Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Getting a PC to see a Mac Share

Getting a PC to see a Mac Share
pastusza
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 1999, 12:10 PM

If I share something over IP on my Mac, can I get a PC to see the share and write data to it? What do I need to do?

------------------
Andy Pastuszak
[email protected]
Andy Pastuszak
amp68(spammenot)-at-verizon.net

Jeff Edsell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 1999, 06:25 PM

The product we use is called DAVE, and it's available from Thursby Systems <http://www.thursby.com>. It installs a Mac-compatible version of NetBIOS on your machine, so you show up in their Network Neighborhood and they show up in your Chooser. It's pretty neat, and very easy to use.

There are also solutions like MacLAN, that let a Windows box see the AppleTalk Network. (I can't remember who makes MacLAN, though.)

Hope this helps.

Jeff

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 1999, 10:32 PM

You can also use an FTP server on your Mac. There are several shareware programs that do this. I personally use NetPresenz which is also a web server as well as a FTP server. It's $10 cheap.

drewman

drewbert
Feb 20, 2000, 01:54 AM

Just downloaded the DAVE demo, and about to install it. Sounds like a good package, but can anyone tell my why it costs $149, and why this functionality isn't standard in MacOS by now? Seems to me PC connectivity out of the box would be a very basic necessity these days - why has it been overlooked by Apple?

There's also a PC-side solution to Mac-PC networking, but it's $200! Yikes!

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2000, 03:21 PM

Mac OS 9 does offer more networking options (such as file sharing over TCP/IP). But yes, more networking protocals should be supported.

Hopefully, an individual programmer will add this to Darwin.

poil11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2000, 03:39 PM

one of the best programs i think is deinitelly pc maclan. just a program on the pc that lets it see appleshare networks. nothing needs to be installed n the mac at all. they have a free tril i think at there web page. http://www.pcmaclan.com/ defnitelly my pick for doing pc and mac files sharing.
poil
www.poil.net

jsevier14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2000, 04:48 PM

Any idea how to make Dave work when there is a Cable Modem or other high speed connection in the mix? The cable modem requires that the IP address be obtained automatically, which conflicts with DAVE where the IP address needs to be set manually.

Would PC MacLAN be a better solution? I need something that will use another protocol or allow for automatic IP address setting on the PC side. Would an FTP server work here?

thakala
Feb 28, 2000, 12:36 AM

Originally posted by jsevier14:
Any idea how to make Dave work when there is a Cable Modem or other high speed connection in the mix? The cable modem requires that the IP address be obtained automatically, which conflicts with DAVE where the IP address needs to be set manually.

Would PC MacLAN be a better solution? I need something that will use another protocol or allow for automatic IP address setting on the PC side. Would an FTP server work here?
Hi:

I have a cable modem, but fortunately I have a static IP address. Even so, a setup like mine may work for you.

I have:
-G3/350 with an additional Ethernet card
-Cable modem hooked to the on-board Ethernet of the G3
-Ethernet hub hooked to the add-in Ethernet card on the G3
-old PC (running Win98 and Linux) connected to the hub using a 3com 3C509B Ethernet card
-PCMacLan (www.miramarsys.com) for Win98 to get AppleTalk so I can use my Personal LW 320 with Windows (Haven't figured out the AppleTalk/Linux thing yet)
-IPNetRouter (www.sustworks.com) on the G3 that allows the Win/Linux box cable modem access through the Mac. (AppleTalk is not needed for this on Linux or Windows--they are using TCP/IP)

With this arrangement, I can share files with Windows (and soon Linux, too) and use my one printer also. Windows and Linux OSs can use the cable modem simultaneously with the Mac. This way both my wife and I can be on the net at the same time by using only one connection. Works great!

Todd

chicken_tastes_good
Feb 29, 2000, 06:24 PM

copstalk will allow windows machines to use the appletalk protocol (for appletalk file sharing)
The empty can rattles the loudest

Thursby Software
Apr 19, 2000, 12:26 PM

COPS, Inc. went out of business and COPSTalk has been replaced with TSStalk by Thursby Software.

Forum Links
Forum Rules