Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Usb 2.0 chip? to store EyeTV on G3 (350Mhz)

Usb 2.0 chip? to store EyeTV on G3 (350Mhz)
toffe
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2006, 04:04 AM

Hi. i bougt an Terratch EyeTV for DTT, to se digital tv.
i have an old G3 (350 Mhz, 512 Ram) that i migth use to record programs, on, and store the programs on it's external harddrive.
I would then use my xbox, to see the stored programs over the lan. (using windows sharing)

But for this to work, i need to have usb 2 on my G3 so i can use the DTT device.
(i have a friend who has got a similar g3 but with usb2 inserted, and is able to record programs on it, but the viewing is not possible, or is very unzippy)

The question is:

can i buy any usb 2 chip (with power) and insert it, or must i buy some "mac compatible" that seems to be more expensive.
i have OS X Tiger on the machine.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 06:44 AM

Hello there, I bought a PCI USB2 card, the brand is 'Mentor', box says it is Mac OS X compatible, running Tiger 10.4.5, I did not need to install drivers… just plug & play and you are done. It has six ports, four external and two being internal. It is attached to a Blue & White G3 350 MHz Power Mac, aimed to get speedy connectivity with an iPod Video. I am also located in Europe, so I guess you could find it in some online store… a friend found it for me, I think that was on some eBay Power Seller…

mountainash
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2006, 08:16 AM

Pretty much any USB2 card based on the NEC chipset will work with Tiger. Just go to your local PC store and have a look at the cards. Or phone around. You will probably save 20USD than if you buy a 'mac' card.
Power Mac G4 Digital Audio 533MHz 1.5GiB RAM, 2x 80Gb ATA HDDs, 320Gb SATA HDD, Radeon 9650 256MiB, Airport Extreme compatible PCI card, Zip 250, Pioneer 110, Firewire DVD burner, 21" CRT, Harmon Kardon Apple Pro Speakers, OS X 10.4.6
Powerbook Pismo G3 400MHz, 768MiB RAM, 80Gb HDD, AirPort Extreme PC Card, Bluetooth 1.1, DVD-ROM, OS X 10.4.6, Ubuntu 5.10, MacOS 9.2.2
To buy: RAM for Pismo, CPU upgrades

toffe  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2006, 11:17 AM

thanx.

i bougth a Edimax EU-CV4N, and it said in heir webpage that it supports Mac OS 10.3
i have Tiger, and it only works as a usb 1.0
when i try to run EyeTV it says that my Terratec t2 s connected to an usb 1.0 port and that it must be in a usb 2.0

Nivag
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2006, 01:36 PM

do you have other USB 1 devices also plugged into this card?
It maybe that all the ports on the card are run from one USB pipe, and will only then run as fast as the slowest device connected.

is the EyeTV only thing connected?

Forum Links
Forum Rules