Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook Instead of iMac?

iBook Instead of iMac?
aapl4ever
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2002, 03:58 PM

Yes, I went out yesterday and bought the current issue of Time magazine to read about the new iMac. I haven't finished reading the article, but the new iMac is, as always, a very cool-looking machine. To a certain degree, I want one, but today, I'm thinking TiBook. Why? In the roughly two years that have passed since buying my Kihei iMac DV SE/400 (top-of-the-line iMac back then), I've had to have the Analog Video Board replaced (around September of 2001, three months after I had brought it in to the Apple-authorized repair/service place), and now, as of 01/08/02 when sound output just *stopped* and I called AppleCare, I'm told I probably need to have the *logic board* replaced!

First, an anyone point me to a website that has a graphic of the insides of the Kihei (I know that's off-topic here, but I'd appreciate it.) so that I can see what else is in there that's likely to need replacing soon, given my iMac's track record?

Lastly, and back on-topic, my concern about getting an iBook can be summed up in one word: heat. Will O be asking for trouble if I got an iBook, used it as my combination laptop/desktop Mac, and just left it on?

iBook experiences, negative as well as positive, would be apreciated.

Many thanks.

<free lunch>
Jan 9, 2002, 05:03 PM

two Airport-equipped ibooks in the family. an SE (320MB) and a dual USB (384MB), both running most of the day, although they both get to go to sleep if nothing's going on for a while.

Haven't restarted or shut down either one for the last few days.
Running 9.2.2 without a hitch.
Also used X on the dual USB for days and days without restarting or shutting down.
Currently, most of the activity consists of email, web, itunes, some photoshop, w-p and printing.
Both are used in "desktop" mode as a small footprint-replacement for an imac. Seems to work pretty well so far.

Heat:
Dual USB gets warm/hot (not as warm as TiBook, though) but this hasn't harmed it yet. I have both iBooks sitting on wood surfaces which generally do not carry heat away as well as glass or metal would. This seems to have caused no problems so far (in about 3 months). Thinking of getting this, which also adds a much needed handle to the dual USB.

I like being able to take the package with me if I have to or sit in the living room instead of the office when I want to without having to transfer files etc.

Peace, Dre

Ibson
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2002, 09:33 PM

Although the my iBook (600) does get hot while I'm using it, if you set the hard drive to spin down after five minutes, the heat almost disappears and the iBook becomes silent. I love the portability it gives me (great for doing reports..um...watching DVDs on long flights). If you want to do serious video editing, graphics work, or gaming, I'd get the iMac. However, I use my iBook for running Photoshop and Illustrator all the time, and I find it adequate--I use my G4 tower for serious work. It's a matter of portability versus speed: if you have no need for a portable, get an iMac, otherwise, I'm sure you'll be happy with an iBook.

aapl4ever  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2002, 12:40 AM

Thanks, to both of you. I don't own Photoshop, and I guess you could call me a 'typical home Mac user,' but I also like the idea that, if I wanted, I could take my Mac with me. All signs point to a TiBook...if I could just get over my hang-up about it over-heating...

Of course, the bottom-line fact of the matter is that I'm not yet in the market for a new Mac...and I hope my iMac will still be use-able until then.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2002, 01:08 PM

The iBook WILL get warm. It's not from being on though, but from being used. I installed Red Faction on mine (a huge install) and the left palm rest was very warm when I was done.

However, a TiBook doesn't get warm, it gets HOT. You can't use one on your lap. It will burn your thigh. My TiBook-owning friends and I suspect it is just that the metal case acts as a big heat sink. All of them have those CoolPads so they can use them on the road. The iBook doesn't require one of those.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

aapl4ever  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2002, 05:07 PM

Speaking of TiBooks, Arkham (which I thought I was doing but might not have been very clear), I notice when I go to Apple's website & read the specs, Titanium isn't mentioned anywhere. Instead, whay I'm reading says the case is some kind of poly-carbonate case. Am I looking at the wrong spec sheet?

aapl4ever  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2002, 05:36 PM

Speaking of TiBooks, Arkham (which I thought I was doing but might not have been very clear), I notice when I go to Apple's website & read the specs, Titanium isn't mentioned anywhere. Instead, whay I'm reading says the case is some kind of poly-carbonate case. Am I looking at the wrong spec sheet?

