Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Ok: Lert'see how many we are

Ok: Lert'see how many we are
man0
Jan 5, 2002, 06:05 AM

I see there are really few people posting here.
So i think let's start count ourselves and let's tell which distribution(s) we use on what machines and so on.

I start )

I use a yellowdog 2.1 on a 867 Mhz G4, debian 2.2r4 on a 266 Mhz G3 and Debian 2.2r2 68k on an old lc 475
------>man0

tullamore
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2002, 06:15 AM

I use BeOS on a PM 8500 does that count as a Linux distro?

bluedog
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2002, 10:20 AM

This forum has become anything NOT MacOS, basically a UNIX forum for Macintosh.

Currently Running-
--------------------------
<font color = green> MKLinux-aka RedHat5 on a PPC7100</font>, this is a lightweight webserver. (Only minimal services enabled)

OSX on a 7300/G3upgrade450mHz
--------------------------

I have a few other machines I want to run on, but haven't gotten installed yet.

NOT YET INSTALLED-
<font color = red>-FreeBSD on a Quadra605</font> (anyone with any experience? 68k)

<font color = red>-a second 7100 wishing YellowDog</font> (doesn't an older YellowDog-1.2?-run on these witha modified kernel?),

-and a PC or two (like to try <font color = red>Mandrake and FreeBSD</font>)

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: bluedog ]

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: bluedog ]

smic
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2002, 03:34 PM

i had a powercurve that i was running BeOs on
now i have a 266mhz imac with osx, os9, and partitoned for linux, so far i installed yellowdog 2.1, mandrake 7or8(wouldnt boot into it), and debian2.2r4(wouldnt boot into either)
a 486 with openbsd 2.6
se/30 that i want to install debian or netbsd on, but havent gotten around to it
and an lc475 with a dead harddrive and a network card that the macos would refuse to use, but it worked at my friends house???

anyone else use debian on a floppyless mac, cause i cant get it to boot on my imac, did all the stuff it says on the readme/website, and still wont boot into it

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: smic ]
w3rd..
surrey represent

Calli46
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2002, 10:03 PM

Will soon be using Mandrake 8.0 PPC on a G4/MP 500.
X0X0X from Calli
--------------------------------
1800 DP/1024MB/180GB

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2002, 11:25 PM

Run Debian Linux Potato 2.2 on a Graphite iMac.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

v0id7
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2002, 08:52 AM

I'll be running Mandrake as soon as it supports the G-Force2
_______void_______

smic
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2002, 12:22 AM

how did you get debian to boot, i cant for the life of me get it to boot into debian
w3rd..
surrey represent

vsurfer
Senior User
Jan 10, 2002, 12:38 AM

In process of installing SuSE 7.1 on a G3 400 iMac DV with 320 MB

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2002, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by smic:
<STRONG>how did you get debian to boot, i cant for the life of me get it to boot into debian</STRONG>
You have a newer computer. I originally got Debian for my Cube, and no matter how hard I tried, it simply would not boot. I had to install it on a previous-generation iMac. However, a new version of Potato came out, and I'm not sure how it will work on today's new-generation machines.
Go Dogcows!

utidjian
Senior User
Jan 11, 2002, 02:50 AM

MDK 8.0 PPC on an iMac-DV (grape) dual boot with MacOS 9.1

SuSE 7.0 PPC on an iMac-DV (lime) dual boot with MocOS 9.1

SuSE 7.0 PPC on a G3 (beige box)

x86 based Linux on 2 servers supporting approx 100 Macs of various flavors with file, print and authentication services.
-DU-...etc...

jaisun
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2002, 03:58 AM

2 part post:

1. Currently running SuSE 7.3 (kde2 is tight!) and OS X.1 on:
Yose 400 @ 450 / 1Gb RAM / 12Gb (5 parts: 3 for SuSE, 1 for 9.2, 1 for X) / 80Gb (storage) / Rage 128 / xClaim VR / DVD / custom enclosure w/ample cooling

2. I'm not getting a boot list on restart or cold boot...the only way I can get to 9 or X is to boot up off a system disc, select a new startup drive and restart...kind of a pain in the arse. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance
- Design: QS G4 933 / GF4MX / R7k / 1GB / 160GB RAID / 60GB boot / Jaguar

- Games: Abit KD7-RAID / XP 2200+ / Ti4200 / 512MB GeIL PC3200 / 40GB / XP pro

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2002, 05:24 PM

where (besides online and paying) can i get SuSE? I always wanted to run that but didn't want to pay if I could d/l it! thanks!

