Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbooks at MacWorld SF?

Powerbooks at MacWorld SF?
Putta
Nov 28, 2003, 08:04 AM

So, my girlfriend is in the market to buy a machine and is looking at the 15 inch albook.

I know that half of you are going to write back and say just get the machine now, so consider that I have already taken that into account.

I just think the PB is going to get an update there and wondered what you all thought.

The iMac has had a pretty big revision, the pricing change and new model G5 means its less likely we'll see either updated (though I do think some time around Feb/March they will update the G5.

The iPod may get a revision (are there 60Gb drives yet?) but not enough for a whole keynote.

The iBooks have just gone G4, they won't get an update will they?

Finally, the Xserve is the most deserving but to all accounts I have read, not technically up to scratch for an update. Plus, xserves are not really consumer machines and surely Apple would want to do something with a more user-centric approach?

Thoughts, anyone?

Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 28, 2003, 09:23 AM

Hi
I think Jobs will announce a brand new mac since Apple will celebrate the Macintosh 20th anniversary. Maybe that will be a portable ? A tablet ? A G5 cube ? A redesigned iMac (don't think so since the iMac just got a new 20" display).

The notebook market is a sector of growth, so it is important for Apple to be present with maybe more than 2 models (iBook and Powerbook).

If it is a mac designed to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Macintosh, it should be something really cool and never seen before. I read something about a tablet that could stream video to other device i.e.

Anyway. I don't think the PB will be upgraded until March-April.
S k y p a t

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2003, 10:40 AM

I'm also in the market for a new PowerBook. While it's true that there will always be new and improved versions of PowerBooks,I would hate to get something and have Apple release an updated version in 1 month. No one really knows what will be released. I'm having such a hard time deciding because there is a chance for me to leave the country (USA) and Apple is not readily available where I'll be. But I'm just 3 hours flight away from Japan so I can always stop by and get one there. So for me right now:
To buy or not to buy, that is the question.

Aiglos
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2003, 11:06 AM

I'm in the same boat... If Apple revises its powerbook line @ SF then I think I'll get one in Jan-Feb. But if they don't revise the line then I'm sticking w/ my original plan and waiting until april-may when I accumulate hords of cash.

I'm pretty sure that the powerbooks will be revised though, gut feeling really. Since nearly all of Apple's product line have been tweaked recently. I'm expecting at least a speed bump at the same price for the powerbook line.

Here's to a new 'book in January!

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2003, 11:58 AM

I am also thinking that new PowerBooks may make their way to MWSF, even though they were updated in mid-September.

A likely scenario:

The low-end 15.2-inch will be replaced by the current high-end 15.2-inch, and a new 15.4-inch top model at 1.33 MHz will be introduced. The 12-inch PB will get a boost to 1.25 GHz. Meanwhile, nothing going with the top-end 17-inch.

Another likely scenario:
New PowerBooks are introduced using dual G4 processors (or G5s) and liquid cooling technology from Cooligy.

Yet Another Likely Scenario�:
Nothing happens!
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2003, 12:13 PM

I don't think there will be any major revisions to the Powerbook line. I am thinking that the only thing the is prime for an upgrade would be Cinema Displays. If anything happens with the Powerbooks, I would think it might be just a minor price cut.

-b

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2003, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by Aiglos:
...I'm pretty sure that the powerbooks will be revised though, gut feeling really...I'm expecting at least a speed bump at the same price for the powerbook line.

Here's to a new 'book in January!
That's my hunch also, speed boost for the PowerBook line. While the 15" Al is "new" as it was recently introduced this Sept./Oct. 2003, the 12" and 17" models were introduced Jan. 2003 (I think). And eventhough the 12" & 17" got speed boosts also, don't forget that Apple does not want their precious PowerBook line to fall too far behind the G5 (with Jobs saying that the G5's will hit 3GHz by summer). So my guess is that Apple will do *something* to spice up or refresh the PB line.

C-Bear
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2003, 04:06 PM

My fearless prediction for SF is that they're going to release new, non-white spot, working latch, third-party RAM accepting Alu15"s. Just a gut-feeling.

Bet they'll be the toast of the town...
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine

Seqiro
Nov 28, 2003, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by aapljack:
I don't think there will be any major revisions to the Powerbook line. I am thinking that the only thing the is prime for an upgrade would be Cinema Displays. If anything happens with the Powerbooks, I would think it might be just a minor price cut.

-b
I'd agree with this. The Powerbooks were just refreshed two months ago.

Peabo
Senior User
Nov 28, 2003, 05:19 PM

it took them 9 months to refresh the powerbook line last time, I doubt that they will do it again in less than 4.
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2003, 05:20 PM

Last year, Titaniums were revised on November 6, 2002. Then at MacWorld in January, two new PowerBook models were introduced. So you never know...
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

Seqiro
Nov 28, 2003, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by Dave Hagan:
Last year, Titaniums were revised on November 6, 2002. Then at MacWorld in January, two new PowerBook models were introduced. So you never know...
Yes but in that case, they added two models that didn't exist. I just don't see that happening already, the titaniums were around for awhile before they got replaced by something new. The aluminums are still hot off the presses.

curmudgeon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2003, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by Dave Hagan:
The low-end 15.2-inch will be replaced by the current high-end 15.2-inch, and a new 15.4-inch top model at 1.33 MHz will be introduced. The 12-inch PB will get a boost to 1.25 GHz. Meanwhile, nothing going with the top-end 17-inch.
Jesus christ, again with this 15.4" nonsense? Didn't you people learn your lesson when the 15" was last updated?

