Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro & S-Video

MacBook Pro & S-Video
Powerbook
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 12:31 PM

For years, I've connected my Powerbooks with my TV via the S-Video port. Close lid, attach cable, wake up. So I just noticed Apple "steved" another port on the MBP. Sure, you can use the DVI->S-adapter, but
- adapter not included
- another item to think of
- inelegant
- long winded (de-attach monitor, attach adapter, attach S-Video)

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Bryanmc
Forum Regular
May 29, 2006, 01:58 PM

Yeah, I do miss the S-video out. It was pretty handy on the PowerBook.

But, I bought an adapter and am dealing with it. I'd prefer to have it built-in, but I guess it just wasn't a big enough feature for most users.
MacBook Pro - 2.0GHz Core Duo
iBook - 1.2GHz G4
PowerMac - Dual Core 2.3GHz G5
Mac mini - 1.25GHz G4

ibook_steve
May 30, 2006, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bryanmc
Yeah, I do miss the S-video out. It was pretty handy on the PowerBook.

But, I bought an adapter and am dealing with it. I'd prefer to have it built-in, but I guess it just wasn't a big enough feature for most users.
More like it was too big a connector to fit with everything else.

Steve

schalliol
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2007, 10:42 PM

I have the DVI to S-Video/Composite adapter sold with MacBook Pros, but I can't seem to get it to work. When I hit detect displays, I don't get anything. The first time I press it, I get a blink on the screen, but it seems that the MBP has no idea the display is connected. Does anyone have ideas of how to make that work?
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

jtrwallace
Jul 17, 2007, 12:03 AM

Yeah, that's the one port I miss the most. During high school my class always depended on my PowerBook to have the S-Video out because our projector only worked with S-Video and no one else had a laptop capable. Also, whenever I would have a party I connected my PowerBook to my FireWave which allowed for surround sound and connected my 5.1 Speakers and then connected the big screen in the living room to the s-video port and put on the iTunes visualizer. Everyone was always like OMG that's so cool... now I can't (It's an old big screen so no DVI)

schalliol
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2007, 12:15 AM

Yeah, so I guess the adapter I have simply doesn't work on my unit. Right?
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Forum Links
Forum Rules