Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Backup of local NetInfo Database / OS 10.1.5 Newbie

Backup of local NetInfo Database / OS 10.1.5 Newbie
68k33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2002, 01:23 PM

When trying to create a backup of the local NetInfo Database via the NetInfo-Manager -> Domain -> Save Backup, I get the following error return:

"Cannot find the Process-ID of "nibindd""! (Note: Translated from German localization)

Also the CLI-Method as discribed in "Mac OSX unleashed" by Jon Ray / William C. Ray as:

localhost# cp -R local.nidb local.nidb-backup
localhost# tar -cf local.nidb-backup.tar local.nidb

didn't work. The return was "not such database".

What to do ?

JayJay1974
Jul 28, 2002, 07:19 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by 68k33:
<strong>When trying to create a backup of the local NetInfo Database via the NetInfo-Manager -&gt; Domain -&gt; Save Backup, I get the following error return:

"Cannot find the Process-ID of "nibindd""! (Note: Translated from German localization)

Also the CLI-Method as discribed in "Mac OSX unleashed" by Jon Ray / William C. Ray as:

localhost# cp -R local.nidb local.nidb-backup
localhost# tar -cf local.nidb-backup.tar local.nidb

didn't work. The return was "not such database".

What to do ?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Hi!

From what I understand, nibindd will not run if the only domain in your NetInfo Hierarchy is localhost. Or if there is only one domain to be more precise. Because nibindd is not run, there will be no Process-ID for nibindd set in /var/run (nibindd.pid). That is why you are getting a "Cannot find the Process-ID of "nibindd"" message.

I had this problem too. I did get it to run once though, but I could never get it to run again, until I worked this out.

First, with NetInfoManager, create another domain and see what happens. Then, to check, in Terminal type: cd / [enter] cd /var/run [enter] ls [enter] You should see nibindd.pid Everything should work now.

Good Luck!

. ..__J*J__.. .

68k33  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2002, 10:22 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by JayJay1974:
From what I understand, nibindd will not run if the only domain in your NetInfo Hierarchy is localhost. Or if there is only one domain to be more precise. Because nibindd is not run, there will be no Process-ID for nibindd set in /var/run (nibindd.pid). That is why you are getting a "Cannot find the Process-ID of "nibindd"" message.

I had this problem too. I did get it to run once though, but I could never get it to run again, until I worked this out.

First, with NetInfoManager, create another domain and see what happens. Then, to check, in Terminal type: cd / [enter] cd /var/run [enter] ls [enter] You should see nibindd.pid Everything should work now.

Good Luck!

. ..__J*J__.. .[/QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Hi, thanks for reply.

First, I have tried another way now that was described in the cited literature. It says that Apple recommends backing up the NetInfo Database in Single User mode. I have applied the cited commands but I get the following return:

cp: local.nidb: No such file or directory

I will go on with your suggestions.

68k33  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2002, 11:41 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by JayJay1974:

Good Luck!

. ..__J*J__.. .[/QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Hi, thanks for reply.

First, I have tried another way now that was described in the cited literature. It says that Apple recommends backing up the NetInfo Database in Single User mode. I have applied the cited commands but I get the following return:

cp: local.nidb: No such file or directory

I will go on with your suggestions.

Forum Links
Forum Rules