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2002, 12:51 PM

I used to use YDL2.1 and MDK8 on my PowerMac G4/400, but I then realized that I was more productive with Mac OS X.

I didn't know that FreeBSD could be run on m68k/PPC though.

A question I'd like to ask is: what do you do with Linux under Mac? And how do you "live" with it? I had a hard time with both, but have had no problems with using Linux on the PC at all.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2002, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by KaptainKaya:
<STRONG>where (besides online and paying) can i get SuSE? I always wanted to run that but didn't want to pay if I could d/l it! thanks!</STRONG>
Get it here!
Go Dogcows!

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2002, 07:03 PM

Thanks!!!

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2002, 07:17 PM

No problem, just good luck downloading it. Unless you have an ultra-fast connection, it'll take quite a while. I don't personally have SuSE, but I have other Linux distros, and they are all roughly around 400 MB (well, I'm kinda exaggerating, but its close).
Go Dogcows!

Sarah31
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2002, 02:17 AM

Not running any distro right now.

Ran Mandrake until my cat borked it. Still don't know how that happened.

So now I just have OS X and Darwin.

I run LibraNet on my PC though!

Edit: tried debian but couldn't get x configured at all and din't want to go through all the trouble of setting things up via the commandline because Darwin gives me enough of that. I would love to try it again and have the 2.2r4.1 discs so if anyone wants to tell me how I get x configured on my Bondi Blue Rev.B iMac I would surely give Debian another shot!

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: Sarah31 ]

utidjian
Senior User
Jan 18, 2002, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by ginoledesma:
<STRONG>A question I'd like to ask is: what do you do with Linux under Mac? And how do you "live" with it? I had a hard time with both, but have had no problems with using Linux on the PC at all. </STRONG>
Well after the initial install and setup... which is a huge PITA compared to Linux on x86 I have found it to be extremely reliable. I had to add a 3 button mouse (no problem)... I had to get X to work with better than 8bit color (hassle) but now it is done.

After all that... sheer productivity All the regular Linux apps I use are there. If I need any OS-9 apps I just run them in MOL. My only problem is I can't run it on my Dual G4 533MHz tower... the video card (Nvidia Geforce2 MX) is not supported by any Linux drivers I can find.

OS-X is nice but it doesn't have a lot of the apps I like to use. I have installed fink and that has helped with some of them. Personally I still find the Mac GUI kludgy compared to Gnome/Sawfish on X. It is just what I am used to. Linux also runs a heckuva lot faster and smoother on the same hardware as OS-X.

YMMV
-DU-...etc...

Angrysmiley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2002, 12:40 PM

I use YDL 2.1 on a 99 Powerbook (Lombard 333Mhz), with 384Ram and 20Gb hdd and yes it does preform _BETTER_ than OSX on the same (i said jehova), im running Enlightenment with all it's nice transparent features.

And as a reply for someone above .. FreeBSD only exists for Intel and Alpha platforms, while OpenBSD and NetBSD is available for 68k

Well time for some beer!!!!!

v0id7
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2002, 01:57 PM

We better get NVidia support soon, or I'm building a PC and running Redhat on it.
_______void_______

jean-henri
Jan 20, 2002, 09:02 AM

Hello
I'm running Debian Potato on a PC and as soon as I have the time (2-3 weeks from now) I'll install it on my 500 MHz iMac as well. Hearing about the other Mac distros also have my interest, of course. So - count me in!

Cheers!
-jh

jean-henri
Jan 20, 2002, 09:12 AM

Ooops - submitted a cached page!

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: jean-henri ]
-jh

<siepo>
Jan 20, 2002, 01:08 PM

I am running Debian Woody and a 2.4.14 kernel on a 400Mhz pismo with 320MB ram and 18gb hd. It took a long time before all the wrinkles were ironed out (display, mouse, keyboard, usb, mol) but at the moment everything work just fine.

The machine triple-boots linux/os9/osx with yaboot/ybin.

