Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Printing,AirTunes via ethernet?

Printing,AirTunes via ethernet?
toffe
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2005, 10:32 AM

Hi. I just bougth an old PoweMac G4 (has Tiger), it has no wireless card. At home i connect from my iBook to my stereo and usb printer (hp laserjet 1200) via Airport Express.

Is it possible, and if so: how, to print and use airtunes from the PowerMac via ethernet.

i've got a a-link 4 port router that connects to the internet, both powermac and airport express are connected to that.

i tried to run the airport setup assistant from the powerbook, it found the basestation but not the printer. and iTunes did not find any airtunes speakers.

I would really appreciate an explanation how to set it all up.
Thank you.
-Toffe

toffe  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2005, 02:25 PM

I figured out (a friend told me) how to use airtunes via ethernet, using airport administratortool under utilities. there was a "enable airtunes via ethernet" checkbox
so that is ok now.

but how about printing.
i'd like to be able to print to the usb printer via airport express, when the iBook is "not at home"

toffe  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2005, 08:57 AM

I figured out how to enable printing also...
Go to the airport administrator tool, select the basestation, klick on the button, "alternatives for basestation" then a popup window appears, where you can enable remote access to printer.
with that checked, save the changes.

On the computer using ethernet only, go to the systemsettings, under printer and fax, select "add printer", there it finds the printer, it shows its name and locatin, and that the connection is bonjour...
there it goes...
print and play.

Forum Links
Forum Rules