Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Sick B@st@rd.

Sick B@st@rd. (Page 2)
Mithras
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2008, 11:16 AM

Yes, I understand it was an early symbol of the Women's Suffrage movement for women to gather together and throw puppies off of cliffs, in defiance of the mores of the day (which dictated that only men could kill puppies).

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 6, 2008, 11:19 AM

^ Excellent use of the word ‘mores’.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2008, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
Yes, I understand it was an early symbol of the Women's Suffrage movement for women to gather together and throw puppies off of cliffs, in defiance of the mores of the day (which dictated that only men could kill puppies).
It's no coincidence that Women's puppy throwing attire showed a lot of leg and arm. Frederick's of Hollywood got their start selling Puppy Throwing Bodices.

(op)
Mar 6, 2008, 11:31 AM

I think you missed my sarcasm Doofy.

I agree with you, BTW.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2008, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Unlike people getting blown up, the puppy doesn't have the cognitive ability to recognize it's in a bad situation and leave.
In today's warfare, very often neither have people. This is true regardless of whether you're about to get flattened by a smart bomb or a suicide bomber.

But your point is well taken, there probably (hopefully) would have been similar, of not bigger outrage, had it been a human being.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2008, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
In today's warfare, very often neither have people. This is true regardless of whether you're about to get flattened by a smart bomb or a suicide bomber.
I would have interpreted my statement the same way, but I was more referring to moving away from a war zone.

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
But your point is well taken, thereprobably (hopefully) would have been similar, of not bigger outrage, had it been a human being.
Thanks.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2008, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by  View Post
I think you missed my sarcasm Doofy.

I agree with you, BTW.
Nope, caught the sarcasm. And I was agreeing with you 100%.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Tiresias
Mar 6, 2008, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by invisibleX View Post
Puppies, particularly when picked up by the neck, are not inanimate.
Wrong. Puppies and kittens are reflexively prone when being carrying by their mothers.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 6, 2008, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Wrong. Puppies and kittens are reflexively prone when being carrying by their mothers.
I said that already.

Apemanblues
Mar 6, 2008, 12:04 PM

The proper course of action with captured insurgent puppies would be a little water boarding.

Tiresias
Mar 6, 2008, 12:05 PM

Sorry. Didn't see.

Clearly invisibleX has an excellent imagination for facts.

But as to the puppy hurler—it's honestly very troubling to think such people are loose in Iraq with machine guns.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2008, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
His very own MySpace page wasn't a trusted source? He made several comments on it as he received threats from everywhere.
Have we confirmed that he actually made the Myspace? It wouldn't be the first, or even the hundredth, fake one I've seen. (For for completeness, it's worth pointing out that I haven't actually seen the Myspace and don't really have time to hunt around for it. I've just seen false rumors started by false Myspaces before — based on real pictures, too.)
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2008, 12:35 PM

^^ I was going to say the same thing.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2008, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
I know, but it did look rather inanimate and lifeless. I'd make a screenshot but I honestly don't care: when he drew back to throw it appeared to be fake (several people said this as well. was I wrong? appears so, people tend to find evidence to support their beliefs.. )

But this really isn't particularly significant. A soldier acting aggressive? Oh dear. Sending someone into an inherently violent situation makes them more aggressive. Whodathunkit. At least he wasn't raping anyone.

This does bring up a question: what kind of psychotherapy is available to soldiers? Is it encouraged? Required? Do they go through psychiatric evaluations when they come home?
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2008, 04:08 PM

Would this soldier have treated a puppy like htis back home. Probably not. Given the almost unbelievable levels of stress suffered by soldiers in Iraq I would imagine some pretty macabre stuff goes on all the time. It's a totally understandable way of dealing with having to confront death every day.

Not to say punishment isn't due in some form but I can't see it being right to view this act from a normal perspective.

All sorts of bad **** happens in war. To people and animals. We get angry about a puppy not because we don't care about people but because we do care but are relatively powerless (or feel powerless) to alter the situation and/or feel uncomfortable about having soldiers in the position that they are so we displace our feelings onto the puppy.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2008, 05:29 PM

Lacking a proper costume, IMO.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2008, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
You know, I was fine with the rest of your post, but how does this part not make you come off as a self-righteous asshole yourself?
What can I say, I was inspired.

Sometimes these threads bring out the negativity in me.

And I take it back, he shouldn't be punished.

As far as I'm concerned if a man volunteers to put his life on the line in a war then he should get a free pass for killing a few puppies.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2008, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
What can I say, I was inspired.

Sometimes these threads bring out the negativity in me.
Or hypocrisy, as it were.

And I take it back, he shouldn't be punished.

As far as I'm concerned if a man volunteers to put his life on the line in a war then he should get a free pass for killing a few puppies.
Aren't we cleverly blithe.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 6, 2008, 08:04 PM

Not at all. If tens of thousands of others can volunteer to put their own lives on the line and NOT torture and kill puppies, there's no reason to think that this is acceptable for this guy. Having volunteered to put my own life on the line for my country, I can tell you that there are standards of conduct that are not violable. If you step over that line, you are subject to punishment-often pretty harsh punishment. The Marines are particularly sensitive about their image, and bringing discredit to the Corps is a Bad Thing® on a lot of levels.

With all that said, it's important to note that most of our people over there are there to do their job and come home, not to torture anyone or anything. There's a very nice little book called "From Baghdad With Love", about a Marine who adopted a puppy while in Iraq and jumped through a bunch of hoops to be able to bring the little guy home.

Let's just say that Kopleman's tour was no walk in a nice, shady park, and he and his unit managed to NOT kill any puppies...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2008, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Have we confirmed that he actually made the Myspace? It wouldn't be the first, or even the hundredth, fake one I've seen. (For for completeness, it's worth pointing out that I haven't actually seen the Myspace and don't really have time to hunt around for it. I've just seen false rumors started by false Myspaces before — based on real pictures, too.)
Well, there's skepticism and there's skepticism. This was obviously NOT a fake one as it was well established way before this was leaked on to the net.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2008, 08:09 PM

. As far as I'm concerned if a man volunteers to put his life on the line in a war then he should get a free pass for killing a few puppies.
I sincerely hope you're kidding.

(op)
Mar 6, 2008, 08:20 PM

smacintush, don't know what to think about you after that comment.

ghporter, I'm going to read that book. Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules