Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Never Again

Never Again
parsley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2011, 06:12 AM

With Great Routers Comes Great Responsibility

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2011, 06:13 AM

Never Again!

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2011, 06:24 AM

Never again.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2011, 05:09 PM

Never again!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2011, 07:12 PM

I don't think the holocaust was cool, at all.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 27, 2011, 08:03 PM

What's worse than finding a worm in your apple?

The Holocaust.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2011, 10:59 PM

What's worse than genital herpes?

The Holocaust.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2011, 11:02 PM

Oh and by the way... The song Never Again by Disturbed is actually about the Holocaust...

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2011, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
Oh and by the way... The song Never Again by Disturbed is actually about the Holocaust...

So is this song by Say Anything and its way catchier.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 28, 2011, 07:44 AM

I find it curious that many of the same people who were instrumental in the actual physical liberation of the death camps were still able to remain quite racist when they came back home. Not just against blacks, but against people of other nationalities and religions. I guess their social conditioning was really strong, though many were able to overcome it.

On this day after the international day of remembrance, I think we should all try to think about HOW we can make sure "never again" is a reality.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2011, 07:56 AM

Never Again is a meaningless platitude. There are still many theatres of genocide in the world but no one gives a crap.

Over and Over Again! At least that would be honest.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 28, 2011, 08:01 AM

Never again is an ideal. And as I said, we should all work on ways to make sure this ideal becomes reality.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 28, 2011, 01:19 PM

I'm doing my part by enjoying all of the many freedoms we enjoy in America.

andi*pandi
Jan 28, 2011, 02:10 PM

I simply don't understand those who say the Holocaust never happened.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2011, 07:04 PM

Holocaust denial started up among Neo-Nazi groups in the late 1970s and 1980s (at least in America) when the vividness of the Holocaust started to recede in the collective memory of the public. There are organizations like the so-called "Institute for Historical Review" (a Neo-Nazi front group) that are dedicated to pseudo-scholarly Holocaust denial.

Why is it done? There is a lot of truth in the theory that when a big lie starts being told, it will appear preposterous to nearly all people in the beginning, but as time goes on a certain segment of people will start to believe it simply because it has been said in the past and because it feeds into their pre-existing hateful proclivities. Holocaust denial is endemic to the Middle East.

On a different point, I wanted to clarify what "Never Again" means to me when I as a religious Jew use it as a slogan. It doesn't mean that another Holocaust couldn't happen - because it certainly could. (Indeed I believe the Holocaust was part of the divine plan.) What it means to me is, I won't be silent and passive if one starts occurring and will instead fight back to the best of my ability. The mainstream of Jewish thought in WWII was that by being silent and not provoking the enemy, the evil force would relent in its persecution or move on to other targets. That strategy proved to be very deadly, with millions going submissively, silently to their deaths "like sheep to the slaughter." In contrast, those who chose to buck the trend and fight back instead were often very successful.

My apologies if this post causes the thread to go the way of the PWL.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jan 28, 2011 at 07:20 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 29, 2011, 11:05 AM

My father-in-law was among the Americans who liberated Wöbbelin. Of all his experiences in the war, that was the one he had the most difficulty processing. Speaking with him about that was the only time I ever saw the Old Man cry...

Deniers simply don't have a leg to stand on. It happened. A LOT of people went along with it. And a lot of people who should have done something about it-early-did not. It's OK to feel guilty that your family didn't do more then, that your government then merely stood by, or that your whole city cooperated then. That guilt helps prevent recurrences of such horrors. Neos want to use the "Holocaust was a fraud" argument to show how abused they are. Funny how emo they can be, down deep.

Big Mac, I find your statement about the Holocaust being part of the Divine Plan interesting. Nobody likes to discuss those horrors, but from a theological point of view, your statement makes a lot of sense.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2011, 11:39 AM

The Divine Plan? That's a nice way to blame God when humans are acting like a-holes.

YouTube: God on Trial. "God is NOT good."
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; Jan 29, 2011 at 12:38 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules