Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Carpet in the bathroom?

Carpet in the bathroom?
pinenuts
Baninated
Location: i have moved to another location per peter's message
Oct 19, 2007, 03:59 PM

Anyone else think it weird?

Rumor
Oct 19, 2007, 04:00 PM

Yes.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2007, 04:00 PM

Like, wall-to-wall? Not common, no. Usually just an area rug is ok.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2007, 04:03 PM

one word: MILDEW

had a roomate once that insisted to have a mini carpet in the bathroom. after a couple months of us standing on it after showers (NOT TOGETHER, EWW) it started smelling up the place. he insisted it was something else until i picked it up and had him smell it, he threw it out.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2007, 04:06 PM

Don't do it, dude. You'll always end up with water where you don't want it.

andi*pandi
Oct 19, 2007, 04:09 PM

w2w is bad bad bad. minicarpets can be WASHED not tossed.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2007, 04:10 PM

i even suggested that, he just tossed it (he was a lazy anyways)

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2007, 04:14 PM

not a good idea. maybe those small carpets, but not w2w (unless you have servants to maintain it)
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

pinenuts  (op)
Baninated
Location: i have moved to another location per peter's message
Oct 19, 2007, 04:17 PM

I am talking about wall to wall.

How gross it is? What if you kinda miss when tinkling? Where does the pish go?

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2007, 04:20 PM

Most men on the face of the earth couldn't piss in a swimming pool without missing the water and getting it all over the side. Carpet in a bathroom? Not weird at all... if you like urine soaked flooring.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2007, 04:23 PM

Yes, but only cashmere carpet.

-t

paul w
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2007, 05:10 PM

I had carpet in an old apartment that not only ran up the wall of the tub (ew) but was in the seperate toilet room as well, which meant that when the ****er leaked, well that was disgusting... We removed that sh!t to reveal lovely red terracotta floor tiles (tomettes).

iM@k
Senior User
Oct 19, 2007, 07:12 PM

A friend on mine not only had (recently removed during a renovation) w2w carpeting in his bathroom, it was super thick shag carpeting. Very uncomfortable bathroom to use until the pulled it out.
What, me worry?

Cold Warrior
Oct 19, 2007, 07:14 PM

I just bought a house with w2w in the bathroom. At least it was clean when I moved in. Getting rid of it is Project Number One. Replacing with tile or linoleum.

Trouble
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2007, 07:21 PM

My new house (Richmond-do NOT buy)put carpet in the master bathroom, but not the second bathroom...I think because I didn't upgrade to tile and requested linoleun.
I'll be tearing it out this winter and going with stained concrete.

They were such idiots to deal with.

Carpet! in a bathroom

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2007, 07:28 PM

Carpet in the bathroom?? I thought that was only found in the UK.

(seriously -- what's with carpets in the bathrooms in the british isles?)

Ceramic tiles on my bathroom thank you. Easy to clean, bright and nice.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2007, 07:35 PM

carpet tiles would work. I still think it's gross...

Andy8
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2007, 07:56 PM

You could use water-proof carpet, similar to the stuff used in power boats.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2007, 08:05 PM

Or AstroTurf?

kikkoman
Senior User
Oct 20, 2007, 07:09 AM

I had wall to wall carpet in my bathroom except by the toilet which was in a water closet. It's not to bad if you can kept it clean and dry but there's only so much you can do with a vacuum cleaner. I recently replaced it with tile.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2007, 07:21 AM

My ex's parents bought a house with wall-to-wall pink carpet in the bathroom, along with floor-to-ceiling mirrors around the corner spa. That was some kinky **** right there.

Originally Posted by pinenuts View Post
What if you kinda miss when tinkling?
I don't think I've ever tinkled.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 20, 2007, 12:25 PM

When we told our builder "we want tile in the bathroom-not just in the toilet alcove, but the whole thing" the guy acted like he thought we were nuts. But we paid a very small premium and got very nice tile (really rolled flooring) anyway. Not that we've had a problem with the toilets, but I think of it as insurance. Same with around the tub and shower. Ever try to dry out carpet?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2007, 12:31 PM

My grandparents have bathroom carpets in their place, but they have a light door separating it from the water-leaking part — in there, it's just a minicarpet that they can clean easily. It's really nice to be able to step onto warm carpet instead of just cold bathroom floor. I've always thought it was a good idea to keep in mind for when I get a house of my own.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2007, 12:31 PM

I hate it. Almost all of the bathrooms here in Colorado have carpet. It doesn't get mildew since it's so stinken dry here, but I still don't like it. As soon as we moved into our house here, I pulled the carpet out of my bathroom and put some nice laminate in.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2007, 12:34 PM

I personally love having carpet in a bathroom whether it be rug or wall to wall. there are few things I despise more than getting out of the shower and stepping on cold linoleum.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2007, 12:54 PM

I am talking about wall to wall.

