purchases.

I wouldn't recommend to someone that has no real computer savy a machine that they would eventually have to support on their own. I used to build PCs for friends but I got tired of their phone calls when they can't connect to the internet or they get a virus because they forgot to update the program. In those cases now I would point them towards a Dell or Apple depending on their needs.

But for those that can build PCs, if they can accomplish this at a good cost using this solution, why not? I personally wouldn't want to get a emac or Imac knowing that down the line I couldn't do any sort of upgrading, especially being at the mercy of a service center for the smallest of jobs. I guess that's just from my experience from the PC world.

Also there are different types of cases available too. If you think they're ugly, that's just your opinion. I like the one I picked and that all that matters to me. And the fact I'll be running a modded machine running OS X. Just my attempt at 'Thinking Different' to coin an old phrase.

Yet another 2 cents...

Terrance

mrdataesq
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2003, 12:00 PM

Want to know why anybody would buy one of these things? I looked around, weighed the options, and decided on the CoreCrib. Here's why.

For my music studio, I need:

* A Mac
* PCI slots
* Ability to boot into OS9

I'd like:

* A G4, minimum 800 MHz
* Dualie capability
* ~$1000 price

New tower Macs are out; they can't boot OS9, and they're a bit pricey.

G4 iMac is really nice, but I need PCI slots. Same goes for laptops, and they're more expensive. eMac is fast enough and the right price, but again, no PCI, and I'm not sure they boot OS9.

Used Macs fitting my requirements exceed the price I'd like to pay, and there's more risk (not that buying from this little outfit isn't somewhat risky, but they do seem to have fans already ..).

The G4 800 CoreCrib fits all these requirements for $999 + S/H, and I can go dualie later on. Not a terribly bad deal, IMHO.

The OS9 boot and the price are the things that seal the deal for me. Of course I'd prefer to buy a "real", brand-new Apple in a nice new box; but I really have to have OS9, at least for the moment. (Emagic's been a little slow porting certain things ...)

Staatkunde
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2003, 02:22 PM

I wasn't preaching anything. I'm not in a cult or religion.

My opinion, is that all-in-one designs stink. You only get a 1 year warranty on a new mac. What do you do when your eMac monitor fails after 1 yr.? I've seen it happen to others on campus. Why not spend the same money on a machine with some options? I don't understand why you don't trust it, it uses an Apple motherboard and power supply. You don't trust John? He's already delivered boxes to other people posting here.

I guess we won't agree, which is fine, I can live with that. I cannot agree with the original post calling the Crib a scam.
-Mark

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2003, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by Staatkunde:
Why not spend the same money on a machine with some options? I don't understand why you don't trust it, it uses an Apple motherboard and power supply. You don't trust John? He's already delivered boxes to other people posting here.
Dude, please chill.

I am not against this idea or John at all. Personally I don't want one of these clones, but I don't mind them being around at all (I already mentioned that they're good for Apple!)

I just object to calling eMac buyers idiotic. I think it's OK to buy an eMac for some and OK to buy a clone for others. Both will have good reasons for what they chose.

That's all. I'm easy. Chill.

areyouwishing
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2003, 04:37 PM

im sorry, but i just don't see how people can say this is a scam...or a fake...

In order to run OS X legally you need to have an Apple ROM, thats it, everything does NOT have to be apples...just think... apple doesn't make their hard drives, they don't make their video cards, they don't even make their processors...all they make is the MB, everything else is OEM from other companies.

From a users perspective, this idea is sound, but i could see core getting into some hot water later on.

oh btw i plan on purchasing a barebones + Processor crib in less than a week. I guess we will see.

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
May 14, 2003, 05:06 PM

Oh goodie, THREE one-posters, all in one thread! How nice of the manufacturer to make sure all the employees had a chance to shill.

-LD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2003, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by nvaughan3:
Oh goodie, THREE one-posters, all in one thread! How nice of the manufacturer to make sure all the employees had a chance to shill.
ignorance is bliss

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
May 14, 2003, 05:41 PM

Now that's funny, he's made three posts on this thread and still hasn't said anything...quantity over quality I guess. Some people would even call it "hating".

It would be nice if you add something of value to discussion...

Terrance

mrdataesq
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2003, 07:18 PM

Of course you won't believe me, but *I'm* not an employee of 2khappyware (or however you write it). I work for the company formerly known as Burr-Brown in Tucson, AZ. (now called Texas Instruments, BTW.)

Then again, why am I wasting my time saying so? The reason conspiracy theories are so much fun is that they're so hard to disprove. So why don't you go ahead and believe it, then: I'm a really a shill posting lies for the benefit of a small-time huckster, who's paying people to help him screw the masses out of their hard-earned cash. And he got not one, but *three* people to do this, on *this* vitally important forum.

Fortunately, we have vigilant analysts like yourself standing up to us, warning the poor, innocent, and foolish Mac-buyers about this certain way to lose a pile of money. Gosh, what a hero you are, especially in light of all the research and hard work you did to come to your conclusions.

Of course, I'm surprised you didn't suggest this wonderful alternative:
www.purchaseprogram.com

(HINT: it's a *real* scam. Can YOU spot the difference?)

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
May 14, 2003, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by terrancew_hod:
Now that's funny, he's made three posts on this thread and still hasn't said anything...quantity over quality I guess. Some people would even call it "hating".

It would be nice if you add something of value to discussion...

Terrance

Oh I did, you just missed it in your fervor. Back on page 2 (default settings) I posted:

I think the original poster here needs to be banned and this thread locked.

That is, I was sticking up (at the time) for the creator of the product because I believed the original thread creator was unfairly (and wrongly) calling the guy a scam artist.

own3d!

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
May 14, 2003, 08:29 PM

Fortunately, we have vigilant analysts like yourself standing up to us, warning the poor, innocent, and foolish Mac-buyers about this certain way to lose a pile of money. Gosh, what a hero you are, especially in light of all the research and hard work you did to come to your conclusions.
It would also be wise for you to read the whole thread (or the post above this) before you look like an assclown as well.

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
May 14, 2003, 10:19 PM

I think the original poster here needs to be banned and this thread locked.
My bad. Ok, you made four posts and you still haven't said anything. What you said and what you posted are two different things. If you want to stick up for someone, say so. Just saying someone should be banned is not debating. And that is what I'm talking about in my previous posts.

So I stick by my original statement, because you have not yet proven me wrong or your case...and it includes this page.

Terrance

keywest
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2003, 10:23 PM

This is what I get when looking for information on this thread:

"Oh goodie, THREE one-time posters, all in one thread!

"Don't be a prick. Just paste a passage or give us a section number to look in or something."

" Angry? This coming from someone who fired the first shot here and called me a prick?"

"Now that's funny, he's made three posts on this thread and still hasn't said anything...quantity over quality I guess. Some people would even call it "hating".

It would be nice if you added something of value to discussion..."

"Oh I did, you just missed it in your fervor. Back on page 2 I posted: "I think the original poster here needs to be banned and this thread locked."

"It would also be wise for you to read the whole thread (or the post above this) before you look like an assclown as well."

"For a guy with a post count of four I'd check to be sure I'm using the proper tone."

"You seem to be an angry guy, roadwarrior. I wasn't trying to dis you when I asked for a specific reference. I just wanted the information. You responded like I had poured sugar in your gas tank or something. Damn."

" I told you not to be a prick because you were being a prick. I was trying to help you shape your tone to be less hostile and aggrivated. Evidently you are beyond help in this area. The fact that you think I 'fired the first shot' is rather amusing.
And I thought some of the unmoderated boards I belong to were bad.
PowerBook 185c, iBook Clamshell, iBook 500, Power Mac G4 Dual 867

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
May 14, 2003, 11:07 PM

But you did get information...on how not have a discussion...

But I agree with you totally--I just came here to give a quick opinion on the topic and got jumped on...

And I like having a good discussion...really. And I'm honored you picked two of my quotes to add to the highlights

Terrance

mrdataesq
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2003, 12:46 AM

It would also be wise for you to read the whole thread (or the post above this) before you look like an assclown as well.
Yeah, but you know what? I didn't care, and I still don't care, because you called me a shill. You pissed me off, OK? So lay off it already.

And why would you call me a shill if you so wholeheartedly support Mr. Fraser? I wasn't responding to your earlier posts. I was responding to your accusation.

Just apologize and admit that you spoke rashly. I probably did too, for that matter. So I admit it, and I'm sorry.

See, it's not so hard. You can do it too.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2003, 01:23 AM

Why don't all of you just chill and shut up for a moment. Until somebody comes here with a reputation on this board (that doesn't include people with a post count of two and a registration date of May 2003) we really haven't heard of anybody trustworthy enough that these machines actually exist.

The fact that all of the guys saying they have one are people with no record seems very fishy to me...

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
May 15, 2003, 02:40 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
Why don't all of you just chill and shut up for a moment. Until somebody comes here with a reputation on this board (that doesn't include people with a post count of two and a registration date of May 2003) we really haven't heard of anybody trustworthy enough that these machines actually exist.

The fact that all of the guys saying they have one are people with no record seems very fishy to me...
So, you're saying someone has to buy one on this board would have to for you to believe it. Are you volunteering to find out? When you pay for the machine you can get the option for the 30-day money back guarantee...Put your money where your mouth is then you can tell everyone whether it's an actual product or not.

Sounds like you're taking the position of this being the only board on the internet. You know that's just not true. Some people that have it are those that haven't had a Mac before, so it would stand to reason that they would not have registered on a mac-only board. Other people belong to different boards; so if I had 500 posts on this board and registered on a new board--I'd be a newbie there...

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2003, 03:12 AM

Originally posted by terrancew_hod:
So, you're saying someone has to buy one on this board would have to for you to believe it.
Yes. Even more, somebody who has registered before March 2003 and somebody with a postcount > 10.

Let's say Cipher comes here and says he has recieved a working machine. Then I'll believe it.

Look, some guy warns it could be a scam. Then a bunch of guys register, just to post that it's not a scam. Now you tell me, if it were a scam, wouldn't that be exactly the behaviour we'd see? I didn't believe it was a scam in the first place but after seeing all of you new registers suddenly pop out of nowhere I'm having doubts...

digi-j  (op)
May 15, 2003, 04:26 AM

Go ahead and spend $1500 or up to $3000 for a Power Mac if you like them so much. With new G5 processors right around the corner, that would be such a wise investment.
1. the top PowerMacs are not $3k or more anymore.

2. The resale value of PowerMacs is EXTREMELY good. People sell for near-new prices on eBay every day, especially when software is included.

3. The "CoreCrib" can't begin to compare to a true new PowerMac for these reasons:

a. No DDR
b. Much slower FSB speed
c. No firewire 800
d. No Airport Extreme
e. No support for large hard drives over 120GB
f. The CoreCrib case sucks, even for a PC case, and doesn't meet FCC regs
g. Crappy warranty
h. Used or refurbished parts
i. No included Apple operating system ($129 value)
j. No student or ADC discount.

Consider a new 1 GHz PowerMac which is $1500 can also be purchased for $1450 by students, and only $1200 by ADC members. Fire you will spend about $1000 on a CoreCrib to give it the same specs- Geforce4 MX, 32X DVD/CD-RW Combo drive, 60 GB HD, etc. + $129 for OS X jaguar... Where is the value of a recycled Mac with nowhere near the features of a new one?!

A wiser choice would be to save your pennies, sign up for ADC, get a dual 1.25 GHz for $1599, and then when the IBM970 Macs come out you'll be able to sell it for the about same ammount on eBay. If you really MUST build your own Mac, I suggest hunting down the parts on eBay or sometimes CompUSA auctions have cases and logic boards. For $380, the Crib is simply not a good deal for a less-than-bare-bones Mac in a PC case.

digi-j  (op)
May 15, 2003, 04:27 AM

Look, some guy warns it could be a scam. Then a bunch of guys register, just to post that it's not a scam. Now you tell me, if it were a scam, wouldn't that be exactly the behaviour we'd see? I didn't believe it was a scam in the first place but after seeing all of you new registers suddenly pop out of nowhere I'm having doubts...
thank you for being a logical human being.

At the very least we should wait and see if OWC does indeed distribute these computers.
( Last edited by digi-j; May 15, 2003 at 04:37 AM. )

-LD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2003, 09:28 AM

you people are all idiots, that's all there is to it

how could you possibly say it was a scam? seriously...there are people all over who have ordered and received their units...i am going to their shop one of these days to take pics and check out their operation even (of course you conspiracy theorists will argue that it's all made up)...magazines and online magazines have intereviewed the company

why would you say it's a scam? make one logical, fact-based argument that doesn't make any reidiculous assumptions...show me one person who paid their money and never received their product

YOU are the one making the claim of scam so YOU are the one who has to prove it, not the other way around...burden of proof is on you, i challenge you to rpove it is a scam

if you can do that, i owe you a dollar

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
May 15, 2003, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by digi-j:
1. the top PowerMacs are not $3k or more anymore.
Your right, they're $2699. If I want to customize it, $3799. Most people will see this on apple's online store or in a show room.

