Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > slow motion quicktime

slow motion quicktime
Oct 17, 2001, 11:26 PM

I'm using Toon Boom Studio, but to check my animation, it would help a lot to be able to see the stuff I export in slow motion. Does anyone know of a utitlity (I'd even settle for a classic one) that would play qt movies or even better, Flash movies, in slow motion?

thanks

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2001, 11:30 PM

I hate Apple's QuickTime Player since 3.0 because of what you mentioned (as well as other reasons). It used to be able to play movies in variable fast-motion and slow-motion but it can't any more. However, if you open a QT movie in a web browser like IE, it still has the traditional bar and arrows on the right. Just control-click in the arrows and a little speed bar will replace them for you to control the playback speed.

I keep an OLD copy of Apple's "MoviePlayer" 2.5 on hand just for this very reason.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

Rickster
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2001, 05:56 AM

If you need this ability in OS X, you can:

a) play the movie in a web browser or some other app, where it will be presented with the standard controller.

b) Apple has some developer sample code called SimpleMoviePlayer, which does basic playback with the standard controller.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

<Marc>
Oct 22, 2001, 04:45 AM

You can download from the apple ste an applescript to play qicktime files in every speed you want, there are scripts for os 9 and for os X

6116  (op)
Oct 22, 2001, 10:55 PM

Thanks for all your help, everyone. I'm still having a little trouble, but I hope Toon Boom's 10.1 update will help. Exporting to swf makes the clip's speed uncontrollable in any qt player, and exporting to quicktime gets rid of the soundtrack (and converting the swf to quicktime also loses the sound). Hopefully, in some update or another, I'll be able to export to quicktime with sound.

thanks again

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2001, 11:19 AM

The standard QT controls (i.e. not the QuickTime Player proper) still have these features. They should work the same way as they did before.

Of course, this does introduce the problem of getting a player that uses the standard controls. Web browsers have already been mentioned. Someone could probably code up a simple QuickTime player without too much trouble, also. A complete MoviePlayer replacement, while not trivial, would be possible.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

absmiths
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2001, 05:27 PM

Here are the Apple scripts referred to above:
Quicktime Applescripts

Check toward the bottom under "Play"

Forum Links
Forum Rules