Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > alternative iMac display

alternative iMac display
bk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2002, 03:51 AM

I was wondering if the display of the bondi blue 233 iMac could be output on a "3rd party" monitor instead, as the original one is faulty.

rest of components are working, thus the repair for monitor alone is enough to get a new 17" flat (15-pin mini D-Sub connector)

anyone knows of i/o interfacing involved (if it can even be done)??

seems like mac's knowledge base says no go :
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=43016

probably needs some hardcore mod?

Aussiemac
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2002, 03:58 AM

Aussiemac
iMac 21.5"-2.4GHz i5, 15"-2.66 i7 MacBook Pro, iMac Bondi G3/233 (still working), HTC Desire, Golf V GTI DSG

petoria
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2002, 04:01 AM

You should be able to use an external monitor with an adapter so you can connect a vga plug to the iMac port. I know there is an adapter for it. Sorry I don't have any specifics.
I know a guy from nantucket, and well lets just say the stories about him are greatly exaggerated.

Aussiemac
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2002, 05:28 AM

No vga plug on an iMac A-B-C-D
Aussiemac
iMac 21.5"-2.4GHz i5, 15"-2.66 i7 MacBook Pro, iMac Bondi G3/233 (still working), HTC Desire, Golf V GTI DSG

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2002, 12:37 AM

There is a VGA plug in Rev A-D. You have to take the bottom cover off, but basically with those early Revs, Apple just threw a VGA connector on the motherboard and had the monitor mounted in the case with a cord that plugs into it. It's a different size connector than the VGA connectors on the iMac DV's, but you can get an adaptor and plug an external monitor into it. This obviously disables the internal one, which is fine if it doesn't work...

At one point I'd asked if you can go the other way - that is, use the working iMac monitor as a monitor to another machine. I've tried this and been unable to get it to work though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules