Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > It's official. Macbook Air

It's official. Macbook Air (Page 2)
Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2008, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
No, the iBook and 14" iBook were cheaper. In fact, I seem to remember a price of $1799 for the 12" PB.
True. I should have said cheapest "pro" laptop. The 12" PowerBook had significantly more functionality than the 12" iBook of the time, which was a G3.

This one less functional than the MacBook in just about every way, except size. Small size is nice, but the price is too high. It really does remind me of the Cube. I LOVED the design, but thought it was a ripoff.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 10:59 PM

Engadget reports that Apple will replace the battery for $129.

I think the price is high, but not unreasonable. That's the price of light and thin.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2008, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
Engadget reports that Apple will replace the battery for $129.

I think the price is high, but not unreasonable. That's the price of light and thin.
Yeah, that's reasonable. I wonder if Apple is eating some of the cost here, in terms of labour.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
True. I should have said cheapest "pro" laptop. The 12" PowerBook had significantly more functionality than the 12" iBook of the time, which was a G3.
No again! The first iBook G4 was intro'd Oct 2003, but it was really the 12" PB, which itself was intro'd Jan 2003. Every iBook G4 was really the guts of the previous generation 12" PB in a plastic case.

The 12" PB did have more functionality, like DVI out and a PC card slot and multiple display output. But it wasn't any faster.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jan 15, 2008, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
The MacBook Air costs lots more than the MacBook, and offers significantly less functionality.

This is the Cube all over again. (Well, maybe not that bad.)
How does it offer less functionality? Slower processors? Its processors are better than that of its competitors. No optical drive? I don't use my optical drive often; I'd be willing to shell out for an external if it meant a smaller computer. No expandability? The only achilles heel is the hard drive size, as 2 GB of RAM is plenty sufficient. No removable battery? That's a matter of preference. I don't mind, but many will. The MacBook Air is designed to satisfy a different need than the MacBook. You can't compare the two head to head like that. That's like cross-shopping a TZ with an Inspiron 1420. Doesn't work like that.

This is far from being the Cube all over again. The Cube, to me at least, didn't satisfy any voids in the marketplace. It was a headless iMac, offering nothing above and beyond the iMac's functionality aside from a different aesthetic. The MBA is an ultraportable laptop and the MB is a general consumer-grade laptops.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jan 15, 2008, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Option 1 - Remote Disc. It can 'borrow' the drive from another mac and connect over Wifi, using the macs drive as its own.
How is this different than simple volume sharing? I seem to recall sharing a CD-ROM drive using File Sharing on Windows. How is this any better/different?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2008, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post
How is this different than simple volume sharing? I seem to recall sharing a CD-ROM drive using File Sharing on Windows. How is this any better/different?
It's automatic. Seriously, that's all.

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2008, 11:59 PM

I just did a search for the sony.
Sony VAIO VGN-TZ195N/XC Notebook
(1.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile U7600 , 2GB DDR2, 48GB SSD, DVD±RW DL, Windows Vista Business, 11.1" LCD - MPN: VGNTZ195NXC)
Price Range: $2,955.00 - $3,674.18 Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
One ExpressCard / 34 slot One media card reader for optional media One SecureDigital slot I/O: (1) RJ-45 (1) Headphones (1) IEEE 1394 (1) RJ-11 (1) Microphone (1) Port Replicator (2) USB 2.0 (1) VGA (1) DC-In
Life: 4-7.5 hours Power Requirements: 68W+10%

So I think the macbook air is very cheep compared to the sony and I went to many sites and this is what i found.

So for one we get a larger hd faster cpu larger screen and way cooler. May

lowbuzz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2008, 12:03 AM

This place is like Apple Fanboy heaven.

If I even see anyone walking around with one of those things, I'm gonna have to pull a Dirty Harry.

Cuz hey - if you can throw your money away on one of those things - I can take yours and you can go just buy a new one, right?

Then I can just put it in shrinkwrap, save it for a few years - and sell it for like $10k on eBay -

It'll definitely be a rarity. So on the other hand, go out and buy one if you're loaded. It'll be worth something someday.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2008, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by yoyoman View Post
I just did a search for the sony.
Sony VAIO VGN-TZ195N/XC Notebook
(1.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile U7600 , 2GB DDR2, 48GB SSD, DVD±RW DL, Windows Vista Business, 11.1" LCD - MPN: VGNTZ195NXC)
Price Range: $2,955.00 - $3,674.18 Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
One ExpressCard / 34 slot One media card reader for optional media One SecureDigital slot I/O: (1) RJ-45 (1) Headphones (1) IEEE 1394 (1) RJ-11 (1) Microphone (1) Port Replicator (2) USB 2.0 (1) VGA (1) DC-In
Life: 4-7.5 hours Power Requirements: 68W+10%

So I think the macbook air is very cheep compared to the sony and I went to many sites and this is what i found.

So for one we get a larger hd faster cpu larger screen and way cooler. May
Yeah but the Sony is seriously overpriced. Scratch that. The Sony is a complete ripoff.

The MacBook Air is "only" very expensive.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 16, 2008, 01:15 AM

What did people like so much about the 12" Powerbook G4? Most (mac user) customers who aren't pleased with the current selection (pre AirBook) lament the lack of the 12".

I'm afraid if it's all about "footprint", the AirBook won't be a satisfactory alternative.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jan 16, 2008, 01:16 AM

The MBA is expensive if you constantly put it in the context of the MB or the MBP. If you put it in the context of the TZ, which Apple was obviously aiming the MBA at (constant spec comparisons are good indication of this), the MBA is plenty competitive, even with its shortcomings.
AKcrab- "AirBook"? Nice one. Sounds better than MacBook Air (ProBook..... eh that doesn't sound that good, though D: ).
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

turnedge762
Jan 16, 2008, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
The 12" PB did have more functionality, like DVI out and a PC card slot and multiple display output. But it wasn't any faster.
The 12" PB never had a PC card slot. That was reserved for its bigger cousin.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2008, 01:29 AM

I have a 12" iBook, and think it's clunky and heavy.

This is an interesting option... no firewire has me going "hmmmmmm" but I haven't done much video over the past few years (and I could always pull it off of my old tower).

I use my optical drive once every other month, and I could probably just as easily use the tower.

This computer is CLEARLY designed for people that already have a Mac [or Windows computer] where they want a lap computer that's simple. I understand why many people would like it. Especially students and business people like myself that are tired of hauling a heavy Mac around.

Makes me cringe when thinking of my 17" HP.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2008, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by lowbuzz View Post
This place is like Apple Fanboy heaven.

If I even see anyone walking around with one of those things, I'm gonna have to pull a Dirty Harry.

Cuz hey - if you can throw your money away on one of those things - I can take yours and you can go just buy a new one, right?

Then I can just put it in shrinkwrap, save it for a few years - and sell it for like $10k on eBay -

It'll definitely be a rarity. So on the other hand, go out and buy one if you're loaded. It'll be worth something someday.
Funny, many people said the same thing about the first people that picked up the original iPod.

lowbuzz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2008, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
Funny, many people said the same thing about the first people that picked up the original iPod.
They did? Point me to the threads.

When Apple releases a new product and even their loyal customer base thinks it sucks - cuz they're SICK AND TIRED of Jobs playing Professor Gadget...

Let's move with the new MacBook Pro, please!

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2008, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
Very nice, congrats.
I want to see one first hand, and then I'll probably make the purchase.
You know what's funny? When I was reading about it on MacRumors, I thought "no way in a million years am i buying this! 4200RPM hard drive? No firewire? 1 USB Port? No Optical Drive? Non-replaceable battery?"

Then I saw it in person, and I didn't really care LOL!

P.S. I met Steve Woz while he was riding his Segway by the Moscone Center.
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2008, 02:31 AM

I am waiting to learn about the performance of the hard drive and seeing it in person... I would really like to kick in an extra $150 or so and bump it up to 4GB of RAM...

And there were definitely threads saying the iPod would be a flop. I am too lazy to look them up, but they were there... that's what I sure thought at first...