How gross it is? What if you kinda miss when tinkling? Where does the pish go?
It forms little droplets all around the toilet. Which you clean up when you mop your nice non-carpet floor surface.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2007, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
I personally love having carpet in a bathroom whether it be rug or wall to wall. there are few things I despise more than getting out of the shower and stepping on cold linoleum.
That's what a bath mat is for. You put it on the floor when you take a shower and you can stand on it when you get out of the shower and are still damp. Heck, just drape it over a radiator for a few minutes before putting it on the floor and it will be still all nice and warm when you get out of the shower.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 20, 2007, 01:08 PM

If there is no carpet in the bathroom, how is one supposed to poop on the rug?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2007, 01:13 PM

Besson?
Chuck
___

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 20, 2007, 01:36 PM

I guess you could ask him.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2007, 02:54 PM

It's all about tile floors with a radiant heating system. That's what my mom's got at her house in New Mexico anyway. Absolutely great in the winter, although sometimes you have to wear slippers because the floor it too hot.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2007, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Absolutely great in the winter, although sometimes you have to wear slippers because the floor it too hot.
Cool, you can make yourself breakfast on the floor then. Nice scrambled eggs 'n sh!t.

-t

macroy
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2007, 03:18 PM

Wasn't that like a 70s thing? Most places I've seen carpet in the bathroom also matched the color of that era (brown, green, pink etc). Carpet anywhere near a water source is just asking for it in the long run (including foyers and mudrooms).

Tile is the way to go IMO. With a bathmat by the shower that you can wash every few days. In fact - I'd have hardwood / tile throughout the house, and only have area rugs in the bedrooms/sitting areas. But that's just me - I find it nicer, not to mention I'm pretty much allergic to just about everything (ever taken those needle tests at the allergist? The only thing that didn't react was the control).

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2007, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Cool, you can make yourself breakfast on the floor then. Nice scrambled eggs 'n sh!t.

-t
Hahaha. I don't think it's ever actually gotten that hot. Mostly it's just an issue of your feet getting sweaty and slippers separate you from the floor enough to mitigate that.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2007, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
It's all about tile floors with a radiant heating system.
That stuff always scares me. I have it here, but I always feel like I'm going to catch the floor on fire if I leave it on.
Chuck
___

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2007, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
That stuff always scares me. I have it here, but I always feel like I'm going to catch the floor on fire if I leave it on.
I take it you don't have tile floors then?

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 20, 2007, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
I'm not a fan or cold linoleum either, that's why I pulled it up and went with glass tiles over in-floor heating. I've found the results are much more pleasing than a bath mat over what may have been the ugliest linoleum ever installed anywhere. A bamboo mat in place of a carpet bath mat eliminates a lot of mold/mildew concerns and makes cleaning much easier.
Nemo me impune lacesset

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2007, 05:26 AM

What everyone here fails to realise it that in the UK the bathroom carpet is specifically designed for bathrooms, its it water resistant, antibacterial and anti-fungal. If I lived in a cold country in an old house with bad central heating, I think it would be quite cosy to have carpet in the bathroom.

Cipher13
Oct 21, 2007, 05:35 AM

Carpet in a bathroom? I don't think the question would ever be raised here. It's just not done.

Tiles all the way.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2007, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
What everyone here fails to realise it that in the UK the bathroom carpet is specifically designed for bathrooms, its it water resistant, antibacterial and anti-fungal. If I lived in a cold country in an old house with bad central heating, I think it would be quite cosy to have carpet in the bathroom.
That doesn't get rid of the cleaning problem...

And just because it's done in the UK doesn't mean it's a good idea. Quite the opposite

-t

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2007, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
That doesn't get rid of the cleaning problem...

