Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Crap I wish i knew about these 'mac' sites before i bought my mac!

Crap I wish i knew about these 'mac' sites before i bought my mac!
bay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2006, 01:47 PM

i'm a new switcher. i never understood how crazy apple/mac fans were until i finally bought my own mac, a new 12" ibook at the apple store.

from the packaging, to the cool tiger intro movie, to the sleekness of mac os x, i finally see what the 'mac experience' is all about. it is fantastic i must add! after about 3 hours of breaking in my new mac, i hopped onto a bunch of websites because i was instantly a fan.

my euphoric introduction kinda died down when i read on a website called thinksecret (a staple website for the mac rumor community i now come to realize) that new intel ibooks might come out in janurary! CRAP!!! i just bought this thing 3 days ago!

i may end up having to pay the 10% restocking fee and return this one. what do you think?

jyunderwood
Jan 2, 2006, 02:20 PM

since this is your first mac... keep it. Chances are you'll be more excited about the new experience as a whole than some processor change.

Also keep in mind that it would be the first Intel based mac and with that might/will come with a fair share of problems.
fluid like water.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2006, 02:27 PM

I would never make a purchase decision based on rumor sites. They get some pretty wonky information sometimes.

Instead I'd recommend checkout out the Mac Buyer's Guide, even though it's on a rumor site. Find out when a product is new and buy it then.

JCT
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2006, 05:44 PM

Hold on to your iBook and enjoy it -- it's a super introduction to the Mac "side" and it is as stable as a rock. There are bound to be bumps in the road with the transition to the Intel side -- might as well let other folks deal with it.

Another great thing about Macs is that they hold their value *very* well. Treat your iBook nicely and later this year you will still be able to get a good price for it -- and by that time you might be ready for a Powerbook or the Rev B Intel iBook.

FWIW, just last month I bought my young son an iBook that I expect him to use for the next 3-4 years, I wanted a rock-solid platform that he could grow into. I barely considered waiting for the new versions. Besides, even if they are announced next week they may not be available for awhile.

Oh, and for your amusement here's *my* first post http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=192427

Enjoy your new Mac, but mind your wallet --- the darn things are like potato chips, just check out my sig.. and welcome!

JT

P.S. BTW, you have found one of the very best Mac forums on the web, the guys/gals here are uniformly helpful and gracious -- a great place!
Quad 2.5 Ghz G5 7GB RAM + 7800GT
15" MBP 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD
G4 DA 1.2 Ghz 1.5 GB RAM + 4 HDD (fileserver)
G4 Cube 800MHz , Radeon 7000, 1.5 GB RAM
<not bad for a relatively new switcher...>

JoshKurtz
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2006, 07:41 PM

I would keep what you got. I'll echo everyone else's point about ppc being a solid platform. And who knows how long it will be before your favorite software is released for the intel macs? Just because the platform is there doesn't mean that everyone is going to instantly release their software to run on it.

Congrats on making the switch. You will not regret it. You will start to find it amusing to hear friends and colleagues complaining about spyware and viruses, remembering back to how long it's been since you've had to bother with any of that.
iMac 17" 2GHz Core2Duo | 1GB RAM | 160GB hdd | Superdrive | Tiger and XP Pro

im_noahselby
Senior User
Jan 2, 2006, 09:21 PM

If you are the type of person who will live with regret over this type of thing, you may be wise to return it, if it isn't too much trouble. If however, you are happy with your purchase and don't want to take a gamble: keep it. There is no guarentee that you will be happier with what Steve announces at the keynote. He may in fact have no laptop announcements, even though this senerio is unlikely, it is entirely plausible. There will always be refreshes to every product line, usually about every six months, give or take a couple months.

Enjoy your iBook!

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

RadarBob2
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2006, 09:32 PM

Well, I guess ignornace really is bliss. But you saw the light and got a Mac. That's what counts.

I have to admit "MHz Envy" is tough - I replaced my 6 yr old iBook just 3 wks ago (and I bought a used 900MHz model - I use a Mac, I've nothing to prove); but trust us you will enjoy your mac nonetheless. Focus on learning The Way of Macintosh. I'd say we do not engage in "mine is bigger than yours" infintilism in the Macintosh community as much as the dark side does. And I think we do enjoy our Macs more.
bb iBook 300MHz / 278MB / 40GB / OS 10.2.8 / OS 9.2
iBook 700MHz / 640MB / 40GB / OS 10.3.9
iBook 900MHz / 640MB / 40GB / OS 10.3.9
PowerPC 604 / 72MB / 3GB / OS 7.5.5

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 2, 2006, 10:47 PM

Keep it, learn the OS with it, learn how much you love it. Then gloat at the "early adopters" who have to deal with a relative shortage of native-Intel coded apps. I'm betting it'll take at least 6 months, and probably more, before the really big Mac apps are even available in a native-Intel format. And there's no telling whether or not they'll be freely upgradable or "new versions" that you'll have to buy all over again. I'm sure some vendors will do the right thing and make them free, but others doubtless will cash in.

Welcome to the world of the Mac, and to the MacNN Forums!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2006, 03:32 AM

Eh. I say keep it as well. You've bought a proven machine. If there are new Intel 'books on the horizon, you're still probably better off with the iBook you just got. Don't let this ruin your experience. Compute, enjoy-- live and learn. I've an older iBook and I still enjoy it. I can't imagine how you could not enjoy your brand-spanking new iBook. Welcome to the bright side of computing. :-)

toffe
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2006, 04:08 AM

Keep
Enjoy
Be happy

Rumors are almost always wrong.
I waited lonng for a small update that did not come, so i bougth my 12" iBook,
i absolutely love it. And i WAS NOT bugged when the rumored updrage months later came out.

JAB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2006, 08:11 AM

Congrats on a fine choice. I'm typing this on my new 12" iBook (my third Mac...) which was purchased a couple of weeks ago. I needed to replace a deceased iBook and decided not to wait and see if anything "better" is or isn't coming soon. I would rather be using a proven machine than waiting for something that is rumored to be on the way ("new PowerBooks next Tues. anyone? ).

Regards, Jason

Pogomwg
Jan 3, 2006, 01:55 PM

I just got my iBook a few weeks ago, and love it. I am also a switcher. I did research for a few months before i purchased. The reason i got it now and did not wait was the fact that i did not want a 1G Mactel. That has bad news written all over it.
iBook G4 1.42 60GB 768mb. G5 iPod Video White 30 Gig.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 3, 2006, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Pogomwg
I just got my iBook a few weeks ago, and love it. I am also a switcher. I did research for a few months before i purchased. The reason i got it now and did not wait was the fact that i did not want a 1G Mactel. That has bad news written all over it.
First generation machines are indeed quite likely to have some "issues," if not with the hardware then with support and availability. Good call.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2006, 11:24 PM

Wait and see what happens. I think the new iBooks are going to knock our collective socks off.

Originally Posted by bay
i'm a new switcher. i never understood how crazy apple/mac fans were until i finally bought my own mac, a new 12" ibook at the apple store.

from the packaging, to the cool tiger intro movie, to the sleekness of mac os x, i finally see what the 'mac experience' is all about. it is fantastic i must add! after about 3 hours of breaking in my new mac, i hopped onto a bunch of websites because i was instantly a fan.

my euphoric introduction kinda died down when i read on a website called thinksecret (a staple website for the mac rumor community i now come to realize) that new intel ibooks might come out in janurary! CRAP!!! i just bought this thing 3 days ago!

i may end up having to pay the 10% restocking fee and return this one. what do you think?
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2006, 07:31 AM

Doesn't Apple have some policy thing that if a product you bought is updated within 14 days, you can exchange it for the newer one at:

a) the difference (if it costs more)
b) for free (if it's the same cost)
c) a refund of the difference (if it costs less)

???
Linkinus is king.

viruscool
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2006, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by brokenjago
Doesn't Apple have some policy thing that if a product you bought is updated within 14 days, you can exchange it for the newer one at:

a) the difference (if it costs more)
b) for free (if it's the same cost)
c) a refund of the difference (if it costs less)

???
Can't remember that one, however I do know that if you purchase a computer with say Tiger on it, if they release Leopard within 14 days then they will send you out Leopard for free. Maybe thats what you were thinking of, not sure though.
(The dark lord has risen again......Beware)

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2006, 12:53 AM

from the Apple website:

Product returns and refunds
Apple accepts returns of pre-built products only. If you are not satisfied with your pre-built product, please call 1-800-676-2775 for a Return Material Authorization (RMA) request within 14 calendar days of the receipt of the product.

Price protection
If Apple reduces the price on any product within 10 calendar days of shipment, you can request a refund or credit of the difference between the price you were charged and the current price. To receive the refund or credit you must contact Apple within 14 business days of shipment.

Upgrade protection
We will fulfill your order with the most current version available at shipment time. If the current version changes between the time you place your order and we ship it, you will be asked via email to confirm your order.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2006, 01:50 AM

There we go ^^^
Linkinus is king.

Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2006, 03:44 PM

return it. the current ibook (and powerbook for that matter) is old and slow....though the price is right. the new ones will blaze...and should be widescreen....but expect to pay more

gunga
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2006, 04:49 PM

I'm 2 months into my new 20" 2.1 GHz iMac G5, bought to supplement a 14" 933 MHz iBook G4. I don't know how I managed without.

Owing to surgery on my back, I spend a lot of time flat out on my back. The G5 sits proudly at the end of my bed where it serves as my window to the world!! I can honestly say that, had I not made the switch to Apple a couple of years ago, my whole computing experience would be a mediocre affair.

Using Apple products is a joy, from opening the box for the first time, right up to starting them up afresh at the stat of each day. Even the third=party software developers get into the spirit of things by producing the kind of software that Windows users can only dream about - easy to install, easy to use and fit for purpose. A lot of it is Freeware,. too.

If you have any doubts over your purchase, please allow me to expel them now. The more you use your iBook, the more you'll appreciate it.
( Last edited by gunga; Jan 7, 2006 at 06:22 PM. )

Zak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2006, 10:25 PM

As someone who bought a Powerbook 5300, the first PowerPC-based Powerbook, I have to recommend against buying one of the first Intel macs. The 5300 was nothing but trouble, which I strongly suspect was the result of the platform change. Apple gave me a 1400 to replace it after multiple warranty repairs - the 1400 was about as trouble-free as laptops get.

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2006, 05:02 PM

Bay, I hope that you don't become the kind of Mac owner (seemingly prevalent on these forums) that obsesses over every little update that comes along and then spend your (presumably) hard-earned money for the "latest and greatest."

I agree that buying a first generation Intel Mac is not the best idea, based on years of personal experience. Unless you want to spend your time dealing with the likely multiple issues that will come up during the transition period, you are much better off keeping your new iBook.

If I were you, I would spend as little time as possible perusing Mac forums and websites such as this one, unless you have a specific need or a desire to assist others as you gain experience using your iBook. Start-up iTunes, turn on the Visualizer and enjoy!

BTW, David Pogue wrote a book for folks just like you who are switching from PCs to Macs. The new edition is available from Amazon for less than $20. I haven't read this particular book, but I have learned much from Pogue's books over the years and highly recommend him as a knowledgeable user of both PCs and Macs and a darn good writer too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules