Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Buying a MacMini in the US and taking it back to London

Buying a MacMini in the US and taking it back to London
QuatermassX
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2005, 04:35 PM

I've been searching the forum, but don't see this question addressed. I took advantage of the Apple sale on the Mac mini a couple of weeks ago. I live in London so I had the cute little thing shipped to my folks in New York. I'm due to visit the city that never sleeps next week and am looking to take the mini back to London with me.

Is the power supply self-switching so all I need is a plug adaptor (rather than a voltage adaptor) just like my dearly departed PowerBook G4 12"?

Thanks!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2005, 05:22 PM

Try Apple.com:
Electrical and environmental requirements
* Line voltage: 100-240V AC
* Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz, single phase

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2005, 09:20 PM

You'll have no problem. You can even use the same power adapter, just swap out the plug on the end. I got an iPod power adapter kit in the Regents Street store for something like 20 or 25 pounds. The plug I needed was in there. :-)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

cb2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2005, 09:54 PM

Are you going to take it as a carry on ? It would be interesting to know if they allow the mini as a carry on at secuirty for flights.

--

QuatermassX  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2005, 08:54 AM

I was going to remove the little thing from the box, make sure it works and then just stick it in my carry-on luggage. They'll search the hell out of me, but there's no reason why it wouldn't be allowed on board. It's smaller than a laptop, even.

Ah, I bought one of those iPod travel kits in NYC years ago and it worked like a charm with my old PB adaptor (and my old FW iPod). Good to know that the plug can by replaced in the same way on the mini - thanks for that.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 14, 2005, 09:31 AM

Size is not an issue-can you PROVE it's actually a computer and not some kind of nasty device? That's the kind of issue you're facing. If possible, I'd put it in checked luggage so it will be checked by the bomb detector equipment and passed that way-just keep it in its original packaging and pack around it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2005, 09:43 AM

no no no ... if they destroy your checked luggage (and the computer) you are screwed. They destroyed a digital camera of mine once and they were not responsible because it was a "fragile item". Go figure. (It was in a nice padded case ... but I think they dropped it from 20,000 feet ... the suitcase was all smashed and the nice padded case was torn to shreds.)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 14, 2005, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Size is not an issue-can you PROVE it's actually a computer and not some kind of nasty device? That's the kind of issue you're facing. If possible, I'd put it in checked luggage so it will be checked by the bomb detector equipment and passed that way-just keep it in its original packaging and pack around it.
I cannot emphasize how terrible advice that is. DO NOT check it! The risk of damage is too high.

They are perfectly happy for you to run it through the x-ray machine. They have explosives detection equipment right there -- they swab it down and stick the swab in a machine.

tooki

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 14, 2005, 04:52 PM

It's been a while (about 24 months) since I last flew on a commercial flight, and they only had explosives detection equipment set up to investigate checked luggage, while they were adamant that EVERYTHING vaguely electronic be operated for the security people at the gate. Plus I was not thinking about the horrible visions I was treated to out my mid-fuselage window over the cargo bay of luggage handlers THROWING bags out of the door to the ground. Must have been a mental block on that one...

The thing about flying on a military flight is that you can find the person that paletized your luggage, and they know it. They tend to be very careful in building the palet, and the whole palet is loaded at one time, so there's no stupid throwing of baggage going on. I've seen trunks loaded with basically a mobile 100+ user network get loaded, unloaded and unpacked in perfect condition. And a planeload of Inspector General personnel is unlikely to face the same sort of stringent security screening that a commercial flight full of random civilians is.

I withdraw my previous advice, even though in "normal" shipping the factory packaging should protect a Mini from just about everything-everything except an airline baggage handler.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

QuatermassX  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2005, 05:00 PM

As an amateur photographer and (in years gone by) having participated in film shoots where I had to travel - ALWAYS keep anything remotely valuable on your person when wandering abroad. I've always kept my film rolls and cameras close at hand.

So the little fellow is coming along with me in the carry on. To be honest, I'd be concerned if they DIDN'T stop and search me. Be happy for them to waste my time hooking it up to a monitor and such ;-)

macavelli
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2005, 08:13 PM

I carried a mac mini to Poland. No Problems. Keep it in original packaging. No problems with computer in Poland. Buy an adapter before you leave.
( Last edited by tooki; Oct 17, 2005 at 10:39 AM. Reason: cleaned up accidentally inserted link and unnecessary font tags)

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2005, 02:42 AM

You should be aware that you are liable to pay Import Duty to the customs department at Heathrow if they think its under 1 year old. Dont go flashing it around

Also I think your warrantly will be limited to North America.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2005, 03:35 AM

I think the duty requirement is in most countries.

I'm not sure I'd dodge it .... the fine can be large if you are caught.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2005, 04:36 AM

Post/Mail the packaging. We'll get loads more VAT off you while you're here...

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2005, 11:10 AM

I don't think there's duty to pay on bringing computers into the country. I called Customs and Excise about duty and VAT when I was thinking about bringing a PowerMac back to London and was told that the categories that it and a screen would fall into carried no import duty, but that I would have to pay VAT on them on arrival.

QuatermassX  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2005, 04:45 PM

Not overly concerned about the warranty, but good to remember.

Yep, I'm a wannabe smuggler. To blazes with Gordon Brown ... I'll be damned if I'm going to pay either VAT or customs charges. My mum sent me some nice new clothes (some shirts from the Banana Republic) last year for my birthday and C&E wanted £40 for them!! Silly silly.

I'm a writer and I've been on a long visit to my parents and took my computer along. What's wrong with that? I **could** always just check the thing ...

Forum Links
Forum Rules