Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther, sudden logout

Panther, sudden logout
t_hah
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2004, 04:27 PM

I was working in iPhoto today. I ejected a CD from my PowerBook G4's drive and then all the sudden the screen turned blue. It was like that for a few seconds, when the desktop background re-appeared, and then the Dock popped up.

All my login item started loading, and applications opened just when I log in the first time.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? Definitely something weird is going on here...

t

Terri
Senior User
Jul 17, 2004, 04:51 PM

My 17" was doing this when it had a stick of bad ram.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2004, 05:40 PM

Your loginwindow crashed, somehow. It's a background process that supports all your user stuff when you log in. Mine used to crash more frequently under 10.1 & 10.2.

You could check out you RAM, but it's probably no big deal, unless it starts happening all the time. You could also delete the loginwindow.plist (there's actually two-- one in your user prefs and another in /library/prefs

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

milfli
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2004, 10:54 PM

In 10.2 Mine would crash everytime I did anything to something on a flash memmory card...then ejected it...

in 10.3 I have to force quit the finder to get it to eject afterwards
It just works so I don't have to
;-)

pdot
Senior User
Jul 19, 2004, 03:57 AM

It happened a few times in 10.2. I don't remember it happening in 10.3. I'm sure that under 10.3.4, it has never happened.
Current: XPC SB81P, 3GHz P4, 1GB RAM; Compaq Presario V2410US, Turion 64 ML-30, 512MB RAM
Previous: Sawtooth G4/400 448MB RAM
ATI Radeon 8500 64MB - flashed variant
OS X 10.3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399 37510
Future: 13" Widescreen Powerbook, Core Duo Intel

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 02:19 PM

I just noticed that this has been happening a few times on my system in the last few weeks. I mainly notice it when I go home for the weekend and I come back three days later and all my apps have active "Save" dialogs and there is a message from the Finder saying that logout was cancelled.

I leave applications open like the Terminal and Textedit all the time, so I'm glad that these keep my computer from logging out all the way... but what the heck?
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

dtriska
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
I just noticed that this has been happening a few times on my system in the last few weeks. I mainly notice it when I go home for the weekend and I come back three days later and all my apps have active "Save" dialogs and there is a message from the Finder saying that logout was cancelled.

I leave applications open like the Terminal and Textedit all the time, so I'm glad that these keep my computer from logging out all the way... but what the heck?
That's not the same thing. When loginwindow crashes, there's no chance to save.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by dtriska:
That's not the same thing. When loginwindow crashes, there's no chance to save.
wtf. That's not cool, now I have to figure out what the heck is causing it.

t_hah  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2004, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by chris v:
Your loginwindow crashed, somehow. It's a background process that supports all your user stuff when you log in. Mine used to crash more frequently under 10.1 & 10.2.

You could check out you RAM, but it's probably no big deal, unless it starts happening all the time. You could also delete the loginwindow.plist (there's actually two-- one in your user prefs and another in /library/prefs

CV

I really hope that it is not the RAM. The PowerBook is brand new, and has just arrived from Apple. All the memory in it is stock, and have not been touched yet. Hm.....

JKT
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2004, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
wtf. That's not cool, now I have to figure out what the heck is causing it.
You don't have your Energy Saver prefs scheduled to shut down by any chance?

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2004, 11:45 AM

My G4 just did this. I had just switched users, had ejected the CD and it logged me out. The strangest thing is that the iHam on iRye background process continued to run as did the MLDonkey daemon, both processes started by my user, just the GUI apps had closed.

Weirdness.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2004, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by JKT:
You don't have your Energy Saver prefs scheduled to shut down by any chance?
Yes. I was playing with the scheduled startup settings a few weeks ago, oops. I guess my problems are elsewhere, thanks for pointing that out.

asdasd
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2004, 08:13 PM

The problem could be either a crash in loginwindow or the windowserver, both will log you out if they crash.

Both are servers which contain lots of system related services ( loginwindow allows Apple only plugins)

Apple are interested in this kind of crash, so look for a crash log in

/ Library/Logs/loginwindow.crash.log, or /Libarary/Logs/windowserver.crash.log

Forum Links
Forum Rules