And just because it's done in the UK doesn't mean it's a good idea. Quite the opposite

-t
Why would the cleaning problem we any different in the bathroom than any other room?
I think the fact that Brits do have carpets and don't drop dead of carpet related illnesses shows that it is not a health risk.

I think carpet related diseases are a myth invented by Australians to help them compensate for other insecurities.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 21, 2007, 07:26 AM

I guess that would depend if you were a drinker or not. I never allow parties at my house because those that are drunk can never seem to hit the toilet. No matter if they sit down or not.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2007, 08:03 AM

Carpet is fine as long as it's only a half bath and has no shower. With a shower, you'd have mildew problems. As for linoleum, well, get some tile instead.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2007, 08:11 AM

Not the stuff I've seen. That was home to a bazillion of as yet unclassified life forms.
Carpet in the bathroom is disgusting and unhygienic. Bathmats can be washed frequently, carpet can't.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 21, 2007, 10:23 AM

In all likelihood that carpet simply encourages "unexpected" life forms to grow. Life WILL persevere. Anything I can't bleach the ever lovin' protoplasm out of in the bathroom is not welcome because nothing survives bleach. Ever bleach carpet? On purpose? Not an effective solution.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2007, 10:46 AM

Now that I've torn apart my bathroom for a complete redo, I'm going to order some of this up and carpet my shower.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 21, 2007, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
In all likelihood that carpet simply encourages "unexpected" life forms to grow. Life WILL persevere. Anything I can't bleach the ever lovin' protoplasm out of in the bathroom is not welcome because nothing survives bleach. Ever bleach carpet? On purpose? Not an effective solution.
That's what I tell my GF, but she still wont go get a wax.

*runs*

abe
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2007, 02:15 PM

Anyone else think it weird?
Yup. It's a nice idea but ultimately it's impractical.

You will be kicking yourself regularly for having done it until you rip it out.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

abe
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2007, 02:22 PM

Organic Hemp Crochet Bath Mat Collection by Rawganique.com

The newest addition to our Ecru CannaBliss Collection, our hand-crocheted hemp bath mats in various sizes (including the new 4'x6' size which is suitable for using as hemp area rugs; hemp toilet lid cover and toilet contour are shown top in Natural) are elegant and truly sustainable. They are hand woven exclusively for us using only certified organic European hemp yarns. We are very excited to be introducing this very special hemp product, which has long been in development in response to our customers' request for more hemp content in our line of European hemp bath accessories.

The single layer hemp bath mats and area rugs are meant for use with an anti-slip bottom layer (normally made from natural latex) to help keep rug in place and in shape and to reduce wear-and-tear due to foot traffic.

Please scroll down to choose from the sizes and color availability in the chart below for all your bathroom decor needs (please order according to products codes to avoid confusion).

TSC1 Organic Hemp Bath Mats/ Area Rugs
Product Dimension USD CAD
TSC-CS1 Hemp Bathmat Contour, hand-braided, single layer: Natural or Sage Contour $34 C$45
TSC-CB1 Hemp Bathmat Contour, hand-braided with hand woven backing: Natural or Sage Contour $39 C$51
TSC-LC1 Hemp Bathmat Lid Cover, hand-braided, featuring a tie-string Natural or Sage Lid Cover $24 C$32
TSC-46S1 Hemp Bath Mat/Area Rug Medium 4'x6': Sage, Forest, Earth Brown, Indigo (Deep Ocean), or Burgundy 48"x72" $89 C$125
TSC-68S1 Hemp Bath Mat/Area Rug Medium 6'x8': Sage, Earth Brown, Indigo (Deep Ocean), or Burgundy 72"x96" $169 C$229
TSC-ym1 Hemp Rug Runner/Yoga Mat 24"x72": Forest, Indigo, Licorice Black, Burgundy 24"x72" $49 C$64
HC1 Hemp Bath Mat, 100% hand-woven, rectangular shape: Natural, Licorice Black, Deep Ocean Blue, Forest Green, Oregon Grape, Sage, Alpine Meadow, Burgundy, Earth Brown, Ivory, or Evening Mist app. 19"x26 to 21"x32 $22 C$30

European Hemp Bath Mats Area Rugs Rawganique.com 1.877.Raw.Hemp
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

Forum Links
Forum Rules