2. The resale value of PowerMacs is EXTREMELY good. People sell for near-new prices on eBay every day, especially when software is included.
That's true as well. But I don't want to buy used stuff for near new, especially when I'm going to have to buy additional equipment to upgrade it. Not a good argument. But then you may or may not get it depending on how much or when you bid. It also requires a lot of patience and diligence as well. You can choose the 'Buy Now' option, but then most times you're going to pay close to a new price for a machine that you will probably need to upgrade anyway.

3. The "CoreCrib" can't begin to compare to a true new PowerMac for these reasons:
The crib wasn't meant to be compared to a new powermac. It's supposed to a low-cost alternative to those who want a customizable machine. But let's go through the list anyway:

a. No DDR
I believe articles on this subject state that DDR is not giving you that much of a speed advantage, due to the powermac motherboard's bus speed. So you might be looking, depending on the application, at a 10-20% speed difference. Not a major speed increase.

b. Much slower FSB speed

Very true. But it's not a huge speed difference, such as in the PC world comparing a machine with a 1.4GHz 133MHzFSB with a 3MHz processor with a 400MHzFSB. Motorola has only been providing machines with "baby steps" in terms of processor and bus speed. That's why Apple is switching to the new Power 970. Only then will you see a major speed increase.

c. No firewire 800
Only the very new machines have this. And how many of these devices are available now? Anyone who has a Powermac from last year is going to have to buy a firewire 800 card if they want this support anyway.

d. No Airport Extreme

True, but would this would assume that all the machines in your house support it and you don't already have an airport. Only the new macs have this, power macs may be able to get a compatible card on a pci card. If you have any older machine that uses wireless, the airport extreme drops down to non-extreme speed unless you exclude them from that network and get a separate hub for them. A double edged sword. Apple should have made the cards pin compatible with all airport cards.

e. No support for large hard drives over 120GB

I believe most macs have this limitation; but it can be remedied with a pci ata card, or putting the drive in a firewire case.

[QUOTE]
f. The CoreCrib case sucks, even for a PC case, and doesn't meet FCC regs
g. Crappy warranty
h. Used or refurbished parts
i. No included Apple operating system ($129 value)
j. No student or ADC discount.
[QUOTE]

ALL PC cases meet FCC reqs otherwise they couldn't be sold. There are different cases available; he swapped a much better (IMO) black case with a side window at no cost for me. You just have to ask for it. If I get a machine from ebay I get no warranty and may not work as specified in the listing. Most times your only recourse is to send a negative review. Also most people who build their own PCs are used to having no warranty; so that's not an issue with them.

Most people who had macs before Jaguar had to pony up the $129 if they wanted it. But then again some people wanted to install OS 9, something the new macs can't, and others may want linux or darwin to play with. If you build a PC you have to buy the operating system too. If you buy a refurbished mac you're going to get a 90day warranty as well for close to new prices for older hardware too.

If you're not a student, you're not going to get a discount. And even then it doesn't take that much off the top. A friend ordered an Emac a few months ago and took advantage of the student discount--$50 off. Wow thanks apple, you've saved lots of money. And for the ADC discount, I'm pretty sure that you'd have to jump through hoops to get it. And to get it when you aren't really a apple developer is dishonest and you should be ashamed to suggest or promote this type of activity on this forum.

I've told people on the other forum not to try to "trick" out their machines; they're not going to get the same performance. But if you compare your machine to an emac/imac (and keep the prices in that same range), that's where your value lies. You can get a 1GHz machine with 512 ram, 60 gig hd and a DVD-R for $1200, and have the expandibility later to change processors, add firewire 800 when more devices become available or even add USB 2.0. You also get the L3 cache, which is missing on these machines.

For the money I spent I got a good value. Personally I'm bought a corecrib so I can buy a 970 powerbook later. Put together a low cost, expandable, decent machine now and get a revolutionary laptop later. That's what I'm saving my pennies for.

Terrance
( Last edited by terrancew_hod; May 15, 2003 at 09:54 AM. )

Staatkunde
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2003, 11:07 AM

Why would I post to MacNN forums when the Crib is the first mac I've owned?

Go to Apple.com, the "Ultimate" machine is $3799. I said Power Macs priced to $1500-3000, why argue they don't sell a Power Mac for $3,000?

Order a Crib with your Credit Card via Paypal. If it is a scam, Visa will get you your money back. I was a bit apprehensive myself, but with a Credit Card, you have no worries.

Apple is a monopoly with their hardware, you get old technology in the Crib, because Apple is a monopoly. I'd be willing to match my Crib against any new Power Mac to compare DDR memory and 167mhz bus to my 100mhz bus and PC133 memory. You'll find the difference isn't that great.
-Mark

Mario Micheli
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2003, 12:10 PM

It's really great to hear that all the work I've been doing on the CoreBox project is just window dressing for a scam. I'm sure the metal fabricator and prototype builder would love to hear about this as well!

People, This guy is obviously trolling. I would be happy to show you my mechanical drawings, my communications w/ John Fraser regarding the progress, etc. I don't thik that it is necessary though, given the childish tenor of this guy's post.

Mario Micheli
Chief Industrial Desiger
Core Computers

Finrock
Forum Regular
May 15, 2003, 02:40 PM

I wonder if I have the qualifications to post on this thread...

post count > 10 - yes
registration date before 5/03 - yes

Ok, so I guess I'm qualified. I have known the guys who are working on the iBox for a number of years. If you have been following the story at all you would understand that there are various legal implications with this project and the iBox team is fully aware of them. However, this is not a scam, rather a fantastic attempt at producing an affordable computer system that uses Apple motherboards to run the Macintosh operating system. Nothing more, nothing less.

I don't think anyone on the iBox team have any ideas of getting rich (by selling or scamming) but rather to see if it indeed can be done.

For once can't we just take the story at its face value? Sure, there is a lot of shady business going on in this world, but that doesn't mean everyone is out to get you.

Do I know for sure that these machines will ever be produced? Of course not. But I do know that they are doing their best to make it happen.

And please, who cares if they don't have AirPort Extreme or DDR or any other high-end features? Remember, different people have different computing needs. Some of us don't need the latest and greatest. The iBox might fill a niche for some users. If you are not one of these users, what is the point of pointing out its shortcomings? Just don't buy it. Case closed.

In any case, they have done a great job thus far and I support them all the way. I wish them the best of luck on this project.

-Finrock

RAMdrd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2003, 02:53 PM

This is probably my second post at MacNN even though I've been a member for more than as many days. As I don't have a high enough post count here to satisfy some folks, you might check out dealmac.com and hit the "...more at the Forums" link. A search will show I have at least a couple of hundred posts there, for those who seem to need that. The r in RAMdrd is actually the "Registered" symbol (Opt-R) but I can't reproduce that at MacNN.

There was a link to this thread posted at dealmac (at the forum previously known as dealchat) so I thought I'd drop in.

I don't know what the minimum post count is here to "voice" an opinion or to merit consideration, but I'll give one, regardless.

Certainly it would be wise for anyone to use caution when buying from an untested source. This is common sense and I doubt anybody could refute that.

But using caution (and the aforementioned common sense) is not the same as categorically declaring that someone is committing fraud and larceny, by virtue of a "scam". The accuser does not advise caution but actually labels the enterprise a scam, and accuses them of planning fraud.

Yet he offers no proof. He says "I'm John Fraser. Prove I'm not." But he expects his "observations" to be taken as evidence, and his conclusions to be considered as facts. It seems his perspective is "that which cannot be proved, must be true."

I cannot vouch for the character or progress of John Fraser and Mario, but they and many of us at dealchat lamented the hole in Apple's lineup. As a Cube owner, I felt we needed a Cube II so that we could choose our own monitor, unlike the iMac and eMac.

Others went farther and wanted an upgradeable box as well. John (aka Insider) thought that a reasonably priced alternative to a full blown tower was possible. This went on for sometime, and both solicited suggestions as well as comments on design concepts. I, along with others became intrigued with the idea, and hopeful that this would at least get off the ground. Then OWC Larry entered the picture, and I thought "this might have a real chance".

