Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Google I/O: Google Photos available now on Android, iOS [u]

Google I/O: Google Photos available now on Android, iOS [u]
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
May 28, 2015, 02:05 PM

[Updated with iOS version availability] At today's Google I/O keynote, the search giant unveiled Google Photos. The new service by the company allows web-based users, as well as Android and iOS device owners, a file repository and discovery utility for unlimited photos up to 16MP, and 1080p videos, for free. Included in the service is automatic video tagging, advanced search, privacy measures for shared pictures, and album creation.

Google Photos is a discrete offering, extracted from Google+. It implements auto-tagging with Google's image recognition tagging, and will make collections of frequent photo targets. Selecting a photo subject's face will bring up a collection of other photos featuring that individual.

The new service integrates with Twitter, and Facebook, in addition to Google+. Users can remove metadata before sharing photos, for a layer of privacy, if desired. Google is compressing photos, but calls the compression used "near identical" and "print quality." The service across all named platforms launches later today.

Update: The iOS version has been spotted on the iOS app store. The app is universal, and 53MB in size. The Android version is also now available on Google Play.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jun 1, 2015 at 03:12 AM. )

OldMacGeek
Forum Regular
May 28, 2015, 05:57 PM

Hmmm, I've seen that way of organizing photos somewhere. I just can't put my finger on it . . .

JohnFromBeyond
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2015, 06:29 PM

I hear it uses Nucleus compression technology. Wait for the Pied Piper version.

Forum Links
Forum Rules