Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Anyone using Quickbooks 2009 yet?

Anyone using Quickbooks 2009 yet?
shinji
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2008, 02:13 PM

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2008, 04:20 PM

I think I'm switching to MYOB.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

shinji  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2008, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I think I'm switching to MYOB.
Any reason why? I found the MYOB interface a bit strange, but then I've never used any mac version of Quickbooks.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2008, 06:01 PM

More feature complete and cheaper. I've heard the interface is more complicated, but I'm willing to try it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2008, 01:20 PM

MYOB works very very well. I used it for years. I only switched to QB on Windows because frankly I needed something where I didn't have to think accountant

mkral
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2008, 06:58 PM

I'd hold off on buying any biz accounting software until QB 09 comes out. From what I've read, it's supposed to be much more mac-like than previous versions & Use a lot of the OS X features. MYOB might still be a better fit for you, but with a large change coming through in a few days, I'd at least wait for the first few reviews to come out before I bought either one.

shinji  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2008, 07:02 PM

mkral
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2008, 08:23 PM

yes, I think it is out. I meant to write wait until the first few reviews come out.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2008, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by mkral View Post
I'd hold off on buying any biz accounting software until QB 09 comes out. From what I've read, it's supposed to be much more mac-like than previous versions & Use a lot of the OS X features. MYOB might still be a better fit for you, but with a large change coming through in a few days, I'd at least wait for the first few reviews to come out before I bought either one.
No payroll and no bill pay == no sale for me. I wish

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2008, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by alex_kac View Post
MYOB works very very well. I used it for years. I only switched to QB on Windows because frankly I needed something where I didn't have to think accountant
So is MYOB really that much harder to use? I don't know if I'm ready to think like an account yet.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 10, 2008, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
So is MYOB really that much harder to use? I don't know if I'm ready to think like an account yet.
No its not hard to use. But you have to know the basics of accounting. Same thing with QuickBooks really, but QB goes a bit farther than MYOB did. And in my case I needed Payroll and online bill payment.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2008, 02:08 AM

One thing I didn't like about QBs was that when I would file something under an asset under one classification that made sense and put it as a liability under the other category, it would cause my balance to go the wrong way. Like if I had income from one source and put that as an asset under my bank account, it would actually show up as a negative and subtract from my bank account balance. I would have to swap it so that it would show up as a liability under my bank ledger for my bank account total to show properly. Now it has been a while since I learned the basics of double-entry book keeping. What was I doing wrong?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2008, 10:37 PM

Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

zl9600
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2008, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by alex_kac View Post
No payroll and no bill pay == no sale for me. I wish
I'd not be so quick to run to MYOB, their bill pay is EXPENSIVE and looks cumbersome. QB 2009 DOES seem to offer payroll service. Both (windows or mac) cost extra. But that's the same on Studiometry, MYOB, etc.

I have been waiting for a review; I do not want to use Bootcamp or VMFusion to use QB on windows as I need time tracking and billing and don't need a machine cramped by Vista running in the background.

I'm open to QB 2009. I am not an Intuit fan, but I could live with it if it lives up to some hype.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are
missing.

zl9600
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2008, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
This doesn't link to anything but an empty cart. The one link I found for a demo goes nowhere also. The forum for QB mac on the QB website has a lot of defensive people there saying that they are so so busy updating their site (you know, it's really HARD to remove a bad link /sarcasm).
missing.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2008, 02:19 AM

zl9600
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2008, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Awesome, that worked. Thanks for re-posting. I'm psyched I can try these out side by side, although I'll admit after I went through the Win vs. Mac list of what's missing, the lack of analysis tools and the inability to export to TurboTax is a huge red flag, meaning I probably won't get any closer to being able to share my data with my accountant who is on Windows QB.
missing.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2008, 11:53 AM

I found the demo pretty easily by going to the Intuit QB website. Extensive IMO well done QB Mac 2009 tutorials are readily available from http://quickbooks.intuit.com/ then click on Quickbooks for Mac, learn more then click on See it in Action.

-Allen Wicks

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2008, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by zl9600 View Post
I'd not be so quick to run to MYOB, their bill pay is EXPENSIVE and looks cumbersome. QB 2009 DOES seem to offer payroll service. Both (windows or mac) cost extra. But that's the same on Studiometry, MYOB, etc.
I'm not running to MYOB. I used MYOB for 4 years earlier. It does a good job of payroll, but nothing integrated. I have been using QB on Windows for the last 3 years and while its on Windows it does what I need which neither MYOB nor QB on Mac do right now. And yes, I pay the yearly service and upgrade fees so I know all about it.
I have been waiting for a review; I do not want to use Bootcamp or VMFusion to use QB on windows as I need time tracking and billing and don't need a machine cramped by Vista running in the background.

I'm open to QB 2009. I am not an Intuit fan, but I could live with it if it lives up to some hype.
I wish QB 2009 offered payroll submissions with EFTPS like QB for Windows does. Its invaluable. And sure, one can always do everything by hand - but I have my experience in that and its cheaper to pay for it.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2008, 02:43 AM

Hmm... can't import items like the Windows version. So if you create Purchase Orders, you'll have to manually enter all the products in.

Forum Links
Forum Rules