Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Help Getting a Copy of Word Perfect 3.5e

Help Getting a Copy of Word Perfect 3.5e
j aske
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2001, 09:47 PM

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of Word Perfect Enhancement Pack 3.5e? Apparently Corel has removed it from it's website, and it's not available from any "mainstream" download site (versiontracker, etc.). I need a copy to open Word Perfect files, and MS Word 2001 doesn't open them. Thanks.
-Jennings

VRL
Senior User
May 9, 2001, 05:54 AM

http://mac.tucows.netcon.net.au/mac.html

It appears you can still downlowd 3.5 here. Just do a search for wordperfect.

Hope this helps you.
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

j aske  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2001, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by VRL:
http://mac.tucows.netcon.net.au/mac.html

It appears you can still downlowd 3.5 here. Just do a search for wordperfect.

Hope this helps you.
Thanks. I forgot about Tucows. I downloaded the file, but when I attempt to install the uncompressed file, I receive an error message stating that Stuffit Expander cannot be found. I tried opening it directly with Stuffit 6.1, and it then tells me that the file cannot be opened. Any ideas.

VRL
Senior User
May 10, 2001, 06:24 AM

Give it what it wants I unstuffed it successfully by dragging it (the WordPerfect file I downloaded) onto Stuffit Expander.

Perhaps downloading it again is worth a try, in case your previous download was somehow corrupted.
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

chumley
May 11, 2001, 06:48 PM

First of all, thanks, VRL for the info on WP!

Had the same problem-needed WP; had lost my old copy...

Saw your post with TuCows site (cool site!); downloaded the file, and-same problem as j aske, even with repeated drag 'n drops to Stuffit Expander 6.0.1...must've gotten corrupted (on their server?), because I downloaded it 3 different times, with the same result.

Here's another place to get it, and it decompressed/installed works great!
http://downloads.excite.ca/mac/textmac_license.html

Thanks for the 411 on its continuing existence out there on the web. I thought it was gone forever!

-chumley

j aske  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2001, 10:28 PM

Thanks for the link. I tried several Tucows affiliated sites, and just gave up. But this site seems to have an uncorrupted version, and it installed perfectly.

I go to law school, and WordPerfect (for Windows) is still used by many lawyers (I think almost 1/4 of all firms). I needed something to translate WP files, and MS Office 2001 cannot do the job. And I know, I could buy MacLink Plus, but I'd rather not. My tuition is a bitch, and I'm saving money for software that runs natively on OS X.

Again, thanks for the link.

Jennings

chumley
May 12, 2001, 03:21 PM

Where do you think I learned WP?

Worked for several lawyers as a PL; passed the CA Bar Exam w/o Law School, but am itching to go get JD at some point...

Just as long as I can continue to develop book designs on the Mac, and consult for US 70.00+ an hour when the urge strikes, I may just be scared/worked/bored to death for three years soon...

Glad to return the favor!

-chumley

ktz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2001, 02:59 PM

Downloads and other info from the now-defunct Word Perfect list (WP-L) is located at

ftp://ftp.r8ix.com/wp-l_stuff/

Includes 3.5e and all related updates. In the folder called "John's Stuff" is the multitude of macros developed by John Rethorst. In addition, this site includes an OS8/9 update developed by John R.

--
Just call me,

Another Word Perfect Mac dinosaur, hanging on despite Corel's attempt to make us extinct

rtrying
May 22, 2001, 04:29 AM

Have tried all the sites mentioned for downloading a copy of Word Perfect 3.5e
All have been corrupted! Is there any other unmentioned site that you have found. Thanks for any co-operation : )

[This message has been edited by rtrying (edited 05-25-2001).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules