Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Motion arrived today, installed fine on PB

Motion arrived today, installed fine on PB
83caddy16v
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2004, 11:28 AM

I ordered Motion from the Apple Store online Thursday and it arrived today, eventhough the guy said it would be 4-6 days before it shipped out.

The installation went fine on my 15" Powerbook. Previewing a bunch of particle effects slows things down but still previewable.

I think I'll be playing with this all day.

83caddy16v  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2004, 08:16 PM

Motion will not install on my mirror drive dual gig G4. I don't know why the Powerbook would be ok yet the video card in the G4 is not.

mediacoop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2004, 03:05 AM

have you checked this page: http://www.apple.com/motion/specs.html ?

there is a list of supported graphics cards there... i'm guessing your card is not supported.

83caddy16v  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2004, 08:05 AM

yeah, I checked that out. I would have thought the video card in my tower would be more powerful than the Powerbook but it doesn't meet the specs.

The Apple Retail stores don't sell video cards (thats what i was told when I called the Tysons Corner, VA store), so I'll be taking a trip down to Microcenter's Mac section, hopefully today.

bmedina
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2004, 02:31 AM

Originally posted by 83caddy16v:
yeah, I checked that out. I would have thought the video card in my tower would be more powerful than the Powerbook but it doesn't meet the specs.

The Apple Retail stores don't sell video cards (thats what i was told when I called the Tysons Corner, VA store), so I'll be taking a trip down to Microcenter's Mac section, hopefully today.
Most MDD's shipped with an nVidia GeForce4 MX, which is basically a stripped down GeForce 3. It's basically 3 generations old by now, so it doesn't support the things Motion uses for real-time rendering (i.e. good pixel and vertex shaders).

The only sufficient retail card available is the Radeon 9800 Mac Edition. Unfortunately, while it does have good pixel and vertex shader support, it's also now a generation old but still priced as if it's brand new technology.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Aug 20, 2004, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by 83caddy16v:
I ordered Motion from the Apple Store online Thursday and it arrived today, eventhough the guy said it would be 4-6 days before it shipped out.

The installation went fine on my 15" Powerbook. Previewing a bunch of particle effects slows things down but still previewable.

I think I'll be playing with this all day.
Do you have a Rev. A, B or C ?
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Lordx_
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2004, 12:45 PM

I want motion so bad but I'm annoyed that a $299 program will cost me over $600 because i would need to upgrade my video card in a dual 1.42ghz system that is barely a year old :/

I read the review over at Creative Cow and it looks like the "gimmick" that VideoSystems claimed it to be is going to be giving After Effects a run for its money.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2004, 01:45 AM

How come the Geforce4 Ti is left off of both this compatibility list as well as for CoreVideo Tiger stuff?

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

spatterson
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2004, 12:45 AM

Yeah... Looking forward to buying the production suite at a steal (500 USD - Acadamic Price)... Can't wait for motion.

t_hah
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 10:56 AM

Does anyone know how can one install Motion on an unsupported machine? I know that it would be slower and some functions would be unusable, but would like to give it a try.

Thanks.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by t_hah:
Does anyone know how can one install Motion on an unsupported machine? I know that it would be slower and some functions would be unusable, but would like to give it a try.

Thanks.
If your graphics card is unsupported, then Motion will not run. It's not an artificial limit by Apple... it's that Motion requires certain features of the graphics hardware, and if they're not present then it's impossible for it to run.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Forum Links
Forum Rules