Please accept this warm glass of STFU.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2003, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by curmudgeon:
Jesus christ, again with this 15.4" nonsense? Didn't you people learn your lesson when the 15" was last updated?

Yeah, I know.

acadian
Senior User
Nov 29, 2003, 01:05 AM

Unlikely we'll see an updated PB, we will see a "real" update to the powermac line with the highend at around 2.5. There was no major update to the imac at all, they just added a 20" screen with no internal changes at all. We will probably see the anticipated 30 display though.
people ruin everything....

DrDre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2003, 02:53 AM

My predictions for the powerbook line is that they will have to upgrade at least the 17 inch model and probably the 15 inch to include the top of the line video cards....some sort of portable NVIDIA 128 meg card or ATI which are available for PC laptops already (see Alienware). Since a prime target for Powerbooks is graphic professionals they must have top of the line video cards. This is my main reason for waiting...I expect to get a slightly speed bumped 15 inch AlBook with a 128 meg video card and perhaps an iSight type of device built-in come January 2004.

Not sure what else they can do to spruce up the powerbook line.

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 29, 2003, 03:19 AM

Originally posted by curmudgeon:

I immediately like you.

albook
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2003, 03:45 AM

At least they should put the 1.33GHz CPU from the 17" into a top-of-the-line 15" PB!
And fix all the current issues.

Then I would order my first Mac!

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2003, 10:35 AM

Guys, honestly, it's easier to just wait until macworld SF rather than throw out wild guesses. Everyone who says slight speed bump and upgraded internal components is probably right, but every computer company does that every few months or so.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2003, 01:45 PM

anaphora68: But we love "wild guesses." Honestly, I think one of the things that's so crazy and fascinating about speculating is that you can let your imagination run wild. That's the fun part. WE do this with each upcoming MacWorld and with each rumored product release. We love driving ourselves NUTS.

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2003, 01:46 PM

Before Apple debuts the Mobile G5 (which will hopefully be both powerful and efficient a la Intel Banias - aka Centrino), we'll probably see this next PowerBook refresh:

12" - 1.25GHz G4

15" - 1.33GHz G4

17" - 1.42GHz G4

When this will happen is anyone's guess. But more importantly, Apple needs to seriously evaluate their current battery situation. If the current G4 is not efficient enough, use larger batteries (even if they are a bit heavier).

From the looks of the current battery life situation, Apple needs to use 65-watt-hour batteries in all PowerBooks. Real time usage is not sitting with a dim screen doing nothing but typing an 18 page Word Document with WiFi turned off and nothing else running in the background. If that's all you do, get an iBook!

Commodus
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2003, 01:51 PM

I would seriously not even contemplate the idea that Apple will update the PowerBooks at MWSF 2004. They won't. If it's just a G4 update, they don't need to announce it at an expo; if it's a G5... well, sufficiently low-power G5s aren't likely to be ready in January.
 24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

DrDre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2003, 02:34 PM

Ok, here's a far off idea for the next Powerbook. First off, I doubt it is feasible to make anything bigger than the current 17 inch models, but certainly Apple could make something smaller.

What I envision is a Mini-Mac (CrabApple?) which is a sub-notebook 8 inch color screen using the Toshiba 1.8" drives like in the iPod. It would not have a built in CD/DVD drive but would come with an external Firewire one.

Finally, and I think this would be the real appeal...it would have a slot that would accept an extra battery (like the Pismo) or....it could dock with an iPod. Thus the iPod would fit inside this mini-mac and could act as a second drive and could sync with itunes, etc.

This would be a great way to get Switchers to the Apple platform for all of those who already own an iPod.

What do you guys think?

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2003, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by DrDre:
Ok, here's a far off idea for the next Powerbook. First off, I doubt it is feasible to make anything bigger than the current 17 inch models, but certainly Apple could make something smaller.

What I envision is a Mini-Mac (CrabApple?) which is a sub-notebook 8 inch color screen using the Toshiba 1.8" drives like in the iPod. It would not have a built in CD/DVD drive but would come with an external Firewire one.
These sub-notebooks are terrible.
I have used a couple of Sony ones, who the hell wants things like external CD and Ethernet, etc. Argh!

8-inch screens are too small, might be a good for a calculator or something. You can't do real work on those things. They are toys at best.

Finally, and I think this would be the real appeal...it would have a slot that would accept an extra battery (like the Pismo) or....it could dock with an iPod. Thus the iPod would fit inside this mini-mac and could act as a second drive and could sync with itunes, etc.

This would be a great way to get Switchers to the Apple platform for all of those who already own an iPod.
What are you smoking?

What do you guys think?
Get a 12" Powerbook and plug your iPod into it, problem solved.
( Last edited by RayX; Nov 29, 2003 at 08:29 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules