Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Info on Mac OS X Beta

Info on Mac OS X Beta
CaseCom
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2000, 06:34 AM

Just thought I'd start a new thread to round up the new info we got:

$29.99 on CD from the Apple Store

From the OS X PB White Paper:

System requirements
To run Mac OS X Public Beta, you will need an iMac, iBook, Power Mac G3, Power Mac G4, Power Mac G4 Cube, or PowerBook G3 computer with a minimum of 128MB of physical RAM. Mac OS X does not support the original PowerBook G3 or upgraded PowerPC processors.
Existing installation of OS 9 required for Classic environment to work; OS 9.0.4 recommended.

Can be installed on same partition as OS 9 system; separate partition is recommended

On PowerBooks: Sleep and AirPort may not work yet.

Many third-party peripherals may not work yet.

Also, this from the FAQ:

Q. Will Mac OS X Public Beta expire?

A. Mac OS X Public Beta will expire on May 15, 2001. At that time the software will stop working, and you will need a bootable Mac OS CD (not the Mac OS X Public Beta CD) to gain access to the contents of your hard drive or to reset your computer�s startup disk.

CaseCom  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2000, 06:54 AM

1.5 GB of hard disk space is required. The beta cannot be installed on a USB or FireWire disk.

smeghead
Sep 13, 2000, 08:34 AM

and for us up here in canada.....the canadian applestore does not sell it, nor can they give me any idea when they might.

guess it's hotline for me.

mmurray
Sep 13, 2000, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by smeghead:
and for us up here in canada.....the canadian applestore does not sell it, nor can they give me any idea when they might.
Bad luck - they are selling it at the Australian Applestore. They have the web page all set up even though it is nighttime here. They are suggesting a `build' time of 7 days though so I don't know how long its going to take to arrive.

Michael

BobbyG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2000, 09:57 AM

Say- when you order the MacOS X Beta, don't forget to include my Apple Consultant number - 30667 - in the field at the bottom of the form!

ntsc
Senior User
Sep 13, 2000, 12:33 PM

what's happened?
didn't DP4 run with only 64MB of physical RAM??

What's happened to the Beta when you must have 128MB mimimum or is that Apple exaggerating for performance?? I know that in DP4 64MB of RAM made it slow but at least it could run.

I'm saving up for a wopping 256MB modual but I won't have that until at least November. Please help.

------------------
"It is easy to be brave
from a safe distance"
-Aesop
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

smeghead
Sep 13, 2000, 12:48 PM

i just called the canadian apple store again, hoping there might be an update on availability...and....

they will have the beta today or tomorrow and gladly took my order....woohoo!

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2000, 12:56 PM

Why would you wine about 64mb of RAM? Who in there right mind only has 64mb of RAM? If you only have 64MB you need 128 at least. Even windows is a joke on 64mb of ram, mac os x WILL run on 64mb but that not a very good idea... Seriously i saved my pennies and bought 768mb of ram, at least get another 64 your mac will run hella fast.. :-)

kidaccordex
Sep 13, 2000, 12:58 PM

My guess is that the software requires more memory because it must run two operating sytems, OS X and OS 9.0.4. Just a thought.

Just a quick question, has any body got any idea of why they did not include support for airport. All of their current computers utilize it. Perhaps a marketing strategy to force users to upgrade when the final version comes out.

CaseCom  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2000, 01:01 PM

I doubt that. More likely AirPort was near the bottom of their to-do list, and they ran out of time before the deadline.

The beta expires on May 15, so we'll all have to upgrade anyway.

wyzeguy
Sep 13, 2000, 01:25 PM

Regarding the AirPort question...There was limited support in DP4. It would recognize the card and allow you to connect to an AirPort zone as long as the zone was not password protected. I would hope that at least that much functionality is still present.

[This message has been edited by wyzeguy (edited 09-13-2000).]

bob the ill-fated
Sep 13, 2000, 01:36 PM

I'm guessing that the 128 is required for the beta just so that memory requirements become less of a hassle for the people back at apple trying to sort through all the beta testing emails. Hopefully, it will be 64 for the final release (after all the bugs are worked out)

Remember that this is a beta test, and not a final product. Bugs and stuff DO have to be worked out yet.

Inaavuq
Sep 13, 2000, 02:02 PM

Also, from Canada, I was feeling rather left out when I checked the Apple.ca website today, only to find no mention of X beta. A call to AppleStore Canada, however, has resulted in a copy of the (rather expensive) CD winging its way through the air to me in the not-too-distant future. I was told availability would be either this afternoon or tomorrow morning. It's optimistic, I realise, but one can be hopeful.

aapl4ever
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2000, 04:06 PM

Based on the post that mentions the beta has an expiration date, why should I spend $30 + s/h for a time-limited product?

Just my opinion.

TimothyFrantz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2000, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by aapl4ever:
Based on the post that mentions the beta has an expiration date, why should I spend $30 + s/h for a time-limited product?

Just my opinion.
Nobody is forcing you to!

What do you think you are getting anyway? It is BETA. Its a trial. You can help offer feedback that will make X a better product. So spend 30 bucks and try it out. Or don't. Quit whining.

Thomas Payne
Sep 13, 2000, 04:48 PM

I've just noticed - for once something is cheaper in the UK than the US!!! Once you've added sales tax and delivery to the US Apple Store price, it works out at about $5 more than the equivalent in the UK. This makes me happy! :-)

Phaedrus
Sep 13, 2000, 07:17 PM

I shouldn't have to pay Apple to give them feedback about a product so they can improve it and sell it to me again for more. That's bullsh!t. If they want constructive input people, they should give OSX PB away for free--maybe 10-15 for the cost of S/H and the CD, but that's it.

------------------

MAlan
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2000, 07:34 PM

Phaedrus....I agree completely with you. Although I might shell out the $$ anyway because I really want to see it up close, I find that Apple is really taking advantage of people like me who can't wait to get their hands on it. What's worse is that I expect them not to offer a discount to the public beta testers once the final release is out.

aapl4ever
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2000, 11:00 PM

Thank you, Phaedrus & MAlan.

Mr. TA
Sep 14, 2000, 12:07 AM

>I've just noticed - for once something is cheaper in the UK than the US!!!

Good for you! I'm off now to fill up my big American V8 with some of our free-flowing, $1.75 per U.S. Gallon gasoline.....

Hope you're having fun with the fuel crisis.... ;-)

sampledate
Sep 14, 2000, 12:26 AM

mr. ta you are mean...funny as hell but still mean...

we get to see episode 1 before the rest of the world AND we spend $1.63 over here in sunny CA. AND Beta OS X...what a country!

smeghead
Sep 14, 2000, 12:36 AM

actually, i agree with them charging for the beta the way they have.

if they just give it away to every user that asks for it. you'll have idiots that don't back up before installing, have no idea what they are getting into...and then will post everywhere about how apple/os x sucks.

i'd rather see the beta go to people that have to think twice about buying/installing. they'll be better beta testers, and we'll get a better release in the long run.

denim
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2000, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by Mr. TA:
Hope you're having fun with the fuel crisis.... ;-)
That was nasty! And more, they also have a government which is not going to do as the people have clearly requested. I figure what they really want is for people to stop driving their own cars.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

JBracy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2000, 11:13 AM

I didn't realise that this was a political discussion board!

As an American living in London, I also have an opinion, but I don't think that anyone reading about OSX cares any more about the price of petrol (gas) in London, than they do about tea in China!!!

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2000, 11:24 AM

As a developer, I was quite shocked to read you needed at least 96 megs of RAM to run the Beta. DP4 only needed 64. So I tested it and it will run on 64 megs of RAM, it ain't pretty, but it will run.

------------------
http://www.macgorilla.com
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

doclee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2000, 08:18 PM

Does anyone know whether or not Mac OS X will ever support G3 and G4 upgrade cards? Is this another case of Apple dumping on most of its user base? Just wondering.

Forum Links
Forum Rules