Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Ordered New Intel iMac

Ordered New Intel iMac
baw
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2006, 07:29 AM

Since everyone says the new Intel Macs are "like butta!" I went ahead and ordered one. Here is what I ordered:

Code:
iMac 20-inch 2GHz Intel Core Duo Part Number: Z0CY SuperDrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD+RW/CD-RW) 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB iWork '06 preinstalled Keyboard & Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X - U.S. English Accessory kit ATI Radeon X1600/256MB VRAM 250GB Serial ATA drive Estimated ship: 3-5 business days Total: $2,024.00 (Government Discount)
EDIT: The order now has a estimated ship date of 01/24/06. Orders starting to get backed up perhaps?
( Last edited by baw; Jan 16, 2006 at 03:27 PM. )

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2006, 07:51 AM

Nice one, only mistake was buying the RAM from apple, they rip you off. I ordered my 17" intel iMac with just 512, and im gonna chuck another 1 GB stick in there from crucial when I get the iMac
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

baw  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2006, 08:13 AM

The Apple 2GB upgrade was only $20 more than Crucial using my discounts. Saves me from opening the iMac.

EDIT: Two 1GB DIMMs through the Apple Store is $284. Two DIMMS from Crucial is $260.
( Last edited by baw; Jan 16, 2006 at 10:17 AM. )

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2006, 09:20 PM

Cost is only one reason not to buy RAM from Apple (note that if you bought memory from a third party you'd be able to sell the included 512MB for ~$80). The other is their return policy:
Please note that Apple does not permit the return of or offer refunds for the following products:
1. Product that is custom configured to your specifications

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Jan 16, 2006, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
Cost is only one reason not to buy RAM from Apple (note that if you bought memory from a third party you'd be able to sell the included 512MB for ~$80). The other is their return policy:
Please note that Apple does not permit the return of or offer refunds for the following products:
1. Product that is custom configured to your specifications
that's fine, if you want to also pass up on the opportunity to get a really cheap 128MB upgrade on the VRAM. you'd be stupid to pass that up.

also I doubt you'd buy a Mac like this and then decide to return it just cause you didn't want it. that would be idiotic.

and you can't order the RAM from Crucial ATM as they're out of stock. and it's 118, not 130.

BTW, I ordered mine a few days ago and my ship date is the 23rd so yeah, I'd say they're backed up

Macadvo
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2006, 10:20 PM

What's this Accessory Kit that I see people have ordered? I didn't see any accessory kit when I ordered mine from the Applestore UK.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 17, 2006, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by baw
The Apple 2GB upgrade was only $20 more than Crucial using my discounts. Saves me from opening the iMac.

EDIT: Two 1GB DIMMs through the Apple Store is $284. Two DIMMS from Crucial is $260.
Actually, Apple's price is to upgrade from 512MB to 2GB, while Crucial's price is for two 1GB chips outright. But as has been pointed out, Crucial is out of stock.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2006, 05:48 AM

Yeah, I ordered mine also:

20" iMac
1x1Gb (will add another 1gb from someone else)
256 VRAM (why wouldn't you?)
250gb hd

Also says shipping by 1/24/06 - yet it said 3-5 days when I ordered it - seems there is a growing backlog. I am off from work the weekend of 1/27-29, I REALLY hope it shows up by then...

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

isao bered
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2006, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by LeeG
Also says shipping by 1/24/06 - yet it said 3-5 days when I ordered it - seems there is a growing backlog.
i ordered my 20" bto day 1 and it has shipped. although figuring out the tracking is a little strange for some reason - shows a status seemingly contrary to the displayed tracking. their original projection was delivery by 18 january so i suppose i'll see it before the end of the week.

i've checked on some of my main apps and the reporting so far is no *expected* issues with rosetta emulation - though the maker of my major app (canvas x) has not yet replied. and so far it seems about 50/50 among those makers that have responded on plans for universal binary (or intel specific versions) of their apps in the near future. oh well, moving from a sub-ghz g4 to the intel processor ought to give a significant speed increase regardless.

be well.

laeth

Psikotic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2006, 10:53 AM

I ordered the same configration as the guy who created the thread... 20", 2GB, 256MB... I ordered the night they were announced...

Mine was supposed to not ship until Jan 18th... Friday I check on the status and it had shipped from China already... I upgraded my shipping, and I got it Monday morning...

I am typing on it right now

baw  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2006, 11:29 AM

Congrats!

hanz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2006, 12:57 AM

Hi,

I ordered this Sunday night

20" iMac
1x1Gb
256 VRAM

Also says shipping by 1/24/06 - also said 3-5 days when ordering it!

Hope I get it soon!

HouseSold
Senior User
Jan 18, 2006, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by hanz
Hi,

I ordered this Sunday night

20" iMac
1x1Gb
256 VRAM

Also says shipping by 1/24/06 - also said 3-5 days when ordering it!

Hope I get it soon!
Crucial is out of stock and price is $130 now; was $118 for Xmas promo.

Memory was in stock here for less, Bud the owner: http://www.datamem.com/parts_that_fi...E_Apple_A_C_E_

YMMV

jtwiskowski
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2006, 04:49 AM

I ordered Jan 10, 2006 at 10:57 AM PST according to Apple. And have had an estimated ship by date of Jan 18, 2006. Many people have ordered after me, yet have already received theirs. Mine is a CTO, but so were many others that shipped before mine.

I ordered...

iMac 20"
ATI Radeon X1600-256MB SDRAM
1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM-1x1GB
250GB Serial ATA drive
SuperDrive 8X
iWork '06
Keyboard & Mighty Mouse

Just thought I would let those waiting now, I am waiting as well!

p.s.
Seeing Crucial was out-of-stock, I ordered from the link above...DMS.
However, over 24 hours later and no response from them.

Macadvo
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2006, 11:11 AM

Noone willing to let me know the secret of what this accessory kit is?

HouseSold
Senior User
Jan 18, 2006, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Macadvo
Noone willing to let me know the secret of what this accessory kit is?

Probably Apples' method of defining power cord type and restore DVDs and operating manual language market destination.

For example: USA model market vs China vs Japan vs Germany etc.

Macadvo
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2006, 11:49 AM

Ahhh ok thanks for filling me in. I even went to the US store (I live in the UK so obviously have ordered my iMac from the UK store) and specced an iMac and didn't see mention of an accessory kit anywhere.

Was starting to feel paranoid like noone was letting me in on the secret lol

Thanks again.

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Jan 18, 2006, 01:46 PM

mine shipped out today. was supposed to ship the 23rd but apparently got bumped up.

again, was the standard 20" except I got the extra 128MB of VRAM.

I have two 1GB sticks on the way though.

quiklee
Senior User
Jan 18, 2006, 03:08 PM

Congrats! I know you'll love the iMac!
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2006, 05:01 PM

Congrats to all early adopters, brave people !

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Jan 18, 2006, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by LeeG
Yeah, I ordered mine also:

256 VRAM (why wouldn't you?)

L
As a serious question, why would you? I'd like to know where 256mb on an iMac is gonna mean better performance.

Seriously.

T

Peabo
Senior User
Jan 18, 2006, 10:32 PM

if you drive 2 displays, the extra vram is very very useful. It gets split in half for each screen. My 17" 1.33ghz powerbook takes a serious performance hit with a 23" ACD attached.
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 18, 2006, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by z0ne81
if you drive 2 displays, the extra vram is very very useful. It gets split in half for each screen.
I'm told that while the video RAM is shared, it's not split down the middle. It depends on the screen sizes and the number of windows open.

baw  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2006, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by :dragonflypro:
As a serious question, why would you? I'd like to know where 256mb on an iMac is gonna mean better performance.

Seriously.

T
Because I can.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 19, 2006, 02:53 AM

I ordered the same configuration as the one at the top of this thread (except with one 1GB stick of memory instead of 2). I ordered on 1/16 and I also have a ship date of 1/24.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 19, 2006, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by z0ne81
if you drive 2 displays, the extra vram is very very useful. It gets split in half for each screen. My 17" 1.33ghz powerbook takes a serious performance hit with a 23" ACD attached.
What kind of performance hit are you talking about? I don't notice a significant difference when using my 23" Cinema Display on my 12" PowerBook. Unless you're talking about games.

baw  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2006, 02:17 PM

The date on my order is now Jan 31, 2006.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2006, 04:07 PM

I'm so jealous...

DoctorGonzo
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2006, 04:53 PM

I put in my order on the 13th of January.

Code:
20" iMac Core Duo ATI Radeon X1600-256MB SDRAM 1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM-1x1GB 500GB Serial ATA drive SuperDrive 8X Kybd, Mighty Mse & Mac OS X
Estimated ship date: February 13th.

Delivery by: February 21st.

I think I'm going to go sit in a corner and rock back and forth nervously for over a month.

jyunderwood
Jan 19, 2006, 04:54 PM

I order for a 20" through amazon is set for the 25th and to arrive the 1st (I'm cheap when it comes to shipping).
fluid like water.

baw  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2006, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by DoctorGonzo
I put in my order on the 13th of January.

Code:
20" iMac Core Duo ATI Radeon X1600-256MB SDRAM 1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM-1x1GB 500GB Serial ATA drive SuperDrive 8X Kybd, Mighty Mse & Mac OS X
Estimated ship date: February 13th.

Delivery by: February 21st.

I think I'm going to go sit in a corner and rock back and forth nervously for over a month.
Looks like that upgraded hard drive is pushing your delivery date back.

DoctorGonzo
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2006, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by baw
Looks like that upgraded hard drive is pushing your delivery date back.
Yeah, I've been tempted to call Apple and tell them to forget about the half-terabyte, but I've had the displeasure of having my files scattered between drives with my current setup (700Mhz G3 Dual USB iBook w/20 gig internal, 120 gig external Firewire) and I'm tired of it.

I'm just hoping their estimates are hopelessly pessimistic.

Jawbreaker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2006, 06:43 PM

Yup, the 500gb drives cause huge delays - I ordered a 17" on the day of the keynote and am currently quoted shipping by Feb.9th, delivery by the 14th (despite having paid for expedited shipping, what gives?)

Curiously, though, I called today to check on it and they told me the order couldn't be altered or cancelled because it has already gone to manufacturing. So maybe it will come early?

Peter753
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2006, 06:48 PM

Yeah the 500 Gig HD pushed mine way back to February 15th.

DoctorGonzo
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2006, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbreaker
Curiously, though, I called today to check on it and they told me the order couldn't be altered or cancelled because it has already gone to manufacturing. So maybe it will come early?
If you could be so kind as to post/send me a PM when yours finally ships, I'd be most appreciative. I'd like to get some real idea as to when to expect it.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2006, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by :dragonflypro:

Seriously.

T

I have a 19" mits CRT hooked up to my G4 tower now. One of the BIG reasons I finally got this machine was the ability to power a second monitor, so I can sit it right next to my current monitor.

For $68 (edu) whats the downside, knowing I plan to drive 2 large monitors...??

Some brand new intel-optimized game may benefit in a year or so...who knows?

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb

isao bered
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2006, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by isao bered
i ordered my 20" bto day 1 and it has shipped. although figuring out the tracking is a little strange for some reason - shows a status seemingly contrary to the displayed tracking. their original projection was delivery by 18 january so i suppose i'll see it before the end of the week.

i've checked on some of my main apps and the reporting so far is no *expected* issues with rosetta emulation - though the maker of my major app (canvas x) has not yet replied. and so far it seems about 50/50 among those makers that have responded on plans for universal binary (or intel specific versions) of their apps in the near future. oh well, moving from a sub-ghz g4 to the intel processor ought to give a significant speed increase regardless.

be well.

laeth
it arrived today and and looks to be a nice machine. the file transfer from my emac originally showed to take 29 minutes so i started cooking dinner - it was done before it was time to flip the chicken breast.

the good news is that all my photography and graphics programs seem to run just fine under rosetta. scanners and printers will likely have to wait until tomorrow, but hopefully all goes well with them, too.

one strange thing, though. i went ahead and hooked up my formac tv to the imac (ran just fine, too). i keep both the cable box and the formac box always on so a simple click can have a movie running on the side while i work on projects. turned on that cheesy photobooth just to check out the included software and the video feed from the formac is playing (without sound, of course), but flipped horizontally. if i don't turn off the formac studio it overrides the isight camera, apparently.