Scrod
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2002, 04:29 PM

Well, I've installed Debian Linux on my roommate's old HP (after he bought a PowerBook G4), but I only access it through SSH and VNC on my Mac.

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: Scrod ]
I abused my signature until she cried.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2002, 06:10 AM

I have PPC 2000 Q4 installed on a slot-loading DV iMac, but I never use it since I can't figure out how to configure it to connect to the internet.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

<Joel>
Jan 27, 2002, 07:24 PM

Im running linux on my iMac 350, 256MB, 40GB,
and my PM9500/200 with 160 MB RAM, and a Promise ATA card(which only works under linux), which i use as a server and router.

i really like it, very fast indeed.
just compare xmms running under linux to iTunes under OSX:
on my iMac iTunes uses ~15-25% cpu time.
and on the same machine under linux, running xmms(with OSS output),
it uses only 0.0-0.1% cpu. (IM TRULY AMAZED)

another thing i love about linux is xine (xine.sourceforge.net)
a great media player, at least once you've learned all the key combos.
much nicer to play divxes with, than Avi2Mov and Quicktime player

BUT, i have one problem concerning my Promise card(i think, could be the harddrive).
i get some kind of DMA timeout(timeout: waiting for dma....)
and then its deactivating DMA by itself.(which makes disk access a lot slower)
then i can activate it again: like this: "hdparm -d1 /dev/hda"
and it gets speedy again.
the deactivation of DMA always occur when i transfer a lot of data at high speeds.
i've tried different kernels(kernel.org and benh)
any ideas?

//Joel

vsurfer
Senior User
Jan 28, 2002, 12:16 AM

I've tried to install SuSE 6 or 7 times onto my iMAc DV, and it keeps freezing on the 7 th out of 8 steps of Yast2- Network Configuration.

it gets about 14% into Network Configuration each time and just hangs. Any idea what''s going on there?

--------
well i got it fixed finally so SuSE 7.1 Linux is up an running relatively nicely

[ 03-01-2002: Message edited by: vsurfer ]

<Applefreak01>
Jan 28, 2002, 02:56 PM

I have Mandrake 8.1 Linux on my HP at home. I hardly ever use Windows now, only when I need to use PowerPoint or Access. I would like to have a Linux OS for my other computer (a 233Mhz Rev. A iMac). Where do I go to download the CD image?

gfxgeek
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2002, 12:35 AM

G4 450mhz YDL 2.1

btw is it possible to run any other type of linux on any of these other boxes?

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: gfxgeek ]
PowerMac G4 450mhz 256mb RAM 2/26gb HD RagePro128 Internal Zip OS X.1
iMacDVSE Graphite 500mhz 256mb RAM 30gb HD OS X.1
Macintosh SE 1mb RAM 2/800k FD OS 6.0.3
Macintosh Quadra 610 25mhz 4mb RAM 230mb HD OS 7.1
Macintosh Quadra 605 25mhz 4mb RAM 80mb HD OS 7.1

<CyberdogX>
Jan 31, 2002, 05:06 PM

I have a Yellow Dog 2.1/OS9.1 dual-boot on my Kanga Powerbook G3 250, also known as the 3500, or Original Powerbook G3.

vsurfer
Senior User
Mar 1, 2002, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by jaisun:
<STRONG>2 part post:

1. Currently running SuSE 7.3 (kde2 is tight!) and OS X.1 on:
Yose 400 @ 450 / 1Gb RAM / 12Gb (5 parts: 3 for SuSE, 1 for 9.2, 1 for X) / 80Gb (storage) / Rage 128 / xClaim VR / DVD / custom enclosure w/ample cooling

2. I'm not getting a boot list on restart or cold boot...the only way I can get to 9 or X is to boot up off a system disc, select a new startup drive and restart...kind of a pain in the arse. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance </STRONG>
One of the things i did was copy a system folder and finder to the SuSE boot folder from my original install disk ( i believe I emptied the system folder after -- whatever was necessary to make it resemble the one SuSE provided)

I also did the routine where you move the finder from the boot folder to the desktop. Close the folder. Open the folder again and move the finder back.

I wasn't very scientific in my method so i have some extraneous crap and duplication in there and am not sure which one is now the good one but I'll eventually figure it out.

(I did some other stuff too - but since it doesn't jibe with the kernel I am getting I think it was irrelevant.)

bluedog
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2002, 11:55 PM

Just an update to my progress of getting unix variants running on mac hardware...

I have tried to get linux onto a Quadra605, but the error in the 680LC40 chip basically means it seems to be useless for anything but the MacOS.

I bought a IIci and put A/UX on it. Quite a unique version of unix. Although its quite primitive for what other distros have today it has its unique qualities (like being able to run Mac binaries while having a unix shell underneath). In some ways it is logistically very similar to OSX but from the 1990s. It runs a SystemV-based unix with the MacOS 7.0 also available.

I have Mandrake Linux installed on a Pentium200mHz.

And MkLinux on a 7100/80.

OSX on an 8500/G3upgrade400mHz

I'm going for getting a unix variant on as many machines as I can. Although I have an SE that could run Minix, without an ethernet connection it seems fairly useless. Instead the older machines I'm decking out with the ancient but still useable early versions of the publishing and design software (illustrator88, photohop1.0, Quark1.0, Pagemaker2,etc.)

[ 03-01-2002: Message edited by: bluedog ]

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2002, 04:46 AM

Well, I've used LinuxPPC and Yellow Dog Linux on an iMac DV/400 and MkLinux on a PowerBook 5300c, but I now have a G4/533 as my main computer and I have never installed Linux on this one. OS X is plenty.

Carolus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2002, 12:15 PM

"Used" SuSE PPC 7.1 on a PM 4400 , 200 mhz with twinTurbo videocard.
(bought it because of good press on mac , blabla)

After weeks I got the stuff installed (SuSE manual went off the road several times on this...), but I was unable to get the videocard working well, or any ethernet (Farallon 10-100).

I got it running, but NO Xwindows, except ONE time : slow and funky.

No big success, but at least I learned quite a lot about "installing" Linux for the first time ;-)
I'll try to install it on my new iBook now.
cheers,
Carolus
* iBook 600 *
and loads of oldie Macs ;-)

Sven G
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2002, 01:27 PM

SuSE Linux PPC 7.3 on a Power Mac G4 AGP 450 MHz (March 2000 model) with LaCie photon18blue display: it works perfectly (*first* Linux distro *ever* that installed and performs without problems: I recommend SuSE 7.3 to everyone having a supported computer!)...

It will also be interesting to see the final Mandrake Linux 8.2 PPC distribution: looks very promising.

I'm also looking forward to Gnome 2 and - especially - KDE 3: they may not be as beautiful and consistent as Mac OS X, yet, but they certainly have some powerful and more "open" features...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

v0id7
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2002, 05:54 PM

&lt;Still waiting on Mandrake support for new hardware&gt; Well I think this is the longest thread the Linux on Mac forum has ever seen. &lt;Still waiting on Mandrake support for new hardware&gt;
_______void_______

<citystars07>
Mar 6, 2002, 10:21 AM

I have an iMac DV SE with 384M RAM-
I want to install Linux on a partition of my 30G HD
Any suggestions on which version I should get and where to get it?

-CityStar

v8q
Mar 6, 2002, 04:33 PM

My 8500 runs 9.1 and YDL 2.0 at the moment. As soon as my Sonnet G4 card arrives (today maybe?) it will also boot OSX.1

Has anybody figured out how to use the video in/out hardware on the 8500 under linux? It looks like it was working (video in anyway) with the planb driver under 2.2 kernels but I need to run 2.4 or better to use the firewire and USB and IDE cards.

petoria
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2002, 01:49 AM

Running Debian Linux Woody release on a Power Computing PowerCurve (120 MHz 601).
I know a guy from nantucket, and well lets just say the stories about him are greatly exaggerated.

sUNtiGEn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2002, 09:21 PM

I use a yellowdog 2.1 on a 867 Mhz G4, debian 2.2r4 on a 266 Mhz G3 and Debian 2.2r2 68k on an old lc 475
YellowDog 2.0 (the 2.4 kernel in YD 2.1 won't recognise the DVD-ROM on my Cube).

G4 Cube, 500 MHz

768 MB RAM (or something close to that)

40GB 7200 rpm HD

This box is a true server. The X-Term is rarely (if ever) used. It's file/print/mail/shell/play/networking server
- matthewk (MSK2)

Forum Links
Forum Rules