Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Key Code translation?

Key Code translation?
Seb G
Forum Regular
May 19, 2002, 01:10 PM

Is there any quick way in Cocoa/ObjC to translate the Key Code, as returned by the keyCode method of an NSEvent, into the corresponding character, subject to the current keyboard setting? I don't have any key event hanging around, as I'm doing something like the Key Caps utility.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
May 19, 2002, 05:14 PM

Call characters off the NSEvent instance.

HTH,
F-bacher

Seb G  (op)
Forum Regular
May 19, 2002, 05:50 PM

Ghoser, unfortunately I don't have any instance of NSEvent handy. I'm trying to draw a virtual keyboard.

Gametes
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2003, 05:30 PM

This seems a curious omission, but... it appears Apple does not have an NSEnterKey or NSReturnKey constant for the NSEvent class.

In fact, calling [theEvent characters] does not return anything for the former and simply returns an "r" for the latter. How can I use that to tell when the user presses enter or return?!
What's more, the keyCode method returns an integer specific to the keyboard connected, thus making it totally useless, right? It'll be different on each keyboard.

How can I tell when enter has been pressed? In my app, I already have my custom NSView set up as the first responder, and it calls its method when a key is pressed. Now I need a way to filter it down to just those two keys.

I have been boning up on the responder chain, NSApplication event handling, and keyboard interface control, but none of these are either helping or hindering me. It's simply undefined. any ideas?
Thanks.
you are not your signature

disco_stu
Jul 10, 2003, 06:30 PM

Perhaps I'm not following what you guys are looking for, but this works fine for me in my view subclass:

- (void)keyDown:(NSEvent *)theEvent
{
char c = [[theEvent characters] characterAtIndex:0];
if ( c == 0x03 )
NSLog( @"Backslash N" );
else if ( c == '\r' )
NSLog( @"Backslash R" );
else
NSLog( @"%c", c );
}

Check out the thread here - it's where I came up with 0x03 instead of '\n':
http://cocoa.mamasam.com/COCOADEV/2001/08/2/10806.php