so i opened ichat to see what happens. it feeds from the isight with the formac on, but when ichat launches it opens up the formac input feed control panel. strangeness. do they make conflict catcher for os x? ;-)

for those of you waiting, my initial impression is that you'll be pleased with the machine. the 20" is *very* quiet after start up, very bright, and very easy to transfer old files and settings to (even from partitions - just sticks them in a new folder on the imac's drive). now i've got to get busy working up some new desktop backgrounds for the additional screen area.

be well, y'all.

laeth

hanz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2006, 12:02 PM

My shipping date was Jan 24th (ordered Jan 15), but I got an email today (Jan 21) that it has begun shipping via Fed Ex. I am so glad I did have to wait until the 24th for shipping!

HouseSold
Senior User
Jan 21, 2006, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by hanz
My shipping date was Jan 24th (ordered Jan 15), but I got an email today (Jan 21) that it has begun shipping via Fed Ex. I am so glad I did have to wait until the 24th for shipping!
What sometimes happens, because of increased demand (the word is out ), is the CTO, non stock supply orders are probably backing up. Once the public discovery of the advantages of more RAM and larger HD capacity before the iMacIntel case is closed, the CTO units will increase even more. Apple makes even more profit through Apple store placed orders vs outside vendor orders.

Down the road, (next revision) what we purchase as upgrades now, will be entry level issue, if history of Apple products holds true.

Here's an order (CTO graphic card upgrade to 256 mb only) placed on January 15th and slated for estimated SHIP date for Jan 24th. It will probably ARRIVE a day earlier than the scheduled SHIP date.
Unless we can coax the nearby FedEx to let us sign for it over the counter today, Jan 21st (before it goes to the truck, out for delivery) That's what weekends are for Playtime-----Yeah

READ from the bottom up.....Remember, was ordered on the 15th (Sunday) online. The date in China is a day ahead of USA. ie 21st here, 22nd there; also workdays and holidays have an effect like MLK Birthday holiday here.

Code:
Jan 21, 2006 6:02 AM Arrived at FedEx location LOS ANGELES, CA 4:40 AM Departed FedEx location INDIANAPOLIS, IN 2:55 AM Int'l shipment release INDIANAPOLIS, IN Jan 20, 2006 11:03 PM Arrived at FedEx location INDIANAPOLIS, IN 1:31 PM Departed FedEx location ANCHORAGE, AK 12:20 PM Arrived at FedEx location ANCHORAGE, AK Jan 19, 2006 2:14 PM Left origin SHANGHAI CN 2:09 PM Picked up SHANGHAI CN Package received after FedEx cutoff 9:03 AM Package data transmitted to FedEx
Posted for all you expectant (iMac) parents pacing the floor

palple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2006, 02:26 PM

Finally I ordered this one:

20" iMac Core Duo
256MB VRAM
1x1GB DDR2 SDRAM
250GB HD

Lets hope it arrives with no dead pixels!
iMac fp 15'' G4 700Mhz, 256MB RAM, 10.3.8
iBook 12'' G4 1.2Ghz, 768MB RAM, 60G, 10.4.0

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Jan 21, 2006, 07:56 PM

mine is just sitting here in Tulsa and I can't get it for two days!

OH THE HORROR!!!!

it's due at 10:30 AM though..... HURRY PLZTHX!

HouseSold
Senior User
Jan 21, 2006, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by MORT A POTTY
mine is just sitting here in Tulsa and I can't get it for two days!

OH THE HORROR!!!!

it's due at 10:30 AM though..... HURRY PLZTHX!

Painful, isn't it.

Just like when our kids go out on their first date, we think about it all the time.

We're expectant Mac parents !

Do I hear a diesel delivery truck ; ohhhh shucks it was brown.......not FedEx

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2006, 12:25 AM

I plan on ordering my at the end of the month. Fully pimped. (20", 500GB SATA, 2GB ram, 256MB vram)

DoctorGonzo
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2006, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by mavherzog
I plan on ordering my at the end of the month. Fully pimped. (20", 500GB SATA, 2GB ram, 256MB vram)
When you finally get it in March of 2009, tell us how it is.

Seriously though, don't buy the RAM from Apple. Upgrading one stick to 1GB is fine, but buying 2 gigs from them is just a total waste of money.

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2006, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by DoctorGonzo
When you finally get it in March of 2009, tell us how it is.

Seriously though, don't buy the RAM from Apple. Upgrading one stick to 1GB is fine, but buying 2 gigs from them is just a total waste of money.
Typically, I would agree with you (all the other Apple's I currently own (12" iBook, 2 mac mini's, G5 iMac) I ordered with minimal RAM and upgraded with 3rd party memory. However, the memory upgrade prices for the Intel iMac are actually quite reasonable for a change through the Apple store. Certainly not optimal, but reasonable enough for me to pay a little extra and not deal with ordering from multiple vendors. (plus, the RAM will then be covered under warranty/applecare)

Now, if I was going to upgrade to the max ram in a G5 iMac, that would be another story! (go check out their current pricing on THAT ram...ridiculous!!)

HouseSold
Senior User
Jan 22, 2006, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by mavherzog
Typically, I would agree with you (all the other Apple's I currently own (12" iBook, 2 mac mini's, G5 iMac) I ordered with minimal RAM and upgraded with 3rd party memory. However, the memory upgrade prices for the Intel iMac are actually quite reasonable for a change through the Apple store. Certainly not optimal, but reasonable enough for me to pay a little extra and not deal with ordering from multiple vendors. (plus, the RAM will then be covered under warranty/applecare)

Now, if I was going to upgrade to the max ram in a G5 iMac, that would be another story! (go check out their current pricing on THAT ram...ridiculous!!)
Watch the price changes (upward) when vendors discover the demand. Apples' RAM prices factory installed may end up being generous. Apple is not the only computer maker using Duos and thus others using the same types of DDR2 Ram also.

The following refers to 1gb SODIMMs"

A matched pair of these are on the way from: http://www.datamem.com/parts_that_fi...E_Apple_A_C_E_

Also:http://www.crucial.com/store/MPartsp...&WSPN=CT500622
Crucial raised their price from $118 on Monday last.

http://macramdirect.com/imac.html with genuine matched pairs shown

Frys/Outpost had the Mushkin 1gb memory early last week that many here purchased for $67.99 for 1gb sticks; as soon as they saw the demand they bumped them to $99

The vendors are taking advantage of the demand at buyers' expense. Shop early for RAM or order it installed from Apple while your iMac is being built.

Repost of Apples' how to bulletin: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303084

Mac OS X (10.4.4)
( Last edited by HouseSold; Jan 22, 2006 at 03:53 AM. )

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2006, 03:21 AM

HouseSold: The Crucial you linked to is slower DDR2 for a G5 iMac.

Crucial, and most memory suppliers, change pricing with changes in the spot price of DRAM and changes in customer demand... that's Microeconomics 101.

HouseSold
Senior User
Jan 22, 2006, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
HouseSold: The Crucial you linked to is slower DDR2 for a G5 iMac.

Crucial, and most memory suppliers, change pricing with changes in the spot price of DRAM and changes in customer demand... that's Microeconomics 101.
Mark

Thanks,

I fixed it above in edit; had the correct link at work today. Too many hours watching FedEx

Here's the proper link again:
http://www.crucial.com/store/MPartsp...&WSPN=CT500622

Nice SODIMM close-up : http://www.pqi.com.tw/upload/photo/NB-PC4300(1).jpg
( Last edited by HouseSold; Jan 22, 2006 at 03:56 AM. )

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2006, 08:10 AM

20" iMac Core Duo
256MB VRAM
1x1GB DDR2 SDRAM
250GB HD

Ordered 1/15, initially said planning to ship 1/24, then I got an email yesterday morning saying it has shipped.

As for the ram stuff, I went with the 1x1Gb, with a plan to get another 1gb stick asap from another vendor - generally my MO with macs. Can't wait...

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb

baw  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2006, 08:17 AM

EDIT: Finally!

( Last edited by baw; Jan 22, 2006 at 08:42 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules