Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Broadband card for iTouch ?

Broadband card for iTouch ?
83caddy16v
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2008, 04:16 PM

It would be interesting if someone offered a broadband card for the Touch.

1) an adapter to connect to the dock that would allow a Sprint or Verizon USB based broadband card to function.
or
2) a nicely integrated unit, like the Nike sensor for the Nano.

3) a new iPod Touch model, sold by carriers with built in broadband, Verizon and Sprint could then sell an internet device and not an iPhone - may seem pointless but some users may still prefer to have a Moto Razor as a small phone and another device built more for PDA, iPod, etc functionality. I know contradicts the purpose of the iPhone but hey its an alternative to AT&T.

Why? Riding the train or in certain areas, WiFi is not always available but having broadband access would still be welcome.

just a thought for an icy Friday afternoon.

Cold Warrior
Feb 22, 2008, 04:36 PM

I was thinking something similar this morning -- thinking it'd be nice if the Touch had bluetooth to tether to a mobile phone in order to access the internet that way.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2008, 06:19 PM

I doubt that would ever happen. If you want a signal where there is no wifi, get the iPhone. Such a device would make the price of the touch more than an iPhone anyway.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2008, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I doubt that would ever happen. If you want a signal where there is no wifi, get the iPhone. Such a device would make the price of the touch more than an iPhone anyway.
Have you seen a Touch?

That thing is so damn thin! über cool.

And I thought the iPhone was thin.

An iPhone with the same profile as the Touch would be sweet. But the electronics won't allow it apparently.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2008, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
Have you seen a Touch?

That thing is so damn thin! über cool.

And I thought the iPhone was thin.

An iPhone with the same profile as the Touch would be sweet. But the electronics won't allow it apparently.
Uh, yeah I own one.

83caddy16v  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2008, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
True - upfront costs would equal an iPhone. The Verizon Wireless USB720 Modem is currently $29.99 with a two year contract.

The idea of a bluetooth tether to an existing phone could be nice.

oh well - maybe when we finally see the G5 Powerbook this could be a reality too.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2008, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by 83caddy16v View Post
True - upfront costs would equal an iPhone. The Verizon Wireless USB720 Modem is currently $29.99 with a two year contract.

The idea of a bluetooth tether to an existing phone could be nice.

oh well - maybe when we finally see the G5 Powerbook this could be a reality too.
Ha ha. I think those are great ideas, but I just couldn't see Apple doing it at least. It would probably sway people towards the iPod touch. Remember, one of Apple's main goals with the iPhone is to have a 10% market share of the cell phone industry.

Visnaut
Senior User
Feb 23, 2008, 09:04 PM

A deal for 3G broadband on the 2nd-gen iPod touch, similar to the one that Amazon pulled off with for the Kindle, would be pretty awesome. The only issue is that such a deal would be more expensive for Apple, since Kindle is a low-bandwidth device. While you can measure the amount of data a Kindle downloads per month on average to be several megs, the iPhone and iTouch can consume gigs.

Remember, Apple doesn't seem to be worried about its own products cannibalizing each other; Steve Jobs has gone on the record saying as much. And the original poster has proved that the devices don't actually compete. They just fulfill the needs of different market segments.

Forum Links
Forum Rules