Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Theme: Meteora

Theme: Meteora (Page 2)
Lyric OS 13.0
Apr 19, 2003, 01:16 AM

::CarbonG4::

Thanks for allowing me to do this....

drrrrrrrooooooolllll... (Can't wait until it's done...But take your time, it'll be great!)

headbirth
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2003, 09:27 AM

should't the background color of the menu be the same as the color of the selected menu bar item?

not sure if I care for the white line outlining the menu bar item.

just a couple things to think about ;-)

Thanks for creating this thing dude!

NathanA
Apr 21, 2003, 01:40 PM

Here's the latest progress with Meteora with respect to the widgets.

These are the new things:

-Checkboxes
-Scrollbars
-Scroll thumb
-Tabs
-Slider
-Marked Slider
-and a questionable state for the combobox

There are a lot of things left to do, a lot.

From the picture alone you can see that new buttons need to be made, as well as new radio buttons. Those are only the tip of the iceberg.

Progress is slow because Carbon and I are both very busy, but as we get free time we are continuing to work on this theme.

As always feedback on what you can see so far is always much appreciated.

-Nathan

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 21, 2003, 04:26 PM

The preview looks good and all, but those watercolor-like radio buttons are not quite right...

They look like they have an aliasing problem or something. I like nice smooth lines and curves...

Am I making any sense?

NathanA
Apr 21, 2003, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by SwarmyCurve:
The preview looks good and all, but those watercolor-like radio buttons are not quite right...

They look like they have an aliasing problem or something. I like nice smooth lines and curves...

Am I making any sense?
Yeah both the radio buttons and the regular buttons are going to be redone, I haven't had a chance to finalize a style that I like for either of them though.

Oh and Carbon I'm having a hell of a time with the drop shadows, Photoshop doesn't have a default drop shadow filter that I can find. I've been doing all of mine by hand. Considering that though, I think they are turning out okay

-Nathan

smeger
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2003, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by NathanA:
Oh and Carbon I'm having a hell of a time with the drop shadows, Photoshop doesn't have a default drop shadow filter that I can find. I've been doing all of mine by hand. Considering that though, I think they are turning out okay
There's a Dropshadow Layer Effect in Photoshop. On the Layers panel, it's the small icon at the bottom that looks like a circle around an F.

Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 21, 2003, 06:19 PM

If my last post came off as being mean-spirited, I didn't mean it! The theme is coming along very well and its good to see you are not afraid to take your time and do it right.

I wanted to just point out how I didn't want the radio buttons to look like.

FB Eye
Senior User
May 5, 2003, 11:23 AM

how are things coming along? any new development newsworthy?

tiffer17
Forum Regular
May 10, 2003, 03:48 PM

::BUMP::

How is it going? I'm really looking forward to this one.

..::|:chris:|::..

FB Eye
Senior User
May 15, 2003, 08:29 AM

No news = good news?

NathanA
May 15, 2003, 04:21 PM

Things are finally going to start picking up with this theme. Both Carbon and myself have a bit more free time now to work on it.

-Nathan

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
May 16, 2003, 06:07 PM

Cool
click one

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2003, 12:17 AM

Ok, so it's been two months already and you're wondering "wtf?!"...

Well, to be honest after I finished finals a few weeks ago I have had zero interest in all of my theme work. So that was a pretty big set back time wise... and now for the really big set back... tonight I pretty much completely redid or redesigned all of the major elements of Meteora.

I did all the changes on a mockup, and just kept going w/ the newer look and feel of the elements. So now, all the work that was already done on the theme itself will need to be redone

I hope the majority of people like the new look better than the original look (if anyone still remembers the original look )

Basically, every thing you see in the follow screenshots is new:

And some minor technical difficulties...
? The text in the menubar (File, Edit, etc) needs to be moved upward by one pixel... but from what I've read and seen from Max and O'sigh this should just be a layo mod.
? Not sure if the scroll thumbs will display properly in the current design... I have a bad feeling that near the end caps of the thumb there will be some overlapping of the orange strokes that give the scroll thumb it's texture.

With all that crap out of the way... I'm not sure if I should just put this theme on the back-burner and wait until Panther is out (or at least have some knowledge of how/if it will change the state of themeing dramatically). I would be able to focus on updates to my current themes and have some relaxation time while I wait for ThemePark 1.0 and Panther information.

EDIT: just for fun, here's the original mockup of Meteora from two months or so ago:

Later
//Carbon
( Last edited by CarbonG4; May 27, 2003 at 01:15 AM. )

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

Sage
Mac Elite
May 27, 2003, 01:04 AM

I'm having a bit of trouble remembering what the previous version looked like, but this looks quite nice!

However, I do remember the old scrollbars, and I think those were better... these ones bring a bit too much attention to themselves.

