Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Corrupt disk images

Corrupt disk images
Voltago
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2005, 07:23 PM

After a power failure two very important encrypted disk images (about 20G each) failed to mount. I got this message instead: The following disk images have failed to mount: Reason "corrupt image". After that I tried to do a fsck-check in the Terminal (I don't know very much about the command line but I were able to check this out). Result:

BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG ioctl (GCINFO): Inappropriate ioctl for device fsck: /Users/ral/Desktop/IT Kopie.sparseimage: can't read disk label.

Therefore I'm desperate because I don't have a backup of the data (I was actually on the way to do backups when the power failure occurred!). What can I do? Is there no way to save my data? Perhaps with a disk repair app or something like that? BTW shouldn't the journaled feature of the file system on the DMG prevent this from happening? I really need your help! Thanks!!!

Ludovic Hirlimann
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2005, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Voltago

BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG ioctl (GCINFO): Inappropriate ioctl for device fsck: /Users/ral/Desktop/IT Kopie.sparseimage: can't read disk label.

What can I do? Is there no way to save my data? Perhaps with a disk repair app or something like that? BTW shouldn't the journaled feature of the file system on the DMG prevent this from happening? I really need your help! Thanks!!!
You can try Disk utilities but I doubt they can do something for you. You might also want to try hdiutil (with the verify option check the manual page). Might want to try fsck_hfs which could be a lot better than standard fsck which applies to UFS formated disk which I doubt wass your case.
Journaling the file system "might" help, but it would only speed up repairs done by a fsck like operation, in your case I not sure it would have helped.

Forum Links
Forum Rules