Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Set your own profile in iChat

Set your own profile in iChat
Vilinxx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2002, 06:43 PM

I seriously can't figure out how to set my own AIM profile in iChat. This is the one thing that's stopping me from using it, at least most of the time (the interface isn't the best). But man oh man, does anyone know how to set your own profile?

Thanks,
Vil
Vil

Technicolor
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2002, 07:50 PM

iChat doesn't have profiles. Why do you need a profile anyway?

niji
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2002, 08:02 PM

possibly you are referring to the "profile" that is taken from yr "self" mail address in the Mail app? anyway, iChat does use that info.
thnx

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2002, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by niji:
possibly you are referring to the "profile" that is taken from yr "self" mail address in the Mail app? anyway, iChat does use that info.
thnx
Ah crap, THATS what that is used for...

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2002, 09:22 PM

The what in the where in Mail???
( Last edited by jokell82; Dec 6, 2002 at 12:34 AM. )

tramahound
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2002, 12:34 PM

ok, i was wondering this too kind of. i got my profile running alright i guess, but my wife and i both share a tibook. i have both our AIM names listed in iChat preferences and can switch between both of them, but no matter whose profile is selected my full name appears on iChat. Is there a way to make it change to her name when changing to her AIM name?
thanks

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2002, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by tramahound:
ok, i was wondering this too kind of. i got my profile running alright i guess, but my wife and i both share a tibook. i have both our AIM names listed in iChat preferences and can switch between both of them, but no matter whose profile is selected my full name appears on iChat. Is there a way to make it change to her name when changing to her AIM name?
thanks
Be sure to create multiple users so each of you can have your own settings.

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2002, 03:56 PM

How about a way to change the profile when people using AIM get info on you? Apple didn't provide this or support for the millions of people using animated icons. Sigh....

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2002, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by brainchild2b:
How about a way to change the profile when people using AIM get info on you? Apple didn't provide this or support for the millions of people using animated icons. Sigh....
iChat 1.0 was obviously a rushed project. 1.0.1 fixed some of the transfer problems, but future updates will get it all in par with AOLs AIM client.

frawgz
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2002, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by niji:
thnx
Can anyone possibly elaborate on this? I thought it was impossible to have a profile using iChat!

frawgz
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2002, 03:34 PM

Anyone??

Technicolor
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2002, 03:42 PM

Can anyone possibly elaborate on this? I thought it was impossible to have a profile using iChat!
Open up the Address Book app and find or add your AIM name to it. That's what he's talking about. iChat and Mail all use the Address Books database. It's not "profile" the way Proteus defines it. It's more of a AIM user name equals such and such person and this is all their contact information etc, etc. Does that make sense?

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2002, 04:58 PM

It is impossible currently the people at the top obviously weren't familar with AIM profiles and what you were talking about. They just mean you can have your contact info in the address book match and store notes about a user (;-P) this is NOT a profile.

Forum Links
Forum Rules