Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB and cinema display: ACD turning down PB contrast?

PB and cinema display: ACD turning down PB contrast?
zl9600
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2005, 08:46 PM

i have had my ACD 23" for a few weeks now and love it. but i run it from my PB 1.67 17", and the oddest thing: my PB screen keeps dimming--not during sleep or idle time, it just suddenly dims down.... then i have to go to the brightness key and sure enough, it's gone down a few notches.

is this normal? i use both screens when i'm working, so i don't want my PB screen to be dimming, especially without warning.

it already runs my pb hotter when i have my ACD hooked up, but i'm guessing that's just cuz the video card is running more. but the dimming without notice or user control? not right to me...

anyone have an opinion/suggestion?

thanks!
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are
missing.

ibook_steve
Nov 22, 2005, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by zl9600
i have had my ACD 23" for a few weeks now and love it. but i run it from my PB 1.67 17", and the oddest thing: my PB screen keeps dimming--not during sleep or idle time, it just suddenly dims down.... then i have to go to the brightness key and sure enough, it's gone down a few notches.

is this normal? i use both screens when i'm working, so i don't want my PB screen to be dimming, especially without warning.

it already runs my pb hotter when i have my ACD hooked up, but i'm guessing that's just cuz the video card is running more. but the dimming without notice or user control? not right to me...

anyone have an opinion/suggestion?

thanks!
If you have automatic backlight adjustments turned on, turn it off. The light produced by the external display is probably getting registered by the photo sensors and adjusting the PB backlight brightness.

Steve

zl9600  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2005, 03:12 AM

where is the icon for sheepishness? good golly, i think i've considered myself *fairly* decent in macs. and here in one sentence i'm proven that i'm not all that! thanks for the pointer to that little checkbox. yep, it was turned on. never noticed it till now!
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are
missing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules