Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > PowerMac G4 fried by wrong power voltage - can it be repaired??

PowerMac G4 fried by wrong power voltage - can it be repaired??
QuatermassX
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2005, 09:36 AM

Hi there,

A friend gave me a PowerMac G4/400 Yikes that she had plugged into the socked with the wrong voltage thingy set on the back. There was a POP and smoke coming from the power supply.

1. What was fried? Power supply only, or something worse?
2. Can it be fixed?
3. If it can't, what could be ripped out and sold on their own?

Krypton
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2005, 01:49 PM

If the circuit/motherboard looks to be intact, it could be a case of just replacing the power supply.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2005, 01:55 PM

And what Krypton suggests would make sense, since one of the functions of the computer's power supply is to protect the other components.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

QuatermassX  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2005, 04:10 PM

Ah ... hmmm ... although I've meddled with G4's in the past, I've never quite had to service something this severe before. Anything to look for on the motherboard before going out and finding an old G4 power supply? I mean, thee motherboard doesn't have any scortch marks on it, still ...

And will any power supply do? I'm assuming this is something I could pick up at PC World ...

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 27, 2005, 04:29 PM

It's very unlikely that anything but the power supply is fried. Besides, visual inspection is almost surely useless, as most "fried" components don't look physically damaged.

I'd say try a new power supply -- and no, you cannot use a standard PC power supply, you need to get the one from your model of G4 (it's not necessarily interchangeable with those from other G4 models).

tooki

Gelfling
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2005, 05:25 PM

Actually, I believe the Yikes! models do actually use a standard ATX power supply with some of the pinouts changed slightly. These pinouts can be found on the net so as you can rewire one to work.

Sawtooth and later models used a powersupply with more wires to provide 28 volts "Trickle" for the video card and power button panel. These can not be replaced with an ATX power supply.

I could be wrong, but it would be worth a try googling for powermac atx pinouts

Especially if apple are going to charge you a fortune for a replacement
"The giant Grof was hit in one eye by a stone, and that eye turned inward so that it looked into his mind, and he died of what he saw there" -- The Forgotten Beasts of Eld, Patricia A. McKillip

QuatermassX  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2005, 05:56 PM

Gosh, MANY thanks for all the good advice. I'll also have a browse through eBay and see if any Yikes! power supplies are up for grabs. Googling as suggested brings up a scary array of technical projects. I'm not overly handy ... much rather a secondhand bit of kit.

Hmmm ...

Forum Links
Forum Rules