Also, personally, I'm not really digging the little square holes... I dunno, to me they just seem to make some of the elements look like they came out of molds at a factory. But hey, I can see where you're going with them, so keep them if you like.

The overall theme is very nice. And those progress bars are gorgeous!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
May 27, 2003, 01:12 AM

I'm not sure if I like the orange in this theme, but it's cool. I like all the non-orange parts best:

Make a ver with a lite blue in place of the orange, and I'll download it.
click one

Jasoco
Mac Elite
May 27, 2003, 02:21 AM

NO!

KEEP THE ORANGE!

You remove the Orange and I won't even use it. I'm serious. Blue and Orange are perfect together.

The only part I do not like is the Apple Logo. It does not fit. It's got a Photoshop bevel look that clashes wioth the rest of the theme and doesn't look good by itself. It doesn't HAVE to be an Apple, but you could make somethign better if you try.

I can't wait to try this. I hope I like it, I seem to have gotten attached to Smooth Stripes lately and can't picture anything else on my screen. So I'll have to see it in person for myself on my screen in person for myself to know if I'll like it.

I know what it's like to be in the middle of a project then lose interest. I have done it many times. And I hate it. Especially when you have to do it and end up forcing yourself but not being able to enjoy it.

p.h..i...l....
Forum Regular
May 27, 2003, 05:31 AM

i like it like this...... and i dont mind waiting, take your time........ ;-)

sniffer
Professional Poster
May 27, 2003, 07:41 AM

Pretty neat improvments. Nice details.

BTW: First thing that hits me is that it feels a bit "sweedish" because of the colors, but I'll guess that's just me. (blue and yellow is the color of the sweedish flag)

Sniffer gone old-school sig

swiz
GUI Punk
May 27, 2003, 08:50 AM

The new one kicks the originals ass. Way to go Carbon

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

FB Eye
Senior User
May 27, 2003, 09:09 AM

Hmm, I don't know... I think I prefered the original one

I liked the flatness of the original design, I think that's what made it so different... so I don't especially like the blue gradients that are popping up here and there on buttons and menubars...

BUT, it still looks awesome so ignore my concerns so people can finally get their hands on it

ubba
May 27, 2003, 09:27 AM

The new one is tooooo much better... with orange parts.

jo

wagmedia
Forum Regular
May 27, 2003, 09:49 AM

Hey Carbon, I like the new look of Meteora. I really like the colored bars as the active buttons

Dace
Mac Elite
May 27, 2003, 10:02 AM

I'm sad to hear you lost interest, I'm even more sad to see that you drastically changed the look of this theme. I was anxiously awaiting Meteora...it was a beautiful, simplistic, original flat theme. Now it looks like one of those amateurish K-Schemes that seem to populate the Kaleidoscope website. I absolutely don't like this new direction you are taking with the theme and I don't mind being honest about it. The old look was better, it was just the widgets that needed to be a bit more original and creative...less Watercolor like. Anyhow, it's your theme...I'll just have to stick with Aqua and wait.

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

Jasoco
Mac Elite
May 27, 2003, 04:14 PM

Don't listen to Dace. It's much better now than it was.

Just make the large thick progress bar look like the smaller one and the apple logo not embossed.

Gatorzx2
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2003, 05:01 PM

I still like it. Keep working hard.

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2003, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by Jasoco:
Just make the large thick progress bar look like the smaller one and the apple logo not embossed.
Agreed. Pretty sure I'm gonna carry the orange pez look throughout all of the progress bars. And the Apple logo is gone, the embossed one looked really nasty when I started running the new build of Meteora. I know how picky you guys are about an Apple logo, but I've created a button similar to the original design of Meteora:

Also, check out the 'glass' menus... what do you guys think:

click here for preview

p.h..i...l....
Forum Regular
May 27, 2003, 05:49 PM

wohooo, looks killer.... i'm not picky about the apple-menu, consistency is more important. love it!

FB Eye
Senior User
May 27, 2003, 05:53 PM

I sure miss the flat look, but still rocks nonetheless...

How about a "flat" variation without the gradients in the titlebars and buttons? Then you'd have Meteora and Meteora Retro

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
May 27, 2003, 06:36 PM

NO!

KEEP THE ORANGE!

You remove the Orange and I won't even use it. I'm serious. Blue and Orange are perfect together.
I never said to remove the orange all together, I just would like a variation without orange.
click one

Jasoco
Mac Elite
May 27, 2003, 06:57 PM

Let him finish the regiular one first. Then you can talk variations.

fireside
Professional Poster
May 27, 2003, 07:07 PM

Don't listen to Dace. It's much better now than it was.

oh please. dont make people's opinions look like nothing. and i totally agree with dace. i liked the old look a LOT better.

mrfrost
Mac Elite
May 27, 2003, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
oh please. dont make people's opinions look like nothing. and i totally agree with dace. i liked the old look a LOT better.
Ditto, I don't dislike the new version though. I just prefer the old one.

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2003, 08:13 PM

It looks very tasty indeed.
The looks like the title bars' blue is fairly dark....how does text show up in cocoa apps?
Also, when implementing the theme, please leave brushed-apps as brushed and not some crazy variation.
jesse ;-)

NathanA
May 27, 2003, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by jessejlt:
It looks very tasty indeed.
The looks like the title bars' blue is fairly dark....how does text show up in cocoa apps?
Also, when implementing the theme, please leave brushed-apps as brushed and not some crazy variation.
jesse ;-)
We had considered trying to do something custom, but still very cool.

If we do make a variant which has a custom look for brushed panels you can be rest assured that it will either look good or it won't happen, because Carbon and I are both of the school of thought that up to now there haven't really been any compelling brushed metal replacements.

-Nathan

Jasoco
Mac Elite
May 27, 2003, 08:30 PM

I've NEVER liked any so called "Good" brushed Metal replacement look and would rather it not change at all than you touch one single pixel of it.

But of course, I can fix it myself so I don't mind.

fireside
Professional Poster
May 27, 2003, 11:06 PM

the only part of the widgets i do like are the selected ones. i do however like the new scroll bars. thats... about it. :/

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2003, 01:34 AM

I've NEVER liked any so called "Good" brushed Metal replacement look and would rather it not change at all than you touch one single pixel of it.

But of course, I can fix it myself so I don't mind.
BAH! Here's the so-called "crazy variation" of Brushed that will be in Meteora:

You can't really see it too well in the pictures, but it has a nice center-lit blue gradient much like the lighting on the standard-brushed look. Don't have a kernel panic yet, there will probably be a standard-brush version as well

Btw, if you look close at the iChat picture you'll see the finallized scrollbars. The previous scroll thumb didn't work, as I had thought from the beginning... there was really ugly trimming and shaving on the orange pez at both ends of the scroll thumb caps. I'm really satisfied w/ how the final scrollbars turned out.

//Carbon

(edit: added texture to brushed, updated pictures)
( Last edited by CarbonG4; May 28, 2003 at 01:58 AM. )

Jasoco
Mac Elite
May 28, 2003, 02:16 AM

Carbon. I think you've done the impossible. THAT is a Metal I would keep. All variations of Metal up to now have been bad. That one is good enough to keep.

I can't wait to try the Theme. Please hurry!!

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2003, 04:28 AM

That is a slick metal variation. ETA on release?
jesse ;-)

fireside
Professional Poster
May 28, 2003, 07:25 PM

the solid blue behind the widgets in the brushed metal looks stupid. especially since its just for the Open, Close, Minimize and not the bar thing.

RGB
Mac Elite
May 28, 2003, 10:43 PM

This theme is really growing on me. Keep up the good work!

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
May 28, 2003, 11:08 PM

**DROOOOOOOOOLLLL**

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2003, 07:46 PM

Haven't heard anything for a while. I hope this theme hasn't fallen off the deep-end somewhere. Any news? Perhaps a new teaser?
ETA?
jesse ;-)

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2003, 10:05 PM

Looking cool. I hope it will be out soon.
click one

NathanA
Jun 3, 2003, 03:35 PM

Man you guys are impatient

I don't have an updated version of this theme to work on from Carbon yet, but in all fairness I don't have internet access at home at the moment so he'd have a hard time sending it to me.

However Carbon, if you get this message feel free to fire off an e-mail with the latest version to me so I can work on the scroll thumbs issue and the push buttons, as well as see what I can do with the radio buttons.

The next time I make my way down to the deli I'll hop on their wireless network and grab it, my new house is mostly setup and I'm pretty much all settled so other than producing records after work I have time to play with the theme now.

-Nathan

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2003, 05:19 PM

*bump*
Hello?

Patience is not my virtue.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2003, 06:22 PM

Hey Carbon, those scroll thumbs are coming along real well, but I accidently lost the theme when I switched computers. My email has also changed, it's now [email protected]. Maybe you should send the theme there asap.

-Nathan

well, it was worth a try.

J_Anderton
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2003, 08:11 PM

At first, I wasn't feeling this theme, but after looking at the improvements, I'm really feeling it.

It's very original, design wise and a nice set of colors as well. I also love the name.

Keep up the good work, and I as everyone else is getting a little impatient.

Free Your Mind

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2003, 07:59 PM

Any news?
jesse ;-)

Fallout
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 18, 2003, 05:54 PM

Any news?
jesse ;-)
Apparently not, dicko. Why must this thread be bumped every few days? Carbon will update it when he gets something done.

Forum Links
Forum Rules