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2002, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by aapl4ever:
<STRONG>Speaking of TiBooks, Arkham (which I thought I was doing but might not have been very clear), I notice when I go to Apple's website & read the specs, Titanium isn't mentioned anywhere. Instead, whay I'm reading says the case is some kind of poly-carbonate case. Am I looking at the wrong spec sheet?</STRONG>
It's a CP1 Titanium case, there is poly-carbonate in there as well, forgot where..

MrBenn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2002, 06:19 PM

A TiBook will burn your thighs??? You're kidding right? Do all you TiBook owners find this?
Row, row, row your boat,
Gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream.

aapl4ever  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2002, 07:10 PM

Oops...sorry about the double-post, folks.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2002, 11:00 AM

Quotes from here:

The PowerBook G4 is encased in titanium, the exceptionally strong and exceptionally light metal used to manufacture supersonic aircraft engines.
and

The new Titanium PowerBook G4 has all the subtle refinements and esthetic touches that made it the most coveted full-featured notebook computer on the planet: ... and pure-grade titanium body.
So, the TiBook is Titanium. The references to the polycarbonate are probaly for the iBook. The outside case is clear polycarbonate plastic with the inside painted white. The inside is also plastic, but has a silver finish that resembles that of the TiBook.

A quote from here:

Space-age materials
True to its heritage, the iBook was designed with ruggedness in mind. That�s why it�s made of ultratough polycarbonate � the same material used in bulletproof glass � and has an internal magnesium frame for added strength. The hard drive is rubber-mounted for impact resistance. And there are no doors, protruding latches, or levers to break or get snagged.

aapl4ever  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2002, 11:18 AM

Arkham, is there a link for the TiBooks, seperate from the 'regular' iBooks? The first and second quotes you cite refer to the Powerbook G4.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2002, 01:18 PM

A TiBook will burn your thighs??? You're kidding right? Do all you TiBook owners find this?
Oh, yes. OW OW OW!

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2002, 04:45 PM

<STRONG>Arkham, is there a link for the TiBooks, seperate from the 'regular' iBooks? The first and second quotes you cite refer to the Powerbook G4.</STRONG>
The term "TiBook" is short for "Titanium Powerbook G4". There is no Titanium iBook.

aapl4ever  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2002, 05:11 PM

In that case, Arkham, the thigh-burning problem should be a non-issue for me, since I can't afford a Powerbook.

Thanks for the clarification.

aapl4ever  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2002, 05:25 PM

Minor segue:

I recently (within the past year) bought a computer desk/corner wall unit. My Kihei iMac sits on a built-in shelf, with the screen right at eye-level. When the day comes (and I have no idea when that'll be) that I replace my iMac, if the new Mac's an iBook, it will (necessarily) be sitting on the main desktop itself. Maybe I'll use the higher shelf for my printer.

Now, returning to the iBook, one of the more-interesting things I'll have to adjust to is the trackpad in place of my familiar mouse.

<gamer>
Jan 11, 2002, 05:30 PM

hey man,

just wondering...how does red faction look/work on your ibook (which one do you have?). what other games do you run on it, how do they work, speed, etc?

thanks,

m

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
<STRONG>The iBook WILL get warm. It's not from being on though, but from being used. I installed Red Faction on mine (a huge install) and the left palm rest was very warm when I was done.

However, a TiBook doesn't get warm, it gets HOT. You can't use one on your lap. It will burn your thigh. My TiBook-owning friends and I suspect it is just that the metal case acts as a big heat sink. All of them have those CoolPads so they can use them on the road. The iBook doesn't require one of those.</STRONG>

<free lunch>
Jan 12, 2002, 05:33 AM

<STRONG>Now, returning to the iBook, one of the more-interesting things I'll have to adjust to is the trackpad in place of my familiar mouse.</STRONG>
If you're going to use the iBook as a desktop replacement, I'd recommend getting a mouse.
I have a Logitech Wheel Mouse which works superbly in OS 9 and X (the software for OS 9 is excellent, none needed for X).
They come in various flavors (ball, optical, dual optical, buttons, buttons and more buttons).
I found that a two-button wheel mouse is nice in OS 9 and close to necessary in X.

aapl4ever  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2002, 10:55 AM

Thx, Free lunch. I wasn't even aware there was a port/plug to connect a mouse to an iBook. Will my iMac hockey puck work?

JeffZPgh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2002, 06:05 PM

Unless speed is a necessity (like it might be for movie editing and high-end graphics work), I really see little reason to prefer a new iMac to an iBook, unless you want to be chained down to a desk.

I've been using my iBook 500 as a replacement for my old iMac since August. When it's home, it's on my desk and open, and I spend a good many hours per day sitting in front of it. It goes with me to the office (though I'm stuck using a PC for work, the iBook makes a great if not overpriced mp3 player). In general I'd say it gets more of a workout than a desktop would; becaue it's mobile, I use it in circumstances where I would have gone without any computer. And at my desk, I don't use any peripherals like an external mouse - I'd hardly call doing so necessary.

No heat issues, and uptimes measured in weeks under OS X, not days. It generally gets rebooted only when a software update that requires a reboot comes out; otherwise it sleeps.

If you're a "typical home user", I'd strongly consider the iBook over a Titanium PowerBook for cost reasons alone. It doesn't sound like you need anything the TiBook is offering.

Jeff

aapl4ever  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2002, 06:59 PM

Thanks, Jeff.

Now, to lust after an iBook until I can get back into the market & buy one. By then, who knows what it'll be capable of...or even *look like*!
At least there are plenty of iBook-related websites out there to feed my craving.

Ibson
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2002, 02:26 AM

<STRONG>Thx, Free lunch. I wasn't even aware there was a port/plug to connect a mouse to an iBook. Will my iMac hockey puck work?</STRONG>
Mice just plug into one of the USB ports on your iBook, as do keyboards. Your hockey puck will, strictly speaking, work. It won't be much use, however, if you're not a leftie, because the cord isn't long enough to go from the left side of the iBook to the right. I would also recommend a Logitech mouse, but not a Microsoft mouse for an iBook. I use a MS mouse on my G4, but find it is too high to use with my iBook.

aapl4ever  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2002, 11:08 AM

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Ibson:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mice just plug into one of the USB ports on your iBook, as do keyboards. Your hockey puck will, strictly speaking, work. It won't be much use, however, if you're not a leftie, because the cord isn't long enough to go from the left side of the iBook to the right. I would also recommend a Logitech mouse, but not a Microsoft mouse for an iBook. I use a MS mouse on my G4, but find it is too high to use with my iBook.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm...the USB port(s) is/are on the left end of the iBook? Damn. I'm a righty. Looks like I'll just use the trackpad and learn to like it. Life isn't perfect.

Ibson
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2002, 11:16 PM

<STRONG>quote:
Hmmm...the USB port(s) is/are on the left end of the iBook? Damn. I'm a righty. Looks like I'll just use the trackpad and learn to like it. Life isn't perfect.</STRONG>
Yes, the two USB ports are on the left side of the iBook. A hockey mouse mouse will be too short to use, but for the sake of $20 or so, buy a decent Logitech mouse and use it on your iBook--I do, and I love it. Its cord is long enough to reach to the right side, and I'm sure just about every other mouses' cord will be too. So, no need to live with the trackpad!

Forum Links
Forum Rules