Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iLife 06: Thanks for the upgrade pricing, not

iLife 06: Thanks for the upgrade pricing, not
zl9600
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2006, 03:33 PM

I was bamboozled by the $80 upgrade from 4 to 5 and found only minor improvements in iPhoto, the ONLY software portion I use out of iLife.
The audacity of Apple to not offer upgrade pricing for those of us who have now paid three times the same amount as a new box costs is offensive to me.

I'm simply going to have to find an alternative to iPhoto as it's competition is improving all the time and some of it is freeware.

Until Apple respects those who pony up full price for software only to be asked to do it again and again (thereby penalizing those who adopt early), I'm out of patience for iLife vaporware until it shows up in a new system. LAME.

I guess I can't say I'm surprised, however.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are
missing.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2006, 03:43 PM

1) iLife is Software, so, wrong forum

2) They have never had upgrade price before, did you really think they would this time?

3) For $79 do you really think you should expect an upgrade price? This package is a steal at that price given all that you get in the box.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2006, 03:49 PM

Maybe the lesson here is that you don't actually need to buy the latest release of every new product? Particularly one that you don't seem to use very much.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

zl9600  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2006, 03:55 PM

1. you are right. i clicked on the wrong link which about 20 pixels above the correct one. my bad and maybe a moderator can fix it.

2. yes, i do think they would. apple is no different than any other software company, car company, etc. they look at everything and consider what fair costs are etc.

3. you could say this about ANY software company. why didn't adobe charge $1300 for the upgrade from CS1 to CS2? because it takes loyalty into account and realizes that there is competition and it's a good thing to reward people who have stuck with earlier versions. this is my point with apple. i agree with you ilife is a comprehensive package, but not if you don't use garage band or imovie or idvd. but there is competition out there that does as good if not better jobs at many of these functions.

my overall point is that apple is penalizing people who go along wtih upgrades every time, and the improvements are not marked (or worth a dot upgrade).

you know what they say... fool me once...
missing.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Blur
1) iLife is Software, so, wrong forum

2) They have never had upgrade price before, did you really think they would this time?

3) For $79 do you really think you should expect an upgrade price? This package is a steal at that price given all that you get in the box.
I agree. I'm going to buy this. The Upgrades are VERY VERY nice.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

zl9600  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2006, 04:00 PM

you are right, space monkey. like i said, 'fool me once...'

however, software companies' bread and butter and fattest profits are made off of the manic upgraders. IMHO it's not smart to charge full price because people soon learn that they can wait for the next version and get the improvements elsewhere in the meantime, or wait till they buy a new system, etc.

especially when there is significant competition, as is the case with every mini program in iLife (most definitely iPhoto and iWeb). apple strikes a fine balance and does tempt people like me who love their software (and suffer through the problems with it, too), and love the integration.

but there is only so far you can keep this up; this was my breaking point. maybe not yours, but mine. i suspect i'm not alone.
missing.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 10, 2006, 04:10 PM

Not only is this the wrong forum, we explicitly prohibited the creation of threads about the new products. We created threads, and you are expected to post in them.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules