Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Formac Studio TVR Software Alternatives

Formac Studio TVR Software Alternatives
jsevier14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2003, 01:13 AM

Got a Formac Studio TVR. Great device, although what I've read here about Formac's customer service (if there is such a thing) is probably true. I requested an RMA about 10 days ago when I thought the thing was busted (just needed a software upgrade) and I still haven't heard back from them. They're website is idiotic too. What kind of website doesn't cloak your password?

I've found the software to be somewhat lacking too. It does everything I want except the one thing I bought the device for: Coverting DV to something that can be burnt to a DVD. I've tried exporting to Quicktime... that results in a crash. I tried exporting to MPEG, and that doesn't even report a crash, it just runs for a few minutes then the app just stops running...

Is there a better solution for dealing with this gimongous DV files that are created from recorded input? I have a 3 hour video I'd like to burn to 1/2 DVDs, and at this point, it looks like that's never gonna happen.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2003, 06:17 AM

There is a nice app called Vidi http://www.mitzpettel.com

However it lacks the Formac's ability to stream recorded video back out to the Formac Device. (Apple's "Simple Video Out" can do this though.)

As far as converting the DV files - I'd use QT player to manipulate/transcode the files.

biscool
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2003, 08:05 AM

Vidi doesn't work with the latest firmware, only older Studio/tv units. As for converting to DVD, I have no idea why QT pro is crashing on you. I have a studio/tv with vidi and I use qt pro and cleaner to dump stuff to dvd, vcd, and svcd with no problems. Perhaps you could try using imovie. Import the DV into imovie and then export that to idvd. Maybe that will help.....

edit- I reread your post, I thought QT pro was crashing on you. I would definitely use QT pro to convert from DV....

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2003, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by biscool:
Vidi doesn't work with the latest firmware, only older Studio/tv units.
Works for me - I have a PAL device with a recent firmware 1.0.8?

jedimstr
Nov 25, 2003, 04:21 PM

You could use the DV output from the Formac TVR's software natively in iMovie and Final Cut (both Express and Pro). From there it's a simple matter of editing your clips and importing them to iDVD or DVD Studio Pro.

I've used all the above without problems to transfer my DV TVR recordings to DVD. The key is to use the iMovie calibration built in to the TVR software's preferences... after that you're golden, no need to change those DV files to Quicktime!!!

I started out using the TVR-iMovie-iDVD method but I'm doing TVR-Final Cut Express-DVD Studio Pro2 now... just stick with the DV format files.

jsevier14  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2003, 02:33 AM

Allright, I downloaded QuickTime Pro, and that worked great. Editing is a little tricky, but using a PowerMate I was able to work out a method. It seems like the edits were quicker too than I'd get in iMovie unless I recorded straight to iMovie. That's not possible through the scheduler in the Formac Software that I can tell.

The QuickTime solution seemed to work with very little fuss until I viewed the first half of the three hours on a regular TV through a DVD player. Now the problem is the video itself looks choppy. Nothing like I expected. I'm going to try cutting it down to 60 minutes per disc to see if that clears away the choppiness. Any other suggestions?

It looks like I am watching one of those European telecasts of a soccer game or something... I know its not that I am set to PAL, but the output sure looks like it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules