Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Drinking heavily cause of "unimplemented trap" error: 9.2 update

Drinking heavily cause of "unimplemented trap" error: 9.2 update
redandwhites
Aug 28, 2002, 07:15 AM

Help.

1. I have a G3 500 and love it. With MacOS Z-9.1 and trying to update to 9.2. CD is in the drive, I boot holding down C, the disk doesn't boot.

2. I get to the desktop again, select the CD as startup disk, and reboot, and get a bomb with:

"Sorry, a system error...unimplemented trap...To temp turn off extensions, restart and hold down the shift key". So, like, I hold down shift, same error again. Eject CD, Powerbook reboots back to desktop.

3. Sigh. Finished a bottle of vodka.

4. I looked at http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=18999 but, er, this didn't help. "When you consistently get unimplemented trap errors, you should look at the software on your hard disk since it could be corrupted, or incompatible." Hmmm.. ok then...extensions are off already...like you told me to...

5. I searched at http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?127@@!keywords=unimplemented%20trap but most of this seems OSX related

... - - - ...

Assistance appreciated.

Cipher13
Aug 30, 2002, 06:53 AM

Is this an original CD you're trying to boot from? It sounds pretty messed up. Reset you PRAM and try again.

You may need special components to boot from a CD on that machine, but AFAIK, the G3 500 PB's were tolerant of this (all systems were up until the USB era; the PBG3 is a member of that era, however, operates differently), so I can't imagine that's the problem, but I'll get you to do this anyway - find the original CD's that came with the system, and try to boot from one of the system CD's (install or restore).

Does it work?

Forum Links
Forum Rules