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2008, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by turnedge762 View Post
The 12" PB never had a PC card slot. That was reserved for its bigger cousin.
Opps, you are right.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2008, 02:37 AM

i for one find the price to be quite cheap. it's not a computer i want, will not buy and could care less how much they charge for it.

cripes--- i can do more of the things i want to do on my 2 g3 laptops.

alas, gotta admit it's got style.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

im_noahselby
Senior User
Jan 16, 2008, 02:56 AM

With the MacBook Air, Apple is asking us to make some sacrifices. Although you gain an incredibly slim form factor, you're losing a lot in functionality.

Personally, I'd rather have a slightly thicker enclosure if it meant it included things like an extra USB 2.0 port, ethernet port, optional video card, etc.

Had Apple conceived a dock to go along with this product, with all of the standard ports, optical drive, and other bells and whistles, I might be interested, but for now, I think I'll have to pass on this one.
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

skalie
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2008, 03:18 AM

Only available with glossy screen

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2008, 03:21 AM

When Apple releases a new product and even their loyal customer base thinks it sucks - cuz they're SICK AND TIRED of Jobs playing Professor Gadget...

Initial Forum Reaction To iPod In 2001: It Won't Sell - Digital Life Blog - InformationWeek

Apple's New Thing (iPod) - Mac Forums

People HATED the iPod when it came out. How can you not remember this? It was panned by many. The iPod had a hard time actually picking up. I remember when it was still "cool" to own one because no one else had one.

Apple's iPod spurs mixed reactions | CNET News.com

lowbuzz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2008, 04:00 AM

Oh - it's probably because my entire life isn't centered around Apple.

At any rate, let me know when this POS catches on. Then I'll buy one to go with my iPod. No... wait - I don't OWN one!

Probably because I don't define myself by the music I listen to, or the computers I buy.

I buy Macs because they WORK, end of story. When they're churning out laptops that light my crotch on fire, this does not make me happy.

What I was HOPING for was an IntelBook that wouldn't melt the family jewels - thanks to less moving parts, better heat dissipation, with the emphasis on ETCETERA.

Nobody is getting jack out of this deal other than Professor Gadget being able to claim the THINNEST notebook - YeeHAWWWWWW!

I'm very glad he's your god of innovation - but I'll just wait until he packs Intel's next-gen processor into the next MacBook Pro, then go out and buy one because he's OBVIOUSLY too caught up in streaming movies to bother with minor inconveniences like

LAPTOPS THAT LIGHT YOUR CROTCH ON FIRE!

The only cool thing about the Air is that you can fry an egg on it AND use it as a spatula at the same time.

Only a retard who defines themselves by owning the "latest" gadgetry would find this stupid thing the least bit appealing.

My fiancee says I can't waste my time here anymore - so love ya.

Originally Posted by Jasoco View Post
Initial Forum Reaction To iPod In 2001: It Won't Sell - Digital Life Blog - InformationWeek

Apple's New Thing (iPod) - Mac Forums

People HATED the iPod when it came out. How can you not remember this? It was panned by many. The iPod had a hard time actually picking up. I remember when it was still "cool" to own one because no one else had one.

Apple's iPod spurs mixed reactions | CNET News.com

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2008, 04:16 AM

Guess what. You're not the target audience. Now shut up.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2008, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Ok what the f*ck? An integrated battery? Screw that. I'm never buyin a laptop with an integrated battery. That's just flat out stupid.
I know. I have had 5 laptops in my life and never had to change out the battery in any of them.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2008, 06:05 AM

Plus Apple is replacing it for you, so what's the problem? By the time it does finally die, you'll probably be onto your next computer.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2008, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jasoco View Post
Plus Apple is replacing it for you, so what's the problem? By the time it does finally die, you'll probably be onto your next computer.
Most Apple people can not see this. They can't see beyond 5 seconds on a product that they actually haven't even touched yet, or is yet shipping.

matty-uk
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2008, 06:41 AM

My fiancee says I can't waste my time here anymore - so love ya.
Seems being under the thumb has given you a bad attitude, chill out.

jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2008, 06:51 AM

Today , 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Ok what the f*ck? An integrated battery? Screw that. I'm never buyin a laptop with an integrated battery. That's just flat out stupid.
I know. I have had 5 laptops in my life and never had to change out the battery in any of them.

....funny, perhaps if you had one then you would have had to change the battery like I, and a huge number of other people I know, did.

Noonster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2008, 07:40 AM

I know I will prob get one as very rarely use CD/DVD anymore as everything I am given is normally either via email or on a USB memory stick. If I did need to which would be hardly ever I would be happy to drop the CD/DVD in another machine and wirelessly install.

The only thing for me is the HD Capacity as it is rather small (ish) but I am the kind of person who likes everything with me, where as most people who buy this will have their music/photos on an external HD at home and connect to that anyways and when out and about you would normally be using documents and there is plenty of space for them. So taking that into consideration 80Gb would actually prob be enough if it was just full of docs...

Thats how I am looking at it anyways... I think its aimed more at a business man or someone attending Uni or something similar!!

This in partnership with a Time Capsule unit at home would work well... you can even plug the Time Capsule unit into your router and connect remotely (when not at home) to the Time capsule (external HD) and get your music/photos - so looking at it that way you still really have them with you dont you, well as long as you have an Internet connection... and lets face it in this day and age (and the future) the internet is everywhere and wireless is a big thing!!

I really do like them, but as I said before am a little put off by the price, but it does have the latest screens, the latest wireless, a smart new touch pad, its ultra thin etc... etc... - I guess you get what you pay for at the end of the day!!
MacBook • 13.3" MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 250GB
iMac G5 • 20" iMac G5, 1.8GHz, 1GB, 160GB, SD, AP, BT/KB/MS
iPod Mini • Silver, 4GB
iPhone 3G • Black, 16GB

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2008, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
This computer is CLEARLY designed for people that already have a Mac [or Windows computer] where they want a lap computer that's simple. I understand why many people would like it. Especially students and business people like myself that are tired of hauling a heavy Mac around.
Bar the students and you are very close to the group targeted by the MBA. It is for them and no one else. OK, probably a few more, but certainly not the average student at this price.

All Macintosh is about is a good applications package (iLife) to be used in conjunction with Mac OS X on a complete computer. This targets the totality of home users and with the software availability today the vast majority if not all the professional users. The MBA is more of a corporate stripped down computer than anything else in the traditional Macintosh sense.

It will be very interesting to see how well the MBA will do in the market it points to, where there is already competition and established ground.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2008, 08:28 AM

Oh - it's probably because my entire life isn't centered around Apple.

At any rate, let me know when this POS catches on. Then I'll buy one to go with my iPod. No... wait - I don't OWN one!

Probably because I don't define myself by the music I listen to, or the computers I buy.
If you still think that all people who love listening to music only do so because they define themselves through the music they hear, I suggest you wait until you're out of middle school and start meeting some slightly more-developed personalities.

When they're churning out laptops that light my crotch on fire, this does not make me happy.
Either you have already had plenty of experience using this particular machine, or you need to try a different urologist.

Troll.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2008, 11:29 AM

Apple didn't design the MBA for adolescent gangsta wannabes with a sense of entitlement like you. The MBA is for movers and shakers, and for those who can afford to pay any cost for style and/or portability. Just because you can't afford a Porsche, for example, doesn't mean that there isn't a market for the car somewhere else. If you think you have a right to steal someone else's Porsche just because he's rich, then you've got serious social issues.

Look on the bright side: Apple is probably charging a premium for the MBA, and some of this money will go towards more R&D to produce better and cheaper products for the masses. I'm glad that Apple is now secure enough in its financials to be willing to further break out of its ancient 2x2 grid of products. "Luxury" niche products like the MBA show that Apple is strong and getting stronger.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2008, 11:36 AM

What I was HOPING for was an IntelBook that wouldn't melt the family jewels - thanks to less moving parts, better heat dissipation, with the emphasis on ETCETERA.
LAPTOPS THAT LIGHT YOUR CROTCH ON FIRE!

The only cool thing about the Air is that you can fry an egg on it AND use it as a spatula at the same time.
Where are you getting this from? It has a Core 2 Duo, not a G5.
Love you too.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2008, 11:38 AM

I'm sure that after a year, one will be able to pick up a refurb MBA for about $1500. According to the Internet, the PowerBook 12" cost $1799 when it was introduced in 2003. Figure in inflation, and the MBA's starting price is actually lower.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2008, 11:42 AM

Why doesn't it come with an Apple Remote?

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2008, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
How far can one sit from a 13" screen to need a remote? Besides, in most public places, I wouldn't want or be able to set my laptop so far from my person. About the only place where I might need a remote is if I were to hookup my laptop to an HDTV in a hotel room, but even then I would usually go out rather than vegetate in front of the boob tube.

One could always use Salling Clicker, etc. if one needed a remote.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2008, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
How far can one sit from a 13" screen to need a remote? Besides, in most public places, I wouldn't want or be able to set my laptop so far from my person.

One could always use Salling Clicker, etc. if one needed a remote.
When you have it hooked up to your TV or a projector. The MacBook has the same screen size and comes with one.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2008, 11:58 AM

When you have it hooked up to your TV or a projector.
I don't think the MBA was meant to be a primary home computer. For use with a projector, I think it's better to have the computer on the podium, where many of the A/V hookups are; there, if a presentation goes wrong, I would be able to access the computer ASAP.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2008, 12:05 PM

Where are you getting this from? It has a Core 2 Duo, not a G5.
I would not be surprised to hear that the MBA gets indeed very hot after some time of use. My wife has a really big and thick Dell with a single P-M inside at 1.6 GHz, but if the CPU is taxed you can barely tolerate the heat on your lap. The MBA is much thinner and I guess Apple has pushed the thermal margins as much as they can go.

jebjeb
Senior User
Jan 16, 2008, 12:16 PM

I ordered the base model. I have been waiting for a sub-notebook from Apple for ages.

This has all the specs I want. I would prefer a non-glossy screen and I guess a faster HDD would be nice but otherwise, I am stoked. I have required a CD drive probably two or three times in the past year on my MacBook Pro. With the Air, I could just use a colleagues CD drive to copy the files to a USB stick. I have 3 other Mac's at home so I am sorted there.

There is only ever had one USB device plugged into my MacBook Pro at work at any one time. That is generally a USB storage drive. I also have 4 Apple remotes at home so don't need another one.

I connect to my HSDPA phone via bluetooth for web access.

Work has now given me a Panasonic Toughbook CF-W4 sub-notebook which can't do all I need it to do so I still need to carry my Mac. Now I can carry both machines at roughly the same weight as my existing MCP 15.4".

The premium price is worth it to me for the weight and size. The battery life looks superb and I have never had to change a battery in my previous laptops whilst I have owned them.

Someone is bound to work out how to (or offer a service to) change the drive later on. Once SSD's have dropped in price, I think there will be an aftermarket solution to swap them over.

I don't think this is really made for people as their only machine. I see it as a second or even third machine for people when portability is the priority. This is exactly what it is for me.

jebjeb
Senior User
Jan 16, 2008, 12:41 PM

I just got a call from Apple regarding my order. They said that UK orders will be shipping from Ireland on the 1st of February. Hopefully, I will get it the next day.

Woohoo!

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2008, 12:54 PM

When you have it hooked up to your TV or a projector. The MacBook has the same screen size and comes with one.
Oh, one other thing: You can use Apple's BT keyboard and/or mouse for a remote. I love the keyboard, although I get supremely annoyed by the scroll nub on the mouse.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jan 16, 2008, 01:21 PM

I love how people thought the Apple remote was trivial for the MBP especially for when travelling and now people wonder why the MBA doesn't come with it.
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2008, 01:36 PM

Not that it matters, but...

MacBook Air: Not the thinnest notebook ever

The MacBook Air, unfurled today, might be the thinnest notebook on the market today, but it's not the thinnest of all time.

That distinction belongs to the Pedion, an ill-fated notebook developed by Mitsubishi and Hewlett-Packard back in 1997.The Pedion measured 18.4 millimeters thick, which comes out to 0.7244 inch thick. Although the Air gets to 0.16 inch at the thinnest point, the Air is 0.76 inch thick at the beefiest portion, making it minutely thicker. Mitsubishi released the Pedion in early 1998.

However, the Pedion was supposedly a complete POS.

lowbuzz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2008, 07:46 PM

I love the Troll insult - it's been directed at me twice now. Apparently lots of trolls playing the stock market yesterday Maybe Steve should be forced to announce asinine products to stockholders ahead of time so they know when to sell off.

Regarding the target market for Inspector Gadget's MacBook Air - even my metrosexual friends aren't buying into this thing.

Anyway, my apologies for the anger - wasn't aimed at anyone here. I was just really hoping for an update to the MacBook Pro line. So waaaahhhhhh, etc.

I'll stop poor-mouthing what I think is an asinine product and get back to my life.

But as I'd say to any of my metrosexual friends if they were to buy one of those things "Man, THAT is gay." Not as gay as the iPod that went around your neck, but pretty close.

Well actually it's more gay cuz it cost a helluva lot more.

So how many of you that are buying this thing plan to buy a sleeve so you can carry it around in your man purse?

Oh - and I mean "gay" in the sense of Steve Job's mock turtleneck being gay - not a derogatory slur against anyone's sexuality.

If the PC crowd can generate another word that implies that something is hyper-pretentious almost to the point of being flamboyant, I'll use that instead. 'Til then, it's much easier to just say "That thing is freakin' gay."

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
If you still think that all people who love listening to music only do so because they define themselves through the music they hear, I suggest you wait until you're out of middle school and start meeting some slightly more-developed personalities.

Either you have already had plenty of experience using this particular machine, or you need to try a different urologist.

Troll.
( Last edited by lowbuzz; Jan 16, 2008 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Removed Moron Comment - Wasn't Funny)

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2008, 07:49 PM

I love the Troll insult - it's been directed at me twice now. Dunno what a troll is - but I'm guessing it's the opposite of the morons that spend their life on this message board?

Regarding the target market for Inspector Gadget's MacBook Air - even my metrosexual friends aren't buying into this thing.

Anyway, my apologies for the anger - wasn't aimed at anyone here. I was just really hoping for an update to the MacBook Pro line. So waaaahhhhhh, etc.

I'll stop poor-mouthing what I think is an asinine product and get back to my life.

But as I'd say to any of my metrosexual friends if they were to buy one of those things "Man, THAT is gay." Not as gay as the iPod that went around your neck, but pretty close.

So how many of you that are buying this thing plan to buy a sleeve so you can carry it around in your man purse?

Oh - and I mean "gay" in the sense of Steve Job's mock turtleneck being gay - not a derogatory slur against anyone's sexuality.

If the PC crowd can generate another word that implies that something is hyper-pretentious almost to the point of being flamboyant, I'll use that instead. 'Til then, it's much easier to just say "That thing is freakin' gay."
Grow up. Apple doesn't have to cater every product it makes to you and your probably small group of friends.

Sage
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2008, 08:09 PM

The lack of a remote seems a bit strange, since I bet a lot of these are going to be used for PPT/Keynote presentations.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2008, 08:27 PM

I love the Troll insult - it's been directed at me twice now. Apparently lots of trolls playing the stock market yesterday Maybe Steve should be forced to announce asinine products to stockholders ahead of time so they know when to sell off.

Okay, you're not a troll. You type mighty retarded though. Let me give you an example.

Every new sentence is now a new line.

Because I can't possibly type correctly.

I am not an Apple fan boy.

I'm typing this from my PC right now.

I own a PC desktop because I think it runs well and it's cheap.

Your problem is that you fail to realize Apple is not reinventing the computer here, they're entering a market that already exists with something they find better.

So you should be comparing the MacBook Air to existing laptops that are in the same class, you can't seem to wrap your head around this though.

It's one thing to come state a good case as to why you don't like the MacBook Air.

I saw someone say it was because the computer was 13.3 inches and not small like a lot of the competition, and while Apple did this on purpose that might be a valid point.

I've been wanting a computer that fits in my camera bag. MacBook Air doesn't achieve that.

Is my typing annoying yet?

Yours surely was.

Forum Links
Forum Rules