Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > monitor position changes automatcally

monitor position changes automatcally
larix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2001, 05:16 AM

The monitor position changes without any reason. I have to reset it several times a day.
I am using OD 9.1. I think the problem might be ATM deluxe 4.6.1
Is there anyone out there?

Visnaut
Senior User
Jul 21, 2001, 11:01 AM

Does this happen at startup?

<Franko>
Jul 21, 2001, 12:19 PM

Had this problem with an iMac at work (400 MHz Indigo, summer 2000 model). Screen image would just shift without reason. Icons like hd, folders, etc., would be off the screen. Resetting the screen image by using the monitors control panel would work, until the next outburst. Uprgraded to OS 9.1 and new firmware (4.71???). This fixed the problem so far.

M�lum
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2001, 12:26 PM

use gaffer tape.

Does it happen on start up or after you used a certain app. Does the screen resolution change?

[ 07-21-2001: Message edited by: M�lum ]

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2001, 02:52 PM

Try resetting your NVRAM. On a cold start (not a restart), hit the power key to start up and hold down your Command-Option-P-R keys. Hold them down until you hear a second startup chime (some say a third just to be safe).

[ 07-21-2001: Message edited by: CaseCom ]

larix  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2001, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by M�lum:
<STRONG>use gaffer tape.

Does it happen on start up or after you used a certain app. Does the screen resolution change?

[ 07-21-2001: Message edited by: M�lum ]</STRONG>

larix  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2001, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by Visnaut:
<STRONG>Does this happen at startup?</STRONG>
It happens as well on startup as during the day. I don't see a relation witha particular application or action.

larix  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2001, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by &lt;Franko&gt;:
<STRONG>Had this problem with an iMac at work (400 MHz Indigo, summer 2000 model). Screen image would just shift without reason. Icons like hd, folders, etc., would be off the screen. Resetting the screen image by using the monitors control panel would work, until the next outburst. Uprgraded to OS 9.1 and new firmware (4.71???). This fixed the problem so far.</STRONG>
Thank you, I will try the fix you recommend. I am using a 400 MHz DVD with system 9.1. It occurs since I started using 9.1.

larix  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2001, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by M�lum:
<STRONG>use gaffer tape.

[ 07-21-2001: Message edited by: M�lum ]</STRONG>
It happens at start up and during the day. I don't notice a relation with a particular action or application. Only the screen shifts (to the left or to the right), the resolution is not affected.

<nyarlaho>
Aug 27, 2001, 12:47 PM

Did you succeed in fixing the problem? I have the exact same thing. Every 10 minutes or so, the screen spontaneously moves a couple millimeters to the left or right. My intake of hallucinogetics has been low lately, so that cannot be it.

It seems hardware related, especially since it happens both in 9.1 and in 10.0.4. But it might also be PRAM or NVRAM or whatever you call that. I'm gonna try to reset that now, and see if it goes away.

N.

Forum Links
Forum Rules