Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > ack! help with my que! 12x fire rw drive!

ack! help with my que! 12x fire rw drive!
blindspot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2001, 11:33 PM

hi,

i just bought a que! 12x firewire cdrw drive,
hoping to use it with my pismo 500.

all the crap that came with the drive said that i juat have to install toast, and the drive is good to go. well, i installed toast, but it won't recognize the drive.

now, i went to the qps site, and they had various tech support tidbits on the site. following their suggestions, i downloaded the firewire 2.5 support from the apple site, and updated it on my machine. i also downloaded apple's 2.7 firewire firmware support, and updated.

all this was to no avail, as i still can't get the drive to talk to the pismo.

the qps site said that the quefire extension is not needed?

has anyone had a similar problem?
help? please? suggestions?

i would appreciate it very much,
as right now the drive is an expensive paperweight.

thanks,

nate

lucylawless
Mac Elite
Location: adrift in a sea of decadent luxury and meaningless sex
Mar 18, 2001, 11:56 PM

if you have os 9.1 (or you have iTunes), you have to disable any iTunes or Discburner extensions. And they're not called "iTunes" so you have to look for things like firewire authoring support and that kind of crap. I bet there's an Apple TIL about it.

I had a lot of problems like this when I got a Que!Fire 4x4x24 for my Pismo. There was no good solution, but fiddling with macos base extensions and firmware updates, and stealing toast deluxe, I eventually got it working and then didn't mess with it. Then one day it stopped working again, and the thing that fixed it was a firmware update that I had already updated. So to summarize, it's a real bitch, but my drive works pretty reliably now that it does work
blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. the X makes it sound cool

blindspot  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2001, 01:56 AM

actually, i have itunes,
and i was hoping to use it with the burner.

um, so is there any way to make it work and use itunes?

lucylawless
Mac Elite
Location: adrift in a sea of decadent luxury and meaningless sex
Mar 19, 2001, 08:10 PM

As it stands now, the extensions for iTunes and Toast are incompatible. The best you can do, until one company supplies a fix, is to make two extensions sets and reboot for the two different programs. (this is only the problem if your drive worked in iTunes before you installed Toast) Personally, I use Toast deluxe for data and adaptec Jam for music. But if you're not going to get Toast deluxe, you might want to just use Apple discburner. Problems like this are a great reason why it's easier to go with all one company
blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. the X makes it sound cool

skeedog98
Mar 19, 2001, 08:59 PM

This is supposed to be fixed in April with Toast 5.0.1

blindspot  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2001, 09:22 PM

hi all,

i just downloaded and installed iTunes 1.1, and now toast works with my que! drive. didn't change anything else, so i guess that resolved whatever conflict.

i'm still running os 9.0.4, so i can't burn from iTunes directly.
guess i have to upgrade to os 9.1 to do that.

thank you, lucy, for your help

hotani
Senior User
May 9, 2001, 12:50 PM

I am having this problem with a Wallstreet using an OrangeLink firewire PC card and a QUE drive.

It all worked in 8.6 and now with 9.1, toast will not see the drive. I thought installing the new iTunes would install an updated driver and fix the problem but it did not.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

------------------
PowerBook G3 266/320
Darwin 1.3/OS X 10.0.1/OS 9.1
download free hotani web template
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

hotani
Senior User
May 9, 2001, 01:18 PM

just downloaded apple's burning software that says on the webpage: will work with 3rd party devices. Then it says "this program is not compatable with your machine" when I try to install...

All I can think of to do is to downgrade to 8.6 just so I can write a CD. ug.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

monster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2001, 03:40 PM

hey blindspot, if you just bought it, return it, return it, return it.
(obviously it's too late, but anyone else who is thinking about buying qps)

my 2 month old que!12x10x32(teac) died and qps is useless. my rebate still hasn't come and i can't get any help from qps. i didn't have too much trouble with installation & i got used to burning with toast(no coasters); even tho i wanted to use itunes, thanks apple,outpost,qps...any of whom could have saved me from this $300+ nightmare. so what if your que! looks good and might work some day, one day it might stop working for good & then who will be there for you?

yamaha endorsement from cipher13 to follow...

[This message has been edited by monster (edited 05-12-2001).]

slider
Mac Elite
May 13, 2001, 09:04 AM

Monster, I am sorry you had all these problems. I too bought a Que! Fire 12x10x32, fortunately I was able to return it to Outpost. I have not heard too many good things about this drive, and worse things about the company. I for one will never buy another QPS product. Anyone thinking about it, don't do it. I recommend the Sony Spressa 1600, works with iTunes, and comes with Retrospect, and Discribe, I would recommend you purchase Toast 5 with it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules