Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > ibook cd not reading

ibook cd not reading
dvrbabe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2000, 01:40 AM

I tried to burn some cd's using Toast. When I play them on my ibook they don't work, however, on my imac and power pc they are fine.

apple said it was the speed??? What is different?

Hylton Coxwell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2000, 11:17 AM

Check to see if the ISO 9660 File Access extension is in your Extension Folder. If it isn't, that could be the problem ... assuming you burned your cd in that format.

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2000, 12:10 PM

What apple probably were referring to was the speed that you burned the CD's at. While a lot of CD burners can burn at 4,6 and even 8x speed, CD Rom drives aren't all tolerant of disks burned at those speeds. Even to the degree that one iMac will read the CD, while another won't.
This tends to happen more with audio CDs.
If you did burn the CD at high speed, try burning another at a lower speed and see if that works.
Aaron

rezEdit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2000, 12:10 PM

Just so you know, your iMac, and iBook are both PowerPC... so I don't know what you mean by PowerPC.... PowerMac?

I know of at least a few Beige G3's that have trouble with burned CD's. The difference seems to be the media they are burned on, and the speed at which they are burned. Any regular media (good quality) works fine in these G3's but cheap CDR media doesn't work at all in the beige G3's even though it works fine everywhere else I have tried them. Seems to be a combo of the media and the CDROM drive, and the speed at which you burned the disk.

[This message has been edited by rezEdit (edited 04-28-2000).]

trw
Apr 28, 2000, 12:57 PM

The speed at which a cd is recorded should not matter. The end result is the same. The media (CDR brand) you use can make a big difference though. Reflectivity characteristics can vary widely. Try a different brand.

Forum Links
Forum Rules