Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > AppleVision 1710 Oddities

AppleVision 1710 Oddities
infiniti
Mar 3, 2002, 04:24 PM

Hey there, everyone.

I've got an AppleVision 1710 monitor and have not had any major problems with it, excluding several of bad solder joints which have been repaired. Recently, however, it's been acting a little weirdly. It seems to have stopped identifying itself as an 1710, preventing me from calibrating it or tweaking the image in the Monitors control panel. I've tried zapping the PRAM and deleting the Display Preferences, with no luck, so I"m beginning to wonder if this is ADB-related. I have not tried re-installing yet, and would like to avoid that, if at all possible. If anyone's got some suggestions that might help, that would be great, as I'd like to keep using this montor for as long as possible.
Here's my basic hardware config, if it helps:
Performa 6400/200 running Mac OS 9.1
ATI XClaim VR 128 Video Card driving the AppleVision 1710 Monitor

Also, this same monitor seems to be slightly out of focus, and I was wondering what would be needed to correct this. I was thinking it would probably involve opening the monitor and adjusting a pot, but I'd like to know for sure.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Cheers,
Steve
12" iBook 900

BillyB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2002, 04:42 PM

I remember reading that if you update your OS, then you have to re-install the AppleVision Software again. The latest version can be obtained here... AppleVision 1710 Software vers. 1.6.1
--"When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete."

<TriPhaze>
Mar 6, 2002, 06:42 PM

The user is running OS 9.1, which includes all the necessary software to use the monitor. Nothing else needs to be installed!

As for the fuzziness, ditch the 1710 and get a new monitor. I loved my 1710, but I had to stop using it because it got so bad. I now have a new Sony 17" and I love it.

infiniti  (op)
Mar 7, 2002, 07:52 PM

Thanks for all the advice, guys...

The 6400 is not my main machine, so it's not a huge deal to me. I've recently purchased a 19" Sony for my main macine, and it's absolutely amazing.

I might try reinstalling the software, but I guess there's not much else I can do...

Thanks again,
Steve
12" iBook 900

petoria
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2002, 01:33 AM

Here is the service manual for the 1710. It's a pfd. Try looking through it. There are instructions on focusing the monitor in the troubleshooting/symptom charts bookmarks. If you want the Display Adjustment Utility, you can get it here.
I know a guy from nantucket, and well lets just say the stories about him are greatly exaggerated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules