Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Fan not on for 6 months, now suddenly all the time!

Fan not on for 6 months, now suddenly all the time!
pete
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 10:37 AM

Since I bought my powerbook G4 1ghz I've been amazed that the fan has only come on ONCE in six months! Even when it was very hot outside the machine was fine and just warm, no fan. For the past two days, however, the fan has been going on intermittently for short periods of time and I can't figure out why: the weather is cool and I'm barely taxing the machine (just word processing, internet).

What could be going on here? I miss my totally silent little powerbook! I've been spoiled with this one, especially compared to the tibook 1ghz before it which was awful soundwise.

Help pleeease

thanks

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Aug 27, 2004, 12:29 PM

I�ve had my PB for over a year now.
The fan is totally unpredictable.
There were times when the fan started going as soon as the PB came out of sleep - at other times you wouldn`t hear it for weeks.
Stay calm - it`ll pass.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

coconut
Aug 27, 2004, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by pete:
Since I bought my powerbook G4 1ghz I've been amazed that the fan has only come on ONCE in six months! Even when it was very hot outside the machine was fine and just warm, no fan. For the past two days, however, the fan has been going on intermittently for short periods of time and I can't figure out why: the weather is cool and I'm barely taxing the machine (just word processing, internet).

What could be going on here? I miss my totally silent little powerbook! I've been spoiled with this one, especially compared to the tibook 1ghz before it which was awful soundwise.

Help pleeease

thanks
Your powerbook must be in pre-menopause.

No seriously, I had the same problem, and it just stopped after some time. Have you tried resetting the power manager?
General Surgery Resident @ Université de Montréal
Former Apple Campus Marketing Rep

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2004, 09:38 PM

I reset the pram and it seems ok now : )

Thanks....didn't even occur to me that pram might need resetting.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2004, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by pete:
I reset the pram and it seems ok now : )

Thanks....didn't even occur to me that pram might need resetting.
how do you reset the PRAM?
iamwhor3hay

TheDrew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2004, 10:32 PM

Are you running 10.3.5?

There is a thread about this on the Apple discussions regarding a recent increase in fan activity upon updating to 10.3.5.

I haven't been following it too closely so I'm not sure what the consensus over there seems to be.

I believe the thread is in the 12" Powerbook: Usage forum if you're interested in giving it a look.
"Humans take the path of least resistance, especially after the second beer."
Gerard F. Rutan

TheDrew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2004, 11:29 PM

To reset the PRAM:

1) Shut down the computer

2) Simultaneously press then release shift + ctrl + option + power

3) Wait 5 seconds

4) Power the system back on

Some things may be out of whack... ie the system clock, certain preferences, but you can always set them up again with relative ease.

I just reset mine and everything is still fine - however I don't really notice anything different about the system's behavior (the fan). But I've been doing alot of cd ripping and mp3 encoding for the past few hours so its still a bit warm from that.
"Humans take the path of least resistance, especially after the second beer."
Gerard F. Rutan

83caddy16v
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2004, 01:24 AM

thanks for the PRAM reminder -- I'm over due

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2004, 02:02 AM

Originally posted by TheDrew:
To reset the PRAM:

1) Shut down the computer

2) Simultaneously press then release shift + ctrl + option + power

3) Wait 5 seconds

4) Power the system back on

Some things may be out of whack... ie the system clock, certain preferences, but you can always set them up again with relative ease.

I just reset mine and everything is still fine - however I don't really notice anything different about the system's behavior (the fan). But I've been doing alot of cd ripping and mp3 encoding for the past few hours so its still a bit warm from that.
Wrong.

As Apple states, to reset the PRAM:

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
6. Release the keys.

Your computer's PRAM and the NVRAM are reset to the default values. The clock settings may be reset to a default date on some models.

You were referring to resetting the Power Manager for the newer powerbooks:

1. If the computer is on, turn it off.

2. Reset the power manager by simultaneously pressing and then releasing Shift-Control-Option-Power on the keyboard. Do not press the fn (Function) key while using this combination of keystrokes.

3. Wait 5 seconds.

4. Press the Power button to restart the computer.

iBorg

Forum Links
Forum Rules