Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > How do I disassemble an iMac DV/SE

How do I disassemble an iMac DV/SE
jean-henri
Feb 5, 2002, 05:59 AM

I have only managed to remove the bottom cover and EMI shield of my iMac, but I need to dismantle both the graphite coloured and striped upper front cover as well. Is there an instruction of how to do that somewhere (in a former thread someone mentions a certain pdf document)? - or can someone please instruct me in the right direction.
Thanks
-jh

tr
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2002, 12:57 PM

from the apple imac service source:

front outer bezel
1. with a jeweler's screwdriver, carefully remove the two tabs on the front outer bezel (the two tabs are on either side of the cd slot)
2. after removing the tabs, remove the screws located under the tabs
note: the bezel tabs fit tightly into the rear housing. a good, hard pull upward is required to release all the tabs.
3. insert a plastic tool underneath the bezel.
4. pry the outer bezel tabs from the rear housing with a plastic tool. as you push and pry the tool inside the bezel, the side tabs will start to release.
5. insert the tool on the left side of the bezel and repeat.
6. as the tabs start to release, pull hard on the fron outer bezel to release the tabs completely.

top rear housing
note: must removie bottom housing and front outer bezel first
1. remove the two tabs (screw caps) on the top inner bezel.
2. pry the tabs off, and remove the two screws under each tab.
3. position the computer face down.
4. remvoe four screws and loosen the fixed screw (at the top) on the rear housing.
5. position the computer right side up. push down and pull out on the rear housing to unhook the rear housing tabs that connect to the inner bezel.
6. lift the top rear housing off the computer.

hope this helps

tr

jean-henri  (op)
Feb 5, 2002, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by tr:
<STRONG>hope this helps

tr</STRONG>
Yes, it certainly did mark out the direction to go. I have to wait until friday to carry it out. Hopefully then my next post here will not be something like: "Which kind of superglue... etc?"
Thanks alot.

[ 02-05-2002: Message edited by: jean-henri ]
-jh

petoria
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2002, 11:58 PM

You can find the Apple tech manual in pdf fromat here. It has all the steps to take for complete dissambly, it even includes diagrams.[/LIST]
I know a guy from nantucket, and well lets just say the stories about him are greatly exaggerated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules