Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Finder Slideshow

Finder Slideshow
VX4c90uu22-.01
Feb 18, 2006, 04:21 PM

when I select photos in the Finder, right click and select Slideshow, the photos appear in random order.

Anyway to make them appear in the same order as they are in the folder?

thanks, VX

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2006, 08:25 PM

They appear in numerical and then alphabetical order as far as I can tell. Just look at the way they are listed in the index sheet.

The Finder slideshow is (overly) limited and will hopefully see major improvements at some point, but if you want absolute control over your images in a slideshow, use iPhoto.

VX4c90uu22-.01  (op)
Feb 22, 2006, 08:22 PM

I haven't been able to figure out a pattern, the order changes each time I start the slideshow.

yellowdog
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2006, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by VX4c90uu22-.01
Anyway to make them appear in the same order as they are in the folder?
When you are selecting finder view options, select the column view choice. Then when you select the photos you want, do the slide show and they will be in the correct order as listed in your column view. In some quirk, any other view choice will give you a random slideshow. Strange, huh?

VX4c90uu22-.01  (op)
Feb 24, 2006, 09:56 PM

hey, I think you are right!

If I put the finder window in that third view option "as Columns" then the slideshow is in the proper order.

I NEVER use that view, I don't find it useful.

It would be great if they would fix this. I was hoping to win the 1,000,000,000 song contest so that when Steve Jobs called me, I would tell him about this issue!!!!

thanks

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2006, 03:51 AM

Or you can open the photos in Preview before you start the slideshow. The photos will be in the correct order if you open them in preview first.

VX4c90uu22-.01  (op)
Mar 18, 2006, 09:26 PM

I recently bought Photoshop Elements 4.0

It has a program called Bridge which allows you to browse your files in the folders they are stored...you don't have to import them like in iPhoto.

Bridge has a really good slideshow and allows you to change the size of the thumbnails. Its really fast too.

The only thing it doesn't do is show quicktime movies.

I highly recommend this, at $89 its completely worth it.

Compare this to ACDSee on the PC, but much better and more stable.

VX

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2006, 09:49 PM

I don't have anything useful to add, except that VX4c90uu22-.01 is the best name ever.

Do you use Elements in conjunction with iPhoto at all? I've been thinking about getting it because I want more editing power than iPhoto, but don't need Photoshop. But I like letting iPhoto handle the filesystem parts..

VX4c90uu22-.01  (op)
Mar 18, 2006, 11:08 PM

I don't use iPhoto right now, I have too much invested in all the folders I've created for my photos...I like browsing them that way.

I haven't used the editing functions in PSE yet, but I hear they are improved and easy to use.

Forum Links
Forum Rules