Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > any new themes?

any new themes?
cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2006, 07:06 PM

now that themepark and shapeshifter are updated, i'm hoping to see some new themes released.

i've yet to see a really impressive theme, since cathode. though that theme was too dark for me to use regularly, so before that...siro, maybe. anyways, i've been dieing for a new theme, but haven't seen anything i like, so far. mostly flat looking, ugly themes, lately.

i wish orion was made. that theme looked amazing. we need themes like it, which are a bit more colorful than just white, grey or black with a small touch of another color. switch things around and use maybe a nice blue for the overall theme color.

before anyone says "well make it yourself", my photoshop skills aren't all that great. plus, i've tried and tried, but never get too far from doing the menu bar (always my first step).

so are their any interesting themes coming out soon?

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2006, 12:41 AM

Unfortunately, you most likely aren't going to see too much in the way of modded themes or even new ones. Several "regulars" who did a lot of theme work for OSX have recently "retired" from theming. Omega (not orion) is vaporware thus far, and won't be released any time soon (shapeshifter 3 is required, and that's if Bill Bart is even interested in finishing it at this point).

Unfortunately, it doesn't look too good for theming right now, if you ask me. I hope I'm proven wrong, but I don't think I will be.
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

cruciarius  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2006, 12:57 AM

omega? i don't think i ever saw that one, unless they renamed orion to omega.

well hopefully some new theme makers come along soon. i did see someone mention that they might make an attempt at theme making.

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2006, 09:43 AM

I don't mean to come down on anyone's efforts... but "attempts" with no exception that I'm aware of ALWAYS result in no theme, or one that looks just like Aqua with a different (ugly) colored set of buttons.

Theme making in OSX is incredibly difficult and time consuming. There are maybe a dozen or so active (great) themers out there. That's incredible given the number of Mac users in the world. And the problem, unlike the Windows theme community, isn't the lack of artistic talent, it's the lack of the skills and patience needed to use the incredibly confusing and un-intuitive theme making software available for making OSX themes.

For those who understand how to use ThemePark AND have a great eye for design, it's STILL a daunting task.

As I said though, I hope I'm proven wrong and we seen boat loads of great themes released this year.
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2006, 02:01 AM

MacDog is right. Makes one long for the glory days when Swiz & Max were dropping good stuff seemingly every month. I do see lots of new stuff on sites like InterfaceLIFT, but never anything I'd use.

I'm with the OP. I love themes, but don't have the talent (or the time) to create my own.

If something like Omega really did come out, I'd even pay for it.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2006, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by MacDog
For those who understand how to use ThemePark AND have a great eye for design, it's STILL a daunting task.
Thank you for stating that fact.

wigglywoo
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2006, 11:19 AM

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2006, 02:23 PM

Ditto...

Originally Posted by eyevaan
Thank you for stating that fact.

cruciarius  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2006, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by wigglywoo
that screenshot of the DVD player, looks nice. i don't have SS 2.3, just yet. i'm going to wait for a few more themes are released for it.

but like i said, although that looks nice, it's not the "new" i'm looking for. it seems to use grey/silver and black, like just about 90% of the themes out there. the other 10% that use various other colors, aren't always that great. for example, their were some gundam themed themes ages ago. they were pretty much all red or all green (depending on which you picked to used), but i wouldn't use it (no offense to the creator(s), but it didn't remind me of gundams at all, other than the symbol you used for the apple menu). their are few colored themes that i'd ever consider using, like sweat slumber (amazing colorful unique theme) or maybe even somatic (though it has a slight childish feel to it) i wish more like them were made, instead of everyone making white/grey/silver/black themes.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2006, 05:39 PM

have you seen the screenies for pixeljuice?

cruciarius  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2006, 06:02 PM

have you seen the screenies for pixeljuice?
no, i haven't. where can i go to see some?

notlad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2006, 10:57 AM

There were several amazing themes that were supposed to be produced out of the theme contest that never saw the light of day. Where is nickel cobalt?

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2006, 12:03 PM

Nickel Cobalt is being worked ... expect a couple of months to iron it out in TP3 and the new SS so it may have all the skins people want.

in the meantime expect neat stuff like:
PixelJuice
screenie
screenie w/ dev group

on the NC thread . . . I think I should clarify that I do not have an inside track on it's creation BUT the TP updates was commented as one part of the holdup for the creators a couple of months ago. I am possibly making an unjust assumption on its release date but I think giving them at least a few months to work it out is only fair. Theming is hard work.
( Last edited by eyevaan; Feb 25, 2006 at 02:58 PM. )

cruciarius  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2006, 12:41 PM

ah PixelJuice is kind of nice (i'm not big on orange). it's what i was talking about, color-wise, but if it doesn't have any other color options, i doubt i'd use it.

philcozz
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2006, 02:16 PM

Nickel Cobalt is being worked ... expect a couple of months to iron it out in TP3 and the new SS so it may have all the skins people want.
That's good news. The mock-up for NC was beautiful.

mac15
Senior User
Feb 25, 2006, 05:56 PM

I updated Kamino for SS 2.3, in the SS downloads panel

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2006, 07:41 PM

I agree that the state of theming for OSX is at best quiet, at worst declining.
I use a PC at work and its amazing to see the volume, depth and variety of themes available for window blinds.

I think the major difference is that MS opened up their OS to allow changing of the interface, while apple has taken the opposite stance, it closed off the environment and the changes it applies to patches and upgrades frequently breaks themes.

I'm no window's proponent, but I think this is one thing that windows excels at hands down.

Mike

mac15
Senior User
Feb 25, 2006, 08:41 PM

There is no doubt that theming in Windows is still strong. There is about 10x more elements to edit in Mac OS X, saying that I'd still rather be theming OS X. Themes just feel much more complete and polished (when done properly) in OS X. For example, load Kamino up on XP then load it up on OS X and tell me which one is better... I think you'll agree with me

But yes theming has slowed down on OS X because its hard for new people to get started with it and for the veteran themers its hard to find the time to continue updating multiple themes. I only recently just got back into the swing of things after a few months off.

cruciarius  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2006, 06:37 PM

sorry to bump an "old" thread (it's mine anyway ), but instead of making an all new one, thought this would be better...

i've been using the same grey theme for months now (forget the name, but it's a mod of a few, into one).

so it's been a while and again, i ask... are their any interesting themes in the works?

notlad and eyevaan had mentioned a theme called Nickel Cobalt. anyone know if thats done? even if it isn't, anyone know where i can see a sneak peek of it?

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2006, 06:44 PM

This one is *Omega-like* .......

cruciarius  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2006, 06:50 PM

wow. is that nickel cobalt? (says so in the windows showed, but you said "omega-like"). thats amazing. is it out yet?

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2006, 07:29 PM

Hence the Omega comment....it's vaporware thus far. It was the winner of the Macthemes contest and due for release a year ago...or more.

cruciarius  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2006, 07:39 PM

ouch.. eyevaan had said it was being worked on though...

any themes that are coming out and not just a tease?

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2006, 09:23 AM

let me clarify... there is a thread at macthemesforums [locked since the flaming became out of control] BUT from the themer and the artist they explain the state of NC. it was last summer <sigh> but life is what it is and creating a proper release does take time... lots of time...

cruciarius  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2006, 07:25 PM

about new themes... anyone know where i can get a theme mockup file? i vaguely remember it being a pdf file, with lots of layers. i can't find it and i've already searched the home of shapeshifter and themepark.

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2006, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by cruciarius
about new themes... anyone know where i can get a theme mockup file? i vaguely remember it being a pdf file, with lots of layers. i can't find it and i've already searched the home of shapeshifter and themepark.
Look in the goodies folder of the Themepark dmg file....

cruciarius  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2006, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by digitaljames
Look in the goodies folder of the Themepark dmg file....
thanks, dj..

i remember downloading one before though. i'll check those theme templates. thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules