Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Vertical Hard Drives

Vertical Hard Drives
reemas
Senior User
Nov 13, 2005, 11:01 PM

I have my hard drive in an external case laying flat. My question is, if I turn the case so it is standing vertical, and the hard drive is now vertical as well, is this bad for the drive?

pregalla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2005, 11:26 PM

I believe there will be no problem!

1. Many external 3,5" hard drives are vertical.
2. My own external harddrive (a 2,5" disk) is vertical most of the time, and the manufacturer notes states it can operate in ANY position.
3. Some desktop computers have the hard drive vertical mounted.

Use it without worries.
Just don't expose it to shocks and vibrations especially when it is on.
iMac G5 20" rev.b, 250GB, 2GB, apple wireless mouse and keyboard

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Nov 13, 2005, 11:27 PM

thanks a lot. i will do.

brachiator
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2005, 03:26 AM

I have heard that there may be a problem with turning a HD that has been operating horizontally into the vertical position to run (and vice versa). As I recall, the theory was that the HD "works in" in the horizontal, and that running it vertical puts a strain on the horizontal-worn-in machinery.

I have no idea if this is accurate. Just wanted to pass it along. Perhaps someone more knowledgable than I can weigh in.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2005, 04:40 AM

I have two drives in use in my MDD and since I have one on each channel it means one is mounted horizontally and one vertically. After about 2 years I moved one drive from vertical to horizontal (when I bought the second drive) and have not had any problems. I run my mac 24/7 without sleeping, but I do let the HDs spin down. So 3.5 years and no problems here. Both firewire drives (backups of course) are horizontal, but I have used them vertically in the past with no problem.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2005, 05:33 AM

I use to 'move' a hard disk from the inside of an old B&W G3 (mounted horizontally) to an external LaCie d2 firewire vertical case (mounted vertically) and vice versa. Never had any issue with it.

OreoCookie
Nov 23, 2005, 06:58 AM

Both horizontal and vertical operation are expressly permitted by the specs of harddrive manufacturers. I think the tolerances are around 5-10 degrees.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2005, 11:17 AM

The heads are constantly recalabrating so this is no longer an issue, I would avoid changing the orientation of the drive while running if you plan to do so faster than the operational g rating of the drive.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 24, 2005, 08:22 PM

There used to be a problem with old hard drives (think MFM type drives 20 years ago) moving from one orientation to another. Old news, not worth bothering about. A modern drive can work ANYWHERE and as long as you don't suddenly jar it during a seek, you can expect it to work in whatever attitude you use it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

brachiator
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2005, 04:28 AM

Thanks, ghporter... Showing my age, I guess...

Now, where did I put that stack of $job cards?...

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 25, 2005, 11:11 AM

Yup. Modern drives use "embedded servo" that means the drive is essentially constantly recalibrating.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules