Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod onscreen improvements?

iPod onscreen improvements?
SirCastor
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2001, 11:57 PM

I was just thinking, it'd be really nice to have an on screen clock on the iPod. Anyone else think of anything like that, that would be useful?

(This is not a topic asking to turn the iPod into a PDA)
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

bobette
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2001, 01:11 AM

I agree. As in cell phones. And you could sync it with your mac so you know the time is right!
this lounge is a poor substitute to the bbq.

[email protected]
Senior User
Nov 23, 2001, 05:19 AM

unless your dual proc thinks it's frikkin' 1969. my ipod ships next week! can't wait to boot off it.

kleznik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2001, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by SirCastor:
<STRONG>I was just thinking, it'd be really nice to have an on screen clock on the iPod. Anyone else think of anything like that, that would be useful?

(This is not a topic asking to turn the iPod into a PDA)</STRONG>
I've had my iPod for about a week now, and I really love it. But, I've got a few things that I would request for the next version of iPod software. I'd love to pass these on to Apple - someone know where to do so?

1) A graphic equalizer. It would be especially be nice if you can save settings for different headphones.

2) To play an album, you need to select an artist and then an album for that artist. This does not work for an album of various artists, as I learned from my copy of "Happy Anniversary Charlie Brown!" All of the tracks are listed by the musician that plays it. If you select one through the "Artists" section, it has no concept of the other tracks from the album. I would love to have on the top level menu a "Albums" section to get around this problem.

That's all I can remember now. I'll come back if I think of more.

-Dan

mrtaber
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2001, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by kleznik:
<STRONG>

I've had my iPod for about a week now, and I really love it. But, I've got a few things that I would request for the next version of iPod software. I'd love to pass these on to Apple - someone know where to do so?

1) A graphic equalizer. It would be especially be nice if you can save settings for different headphones.

2) To play an album, you need to select an artist and then an album for that artist. This does not work for an album of various artists, as I learned from my copy of "Happy Anniversary Charlie Brown!" All of the tracks are listed by the musician that plays it. If you select one through the "Artists" section, it has no concept of the other tracks from the album. I would love to have on the top level menu a "Albums" section to get around this problem.

That's all I can remember now. I'll come back if I think of more.

-Dan</STRONG>
I hear you on that one. What I do is create a playlist containing those album tracks and then play the playlist rather than the artist or song...

Mark
TiBook 667MHz/512Mb/30Gb/DVD
Macs for work and play; Windows for...work and play. Oh. Never mind. Whatever.

[email protected]
Dec 12, 2001, 09:13 PM

In response to the previous post, it is possible to view songs on your ipod listed by album. I didn't know you could do it either till I saw it posted in another thread. Simply go to the artists menu, then select view all, you can then navigate by album.

mrtaber
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2001, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by [email protected]:
<STRONG>In response to the previous post, it is possible to view songs on your ipod listed by album. I didn't know you could do it either till I saw it posted in another thread. Simply go to the artists menu, then select view all, you can then navigate by album.</STRONG>
Well I'll be d*mned! Shoulda known they'd-a thought of that already!
:o

Mark
TiBook 667MHz/512Mb/30Gb/DVD
Macs for work and play; Windows for...work and play. Oh. Never mind. Whatever.

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2001, 09:35 PM

I'd like to see a couple of things:

1) a graphic representation of the music. Nothing as advanced as the iTunes Visualizer, which would look like shite on that screen, but something more like the small visualizer that plays in the top of the iTunes player. Basically the same kind of visualizer that's on the front of most stereos.

2) the ability to very quickly scan through a track. This is one of my favorite points in iTunes. Basically, I hate having to scan through a track to get to a point that's late in the song. My big idea would be this: now, when you're in the "Now Playing" window and you hit the center button the little clock changes from time to time remaining. What I'd like to see is someone being able to hold the center button down for a few seconds; this would then pause the song and one could scan through the track very quickly with the scroll wheel, going to the very end or very beginning; pressing the play button would start the song fromt that point. I doubt this would be very hard to implement in the firmware, and I would certainly make listening to long tracks easier and more enjoyable.

3) an equalizer would be great, but I don't find it that neccessary. I'd definitely be able to deal with a simple bass and treble adjustment. These at least would be better than what we have now. I just feel that a 10-band equalizer would be a little difficult to implement, though if anyone can make it quick and easy it's Apple.

4) Oh yeah, and definitely more games. Not too many, but certainly Pong, Space Invaders, Frogger, maybe Pac-Man, Centipede, and Tetris.

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: JLFanboy ]

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2001, 10:18 AM

If you want the album thing to work. You know the album title, so in the Artist section, select ALL. Right at the top and scroll down to that album. You'll get all of its songs!!!
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

kleznik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2001, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by [email protected]:
<STRONG>In response to the previous post, it is possible to view songs on your ipod listed by album. I didn't know you could do it either till I saw it posted in another thread. Simply go to the artists menu, then select view all, you can then navigate by album.</STRONG>
Wonderful. Thank you for pointing this out!

So tell me - without having to manually make a playlist to do so, has anyone discovered a way to have the iPod play all the tracks from one album (in order or shuffled would be great) then move on to all the tracks from the next, and so on until you finish all your albums?

-Dan

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: kleznik ]

BobVB
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2001, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by kleznik:
<STRONG>
So tell me - without having to manually make a playlist to do so, has anyone discovered a way to have the iPod play all the tracks from one album (in order or shuffled would be great) then move on to all the tracks from the next, and so on until you finish all your albums?
</STRONG>
Yes, that is one of the drawbacks of both the iPod and iTunes - no heirarchal organization to do things like that.

The only way I've managed is by making a 'sorted by album' playlist (I have one called 'soundtracks' that is just that).

BobVB
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2001, 12:16 PM

My improvement is more in the interface: names that are too long can't be seen in their entirety and if you have titles that start out the same ("Greatest Hits..." etc) you can't differentiate without manually changing the tags from the ones downloaded from CDDB.

I'd like to see a selected title start to marquee after a few moments of selection as the long titles do during playing. That way if you really have to see the entire title you can without having to select it for play, read the title and then menu back if you have the wrong one.

qnc
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2001, 02:36 PM

just more games thats all i want to see
qnctv.com
Take a look...

Paco500
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2001, 04:01 PM

The equalizer is no big deal to me. I know I would never take the time to use it. A clock, however, would be great. I am also in favor of vizualizations, provided it doen't cause undue wear on the battery.

I'd also really like it to play Ogg Vorbis files, if for no other reason than to shut the folks at slashdot up.

Paco

BobbyCodeMonkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2001, 03:33 PM

ALL I could possibly want is for the crossfader, now available (of course) in iTunes. This would make my playlists really seem like my old 'mix tapes' from college.

(so THAT'S what I did in college!)

Paco500
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2001, 05:06 PM

Crossfade=good.

Paco

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2001, 01:17 PM

Very cool. Picked up a couple of things here today.
View All in artist (by Albums - even "various artist" ones!) - very nice. Press play while in View All and all your CD's play in alphabetical order...
I didn't know you could play breakout and listen also. Did they change that in the firmware update?
Damn, I love this iPod.

Crossfade would be nice.

sMACk
Dec 15, 2001, 11:06 PM

I would like a bookmark feature for audio books. Being able to scan through songs would be great also. iPod rocks.

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2001, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by sMACk:
<STRONG>I would like a bookmark feature for audio books. Being able to scan through songs would be great also. iPod rocks.</STRONG>
You can scan through songs. Just hold down the forward button for a second and it turns it into fast forward.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

Forum Links
Forum Rules