Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Loves & Hates of your iBook

Loves & Hates of your iBook
harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2005, 05:34 AM

I love the fact that its so small, pretty light, and runs mac os x. I also love the long battery life and the great airport reception

I hate the way it scratches so easily, and that the keyboard is pretty flimsy. I also hate the slow speed of the hard drive, and the poor excuse for a graphics card (I have the 9200).

What about you?
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

volcano
Senior User
Nov 19, 2005, 05:42 AM

It really doesn't scratch that easily. Even when it does scratch, they're not that obvious or noticeable. I love the fact that I can lug this thing around wherever I go, and not have to worry excessively about my computer while it's in my bag. If it were a Powerbook, I'd be afraid that I would obsess over every little detail about the thing - so it's a load off of my mind.

Like you, I love the size, weight, operating system, battery life, and airport extreme reception of this machine - it's wonderful. I love the fact that I can put it to sleep and start right where I left off when I awake it again - I don't have to deal with the hassle of booting up my computer everytime, loading up all the programs and and files needed like I did with my Windows computer.

The hard-drive speed hasn't bothered me.. I haven't been annoyed by it. For what I need it to do, it does it extremely well. I haven't installed any games on it, so the graphics card is of little importance to me.

Cucucachoo
Nov 19, 2005, 09:56 AM

I also love the size, shape, color and weight. I also love the fact i don't have to do a full boot up also. That is one reason i gave up on my window$ laptop. I love the battery indicator, It actually works. And the looks of envy i get from the windows notebook users at the coffee shop.

I hate the slow processor speed in mine (600 mhz), I would love to play some Sim City. I hate that i can not use a standard webcam that i have on hand. And the last thing i hate is the damn one button mouse that apple uses. It took them to long to catch up with the rest of the world when it came to this.
MacBook 2.16Ghz 13.3" with 4gig Ram 120gb HD
iBook G4 1.33ghz 12" with 1024MB Ram, 80gb HD, Dual-Layer SuperDrive
iBook G3 600mhz 12" with 640MB Ram, 60gb Hard Drive and a CD-R/RW-DVD drive Vist me at my blog

Krusty
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2005, 01:42 PM

Most of my "loves" are the same. I really don't have to handle it too delicately and it works like a champ. Scratches a lot but you can't see them except at certain light angles and they are really only surface scratches.

The bad is that does feel noticeably slower than my desktop eMac even though it technically has a faster processor. And the screen is NOT THAT GREAT for sharing (me and my gf try to look at things together on it and one of us always has a sh!tty view).

The weird: Its my first laptop and its tricked out with all the wireless connectivity (AP and BT built-in). I tether via BT/Cellphone to Cingular's MediaNet network ($20/mo for unlimited) from virtually anywhere ... so its essentially made the cyber-world-google-search-the-answer-to-anything life that I lead even MORE ubiquitous. Not sure yet if that is a net positive thing or not ... sometimes I think that I might be TOO connected. When I find myself sitting at a restaurant/bar booth answering work emails at 8 o'clock at night, I wonder if I haven't gotten a little too deep into cyber-land.

galarneau
Senior User
Nov 19, 2005, 02:23 PM

I hate that every iBook G4 I've had (800, 1.0, and 1.33GHz) have had space bars that are on lopsided.

joe_farley
Nov 19, 2005, 03:02 PM

Loves: size, mac osx, not to heavy, colour, simple, lots that can be done

Dislikes: scratches and marks easly, msn is different, only one button wich anoyes me
http://www.funnyville.com/fv/pictures/winrg.shtml -hahaha this is a mic take of the windows operating system

jadekitty24
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2005, 04:39 PM

Loves: Size, portability, OSX
Hates: It gets pretty warm...great when it's cold, sucks when it's hot.

Pogomwg
Nov 19, 2005, 07:41 PM

I am looking to buy a ibook and i was at the woodlands store and noticed how hot it was. Is heat a huge issue with the new ibooks and will it cause damage to the system?

d0GGii
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2005, 07:50 PM

everything's great on my 12'' ibook G4 except that it gets warm pretty easily at the palm place.

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2005, 08:17 PM

I have an iBook G3 900MHz.

Love:
Size. AirPort range. Ability to boot OS 9 and OS X.

Hate:
Low screen resolution. Inability to add more RAM (mine maxes out at 640MB). How difficult is is to take apart. Crappy GPU (no core image support).

Despite all my complaints, I have to say that this laptop has served me well.

cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2005, 08:24 PM

Loves are the same

Hate the low screen res and the RAM max.. mine is at 640 also. Also, I don't like how the construction feels pretty weak, for my ibook at least. and of course the vid card.

volcano
Senior User
Nov 20, 2005, 02:40 AM

It gets pretty warm...great when it's cold, sucks when it's hot.

If you think an iBook gets warm, try using an Aluminum or Titanium Powerbook for a few hours and you'll really feel the burn. I actually find myself having to "sit back" for a moment because the dang things get so hot on your palms and finger area of your hand - quite a nuisance. The iBooks don't conduct as much heat, obviously, because we have a nice thick plastic barrier between the internal components and the exterior. The Powerbooks? The outer finishes only exasperate the heat problem and make it worse.

jadekitty24
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2005, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by volcano
It gets pretty warm...great when it's cold, sucks when it's hot.

If you think an iBook gets warm, try using an Aluminum or Titanium Powerbook for a few hours and you'll really feel the burn. I actually find myself having to "sit back" for a moment because the dang things get so hot on your palms and finger area of your hand - quite a nuisance. The iBooks don't conduct as much heat, obviously, because we have a nice thick plastic barrier between the internal components and the exterior. The Powerbooks? The outer finishes only exasperate the heat problem and make it worse.
Wow. The only warmth on the iBook that I notice is the underside. The keypad and the rest of the topside is cool. That was one of the deciding factors when I bought my iBook. I guess I could have it worse

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2005, 02:13 PM

Love: Size + design and it has nearly everything I need.

Hate: No audio input, difficult to take a apart for upgrades/repairs (as already mentioned) and mine is old and slow..maybe time to overclock or upgrade.

thinkJDM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2005, 02:35 PM

Love: The SIZE!!!
Hate: None .... so far.

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2005, 11:21 PM

Love: the size, simple design (all the ports, CD drive etc), os x, wireless range
Hate: small stock HD, average LCD, battery almost dead after 2 years, keyboard not the best

On the whole I love it, and at home it is a desktop replacement (complete with firewire HD, dual layer DVD burner, 17" screen, keyboard + mouse, etc).

It's a bit slow, especially for video encoding. Heat isn't an issue now that I have an iCurve but it used to get hot enough for the fans to kick in. I still take it everywhere I go, although am a little annoyed by the $$ of a new battery.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

hldan
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2005, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
I love the fact that its so small, pretty light, and runs mac os x. I also love the long battery life and the great airport reception

I hate the way it scratches so easily, and that the keyboard is pretty flimsy. I also hate the slow speed of the hard drive, and the poor excuse for a graphics card (I have the 9200).

What about you?

Harisjamieh, out of the all the things you hated the most about your iBook you forgot to mention how much you hated the low price Apple charges for it.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005, 11:05 PM

love my clamshell. timeless design. i run panther and it's just a wee bit slow, tolerable for internet use. dislikes: small 6GB HD, 600x800 display, heavy. my new battery gets almost 6 hours; airport reception great. curved palm rests make it the most comfy laptop ever.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

Lucky8
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2005, 02:29 PM

Love the price compare to the overpriced Powerbook

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Nov 28, 2005, 09:44 PM

Loves: Design, cost, CPU (G4 1.42ghz), battery life, superdrive, memory (expandable to 1.5GB!), 2 finger scroll w/ trackpad.

Hates: Video card is weak (9550 32mb), resolution (only 1024..), gets pretty hot on the bottom left side...
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

toffe
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2005, 03:04 AM

( Last edited by toffe; Nov 29, 2005 at 03:14 AM. Reason: i think i pressed submit several times, i removed one instance)

toffe
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2005, 03:11 AM

Love: Size (12"), OS X, color, mobility, airport extreme, weight, the glowing apple, microphone reception, it is nice looking, quietness, the fact that you can walk around with it hawing it stand on your palm and you can operate it, the fact that it does not disturb others (noice etc.) when you use it in school, throw-it-somewhat-aroundability, just-open-it-and-go.

Hate:
a s-vido/rca video output cable costs 40€

bothered me in the beginning, but is ok because techology goes forward:
had to buy a new printer (no lpt1 port) but i bought a used usb laser printer and uses it with an airport express and now it is LOVELY
i can't use my non-usb muouse/keyboard with it

Does not bother me at all:
No folppy disc drive

Forbodium
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2005, 03:59 AM

So far I love the level of progression that the newest 12” iBooks have met. OS 10.4 is stable. Two-finger scrolling on the trackpad is ingenious. My only real peeves are the perpetuated lack of an audio input, and the limitations that the slowish HD speed puts on video editing. I also have to agree that the construction seems lackluster - the shell pieces creak when I grab it by the left corner of the wrist rest. My 600 G3 ibook doesn’t do that even though the case design is inherrently the same. For the most part, I love these laptops.
A process known as distributed computing helped map the human genome.

Now it's being used to find cures for cancer, ALS, alzheimer's and other diseases.

You can help by running a piece of software in the background. It's easy, free, and fun!

cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2005, 10:36 AM

Forgot to mention, the screen on my 12" G4 iBook is better than anything I've seen non-Apple. Very bright and crisp imho.

Chris

zign
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2005, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by cmeisenzahl
Forgot to mention, the screen on my 12" G4 iBook is better than anything I've seen non-Apple. Very bright and crisp imho.

Chris
Doubt it
15.4 MBP 2.33Ghz C2D, 3Gb, 120Gb HD, 256MB X1600, 10.5.1
iPhone 8GB
http://palitsyn.com

zign
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2005, 12:09 PM

Love: - Small; light; battery life is quite impressive; airport reception; design; MacOS and terminal

Hate: - Video. It's 2005. 32mb is just not enough. I think that iBooks should have at least 64mb and it's time for PowerBooks to get the option of 256mb - they are afterall powerbooks.

Don't mind: one button mouse (actually find it quite compfortable. not for desktops though); brightness of the screen; hot (mine only gets warm, probably because I use it for light tasks only)
15.4 MBP 2.33Ghz C2D, 3Gb, 120Gb HD, 256MB X1600, 10.5.1
iPhone 8GB
http://palitsyn.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules