Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > My monitor tease

My monitor tease
Oct 6, 2004, 10:32 AM

So here's the story. I get a brand new 20" cinema display for my Sawtooth G4, plug it in, turn it on, booting up everything looks fine, the grey Apple's there. And then, when it would usually show the progress indicator it goes black.

Here's what I've tried:
Zapping pram.
Resetting nvram.
Deleting /Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist
Booting into safe mode

I can boot into single user and firmware mode and everything's fine.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2004, 12:49 PM

What video card does that thing have in it? The orig. Sawtooth card would be a ATI Rage Pro which I don't think is capable of handling the 20" display.

If that's the case, I suggest you try at least a Radeon 9000 or better, preferably something with at least 64 MB of VRAM.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

6116  (op)
Oct 6, 2004, 01:07 PM

I believe it is a ATI Rage Pro. But the card does support the monitor, at least in some cases, single user mode comes up fine at a perfectly decent resolution.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 6, 2004, 03:10 PM

The Sawtooth shipped with a Rage 128 Pro (16 MB) card. Boot in verbose mode to see where the bootup is failing (hold down openapple-v during bootup). From the symptom, the system cannot find a suitable driver for the video card/display combination.

In case the bootup text goes by too fast, it is also stored in:
MacHD/private/var/log/system.log

Updating to the latest point release of your OS version may help. ATi's driver updates sometimes support the OEM cards as well, so it may be useful tracking down their latest update that supports the Rage 128 Pro.

Forum Links
Forum Rules