Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Memory not detected on PB G4 15inch Tiger 10.4.2

Memory not detected on PB G4 15inch Tiger 10.4.2
K107
Jul 16, 2005, 01:43 AM

Well something funny happened. I noticed that my PB was running slow so I go and check if my memory ram is fine. Well only one of my 1GB stick is detected. The upper one, the lower one is not detected.

I uninstalled and rebooted with 1 stick in the lower slot. It works. I uninstalled reinstalled the other stick in the lower slot and it works.

So good both stick works and the lower slot works.

So I reinstalled both sticks. Nothing the lower one is not detected. I uninstalled switched the lower stick with the upper stick and reinstalled nothing. The lower stick is not detected.

The memory is the right memory for my book. Its a kingston. The memory worked when I had 10.3.xx

I updated from 10.3.9 to tiger 10.4 a while back. Memory worked fine. I updated to 10.4.1 and then 10.4.2. I think somewhere around 10.4.1 and 10.4.2 something might have happened.

(Can switching OS mess things like the Memory up?)

So I decided to reinstall tiger again...going back to 10.4 right. Well I still the memory is not detected.

What is going on?

I have a PB G4 15inch release date march-april 04 or something

Tiger 10.4

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2005, 02:13 AM

If you go back to 10.4 and it still doesn't show up..
Might be a bad logic board..
15" 2.33 MBP 2GB Ram, 120GB HD - Main Rig

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 16, 2005, 05:08 AM

Thats definately a logic board problem.

You'll need to take it back to Apple and get a new logic board.

It should be free assuming it's under warrenty.

Sean

K107  (op)
Jul 16, 2005, 03:15 PM

Damn it. I thought so...I have apple care. I only had the book for about a year and some months. The lid does not close either. When sending the book in what do you have to do? I hate to think someone is going to login and look around. Not that I have anything inside that is bad but....GREAT

I hate filling out the online service form becasue it is anything like the ipod you have to select from a list of problems. You can't choose multiple problems and if you describe both problems they only address one. Like for the ipod, From the drop down menu I put I need new earphone. Then when describing the problem I wrote I need a remote to and they only took care of the earphone. It happen all 4 times I needed to replace my earphone.

If I ask to fix the logic problem I afraid they would skip the lid.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 16, 2005, 03:25 PM

Unless you're going to take it to the shop yourself and then Apple mail it away to be repaired, then you will need to contact Apple who will I think send you a box to send it in. I think it's all free.

If you're worried about people looking at your private stuff then just put quite a good password on your laptop.
Just make sure you can remember it.

It would also be wise to do a backup as i've heard reports of hard drives being wiped out after logic boards have been replaced.
I don't know why they do this, but I think it may be because they re-install the OS to make sure it's all working ok.

Good luck.

Sean

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2005, 03:43 PM

The problem you're experiencing is apparently a manufacturer's defect that has affected a significant portion of 15" PowerBook owners. You can find extensive threads about it on this forum and elsewhere.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

K107  (op)
Jul 20, 2005, 06:36 PM

Apple rocks. I called friday, I got the box on monday, got back my PB on wed. WOW one day and I got my PB back. They did not wipe the hard drive. Everything is just like I left it. Man when I sent my ipod it took like a week to get a new one. All three times I had to replace. Anyway what I did was clear my history and transfered everything important to my 30GB ipod and deleted the files on the pb even the keychain. Anyway wow day

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 20, 2005, 06:57 PM

Cool!

Glad it all worked out for you and that you now have a fully functioning Powerbook.

Sean

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 20, 2005, 07:08 PM

I had the same failure on my AlBook, and had a similarly swift repair experience. I'm glad to hear that quick turnaround is the rule, not the exception!

tooki

Skyhoper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2005, 09:59 AM

Sounds like my powerbook story.
1.5ghz Powerbook (the new one), 1gig ram

K107  (op)
Jan 9, 2006, 12:39 AM

Its all happening again. After getting back my PB in july. Around Oct, Nov my PB ram is not showing up again. This time on the upper level. Last time it was on the lower. I have kingston memory Do you guys think that it the memory that is causing the logic board to go bad again?.

I have been to busy to get it in for service, but now only running on 1GB is pissing me off. Am going to go to the apple store and do it from there.

I'm going to replace the 2GB of kingston memory and put back the 512 that came with the PB before sending it in. Should I tell and show the tech guy what ram I'm using or do you guys think its a bad idea since it not apple memory?

Oh and can I get a new battery under apple care?

K107  (op)
Jan 14, 2006, 01:40 PM

I went the apple store and drop off my PB to get it fixed. I got it back on Friday and man is my PB running sweet. It running on 512mb and my PB is flying. They did a good job. They also replaced my PB battery. Which I having a issue with… I posted this in other thread I don’t want to mix topics up.

Anyway I’m kind of hesitant to but back my 1gb ram sticks. I wonder if it was the Kingmax ram the missed up my PB. Here are the spec can someone give me there thoughts

PB g4 1.5ghz (bought it April 2004)

KINGMAX 1GB 200-Pin DDR SO-DIMM DDR 333 (PC 2700) Notebook Memory - OEM Model #: MSAD42D-KI

Model
Brand
KINGMAX

Model
MSAD42D-KI

Type
200-Pin DDR SO-DIMM

Tech Spec
Capacity
1GB

Speed
DDR 333 (PC 2700)

Cas Latency

Voltage
2.6V

ECC
No

Registered/Unbuffered
Unbuffered

Heat Spreader
No

Warranty
Manufacturer Warranty
Lifetime

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 14, 2006, 02:06 PM

I'm pretty sure they did no harm to your PB.
It's just Apple's design fault.

K107  (op)
Jan 14, 2006, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by seanc
I'm pretty sure they did no harm to your PB.
It's just Apple's design fault.
Thanks for your view. I really want to make sure. Before I put the ram back in. Anyone else...

forgot to include this ealier a link to my battery issue
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=281913

DelGaudio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2006, 10:11 AM

I don't think the memory would mess up you PB. I was thinking the same thing too for a while. I'm having problems with Kingmax memory too.

A few months back I started getting kernel errors. After trying the quick fixes (permissions, techtools, etc...) I reinstalled the OS (10.4.x), still more kernel errors. I read that kernel errors can be caused from memory which isn't seated properly. So, I took out the 1GB Kingmax and my PB has run fine since.

Thinking it was a bad dim, I sent it back. I popped in the new one and more hard crashes. I tested both memory bays with the stock 512K and a friends PB memory. Both bays work fine w/ any other ram.

So here's the kicker. I then put the Kingmax (which wouldn't run in my machine) in his machine and it ran smooth! I don't know what the deal is. Any ideas?

Anyone else have any problems w/ Kingmax?

Forum Links
Forum Rules