From the beginning, Insider said this was not about reinventing the carburetor and getting 200mpg. It was about making a box with an Apple ROM that a user could customize at will, for well under $1000.

Does this mean that the iBox (I prefer that name, although it was just a working title) will reach fruition and become a household product? Of course not. But there is nothing that suggests the "reasonable and prudent man" (a standard of CA law) *must* see this as a scam, let alone proclaim it as such.

Does this mean that one should use common sense before ordering one? Certrainly. A number of Mac-centric businesses have folded over the years, on of the latest being Macs4All. Big guys and little guys bite the dust. That doesn't mean they must have been crooks. And it's unfair (and likely actionble) to call anyone and everyone connected with this venture, crooks. That's just what d-j is doing.

The other guy who declares the business model unworkable is being much more objective, but I think he's still operating with some bias. But I'm not declaring his view point to be a scam.

I'm still hopeful that they will succeed, even if to only sell 100 iBoxes. I think that would be pretty cool.

I have to wonder if d-j will apologize for his obvious *attacks* if they do sell some iBs. Likely he will just change his accusations- "Yeah, well... I bet they'll never sell 1000... I bet they'll never sell 10,000!!!" Well, it's clear he has issues and some kind of agenda.

Speaking of post counts, it's interesting to see the three basic categories I've noticed (only in this thread): Over a thousand- reasoned, and objective; 50is- hard core detractors; 10 or less- obvious shills. (WTF?!) Of course, we know there are exceptions to every rule. With my own count, I definitely must lack objectivity and working knowledge of all things Mac.

Me... I'll just wait and see how it goes, wishing John and Mario fair seas.

cowerd
Senior User
May 15, 2003, 02:55 PM

At the very least we should wait and see if OWC does indeed distribute these computers.
And who is the one screaming at the top of their lungs that it is a scam.
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
May 15, 2003, 03:55 PM

Order a Crib with your Credit Card via Paypal. If it is a scam, Visa will get you your money back. I was a bit apprehensive myself, but with a Credit Card, you have no worries.
Scores of people trusted paypal with the J.C Morris laptop "deal"...and look where they ended up. Paypal is NOT to be trusted for something high-dollar like this.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2003, 09:36 PM

This is the dumbest thread ever.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2003, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by chrisutley:
This is the dumbest thread ever.
And unfortunately your post missed the opportunity to make it be less dumb.

-LD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2003, 09:13 AM

i'm still waiting for digi-j to give us some proof to back up his claims...he is the one making the claim, the burden of proof is on him to back up what he's saying

can you do that digi-j?

-LD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2003, 02:33 PM

digi-j, did you disappear? i'm still waiting for your evidence

JNG
Forum Regular
May 18, 2003, 12:47 AM

Somewhere along the line, this degraded from "is it real?" to "is it a real good idea?" to "you shouldn't have said that to me."

People, the product obviously exists, and another version may well come to fruition. If you still believe otherwise, don't order either one. No one here seems to hold the attitude,"I'd love one, but they don't really exist!" It's apparently for or against.

If "For:" http://www.2khappyware.com

If "Against:" http://www.apple.com/store

digi-j  (op)
May 18, 2003, 04:09 AM

I would be happy to show you my mechanical drawings, my communications w/ John Fraser regarding the progress, etc.
Why don't you post it? Why isn't it on the website? The webpage for the "CoreBox" is just a small paragraph of what it "may contain" and there is no evidence more than a crappy image that any entry-level person with a 3D program could make in a few minutes.

The page also has a blatant lie:

Originally Posted by 2khappyware.com
The CoreBox is a consumer computer kit that is expanable and as fast or faster than today?s $2000-3000 towers.
First of all, does it have DDR support? NODoes it contain the mainboard chipset improvements of the latest version of PowerMac? NO Is the dual CPU configuration merely an add-on card from OWC? YES Clearly nothing you could 'manufacture' could be "as fast" and definitely NOT FASTER.

How about this- will a Radeon 9700 work in it? Does it support AGP 4X? Will it support hard drives up to 250 GB? The list goes on...

Mario Micheli
Chief Industrial Desiger
Core Computers
I see. You make a case-mod to take a hacked PC case and fit an Apple mainboard inside, and suddenly you are an engineer? You draw a silly picture of a fictional computer and suddenly get the title "Industrial Designer"? btw, learn to spell your self-proclaimed title correctly next time. Designers who can't spell "Designer" look stupid.

I tell you what. If the CoreBox is ever a REAL product, I will be one of the first to buy one.

digi-j  (op)
May 18, 2003, 04:19 AM

Originally posted by -LD:
the burden of proof is on him to back up what he's saying

can you do that digi-j?
Burden of proof?! Wow man, stop watching people's court Mr. Armchair Lawyer.

#1. There is no CoreBox
#2. The CoreCrib has not been reviewed by a reputable publication
#3. There is no CoreCrib distribution with OWC
#4. Technical claims made by 2khappyware.com regarding the speed of their computers are lies. "As fast or faster than todays PowerMacs" which couldn't possibly be true.
#5. Once you factor in cost of remaining hardware, lack of support, lack of warranty, lack of software, lack of genuine Apple brand style and value, and the fact that it is ILLEGAL to install OS X or any other Apple software on it, and parts are not new rolling off the assemply lines, what are you left with?

CompUSA has auctions that often sell PowerMac cases for very cheap. Right now they have several B&W G3 PowerMacs COMPLETE for the price of a CoreCrib. On eBay, PowerMac cases and parts are always available. Simply put: CoreComputers is a bad idea any way you look at it.

gizzard
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2003, 04:21 AM

Burden of proof?! Wow man, stop watching people's court Mr. Armchair Lawyer.

#1. There is no CoreBox
#2. The CoreCrib has not been reviewed by a reputable publication
#3. There is no CoreCrib distribution with OWC
#4. Technical claims made by 2khappyware.com regarding the speed of their computers are lies. "As fast or faster than todays PowerMacs" which couldn't possibly be true.
#5. Once you factor in cost of remaining hardware, lack of support, lack of warranty, lack of software, lack of genuine Apple brand style and value, and the fact that it is ILLEGAL to install OS X or any other Apple software on it, and parts are not new rolling off the assemply lines, what are you left with?

CompUSA has auctions that often sell PowerMac cases for very cheap. Right now they have several B&W G3 PowerMacs COMPLETE for the price of a CoreCrib. On eBay, PowerMac cases and parts are always available. Simply puy: CoreComputers is a bad idea any way you look at it.
Don't you ever get tired of posting the exact same thing over and over and over? You've been proven wrong already so just zip it.

digi-j  (op)
May 18, 2003, 04:29 AM

ALL PC cases meet FCC reqs otherwise they couldn't be sold.
do you have a camera? Take a picture of the back of your case when nothing is plugged into it. Post it online. See that huge gaping hole? That's the FCC violation you claim doesn't exist.

digi-j  (op)
May 18, 2003, 04:31 AM

Originally posted by gizzard:
You've been proven wrong already so just zip it.
proven wrong?!!! oh. my. god. WHERE?! SHOW ME THE COREBOX!!!! SHOW ME A REAL REVIEW OF THE CORECRIB!!! THERE ISN'T ONE!!!

A college kid's blog is not a review, and it is not proof.

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
May 18, 2003, 12:44 PM

do you have a camera? Take a picture of the back of your case when nothing is plugged into it. Post it online. See that huge gaping hole? That's the FCC violation you claim doesn't exist.
Then, don't get one. It's as simple as that. Then move on to something else. You're just ranting. Let's be bigger than this. This machine is not for everyone; I've already said that. It's not meant to compete on the service levels of a Apple or Dell.

It's meant to provide a service of giving some a low cost, expandible mac alternative. If you don't like the service they provide, then don't give the operation any consideration.

But people should have the opportunity to make their own decisions, not listen to someone who obviously is biased against the whole thing but doesn't offer real proof of a scam, nitpicks on items only the newest of mac owners will be able to get, and offers inconsistencies, half-truths and false statements to get people not to consider them.

Like I said in another post, if you want to get more information register (if you want) at the 2khappyware.com support forum. They should be able to answer your questions better that this guy that's not giving you all the facts or old and incorrect information.

This way you can determine whether this is right for you or not. If you don't like what they offer, then find another alternative. Can't be easier than that, can it? But at least you can post a question, get it answered objectively without someone chiming in that in my opinion has his own agenda in this...

Terrance

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
May 18, 2003, 03:39 PM

This thread has lost all purpose
Feel free to try again in a more civil manner
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Forum Links
Forum Rules