Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Which WAPs support Appletalk?

Which WAPs support Appletalk?
petek
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2002, 11:37 AM

I'm going to add a WAP/router to my existing home network. My search on this forum brought up threads which allude to Appletalk compatibility (thanks for reminding me to look for this). So, what WAPs DO handle Appletalk well?

I was leaning towards the Linksys BEFW11S4 or the Netgear MR-314, but of course they don't provide any info on Appletalk compatibility on their websites.

I plan to cascade the WAP router with my current Macsense MIH-130A router. Am I correct that I can do this by setting one router to handle the DSL connection and PPPoE and just connect the WAN port of the other router to one of the first router's LAN ports?

TIA

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2002, 12:50 PM

If you need AppleTalk, do NOT get a Linksys AP. They do not bridge AT on the wireless side.
I have an Asante FR3002AL that works very well and handles AT without a problem. Asante is very pro-Mac. I've used this for 2+ yrs without a hitch. Asante is also now making a FR1004AL, which is cheaper and possibly better due to it's dual external antennas.
Are you sure you need AT, though? Most people don't, just to be clear.
Also, out of curiosity, why not just replace the Macsense with the new router/AP? What am I missing?

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 22, 2002, 12:52 PM

The only reason to worry about AppleTalk is if you currently use it. With current versions of OS X you don't really need it for printing or file sharing.

Close but no cigar on connecting the routers. Leave your Macsense router handling your DSL, but connect one port from it to the UPLINK port on the new router. Using the WAN port complicates matters-the smallest problem is that you'd have two different LANs, making file and printer sharing a hassle.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

petek  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2002, 08:13 PM

The reason I would like to have Appletalk is that I have one Mac on the network which will probably not be running OS X for a while - it's a G3/466 which works just fine on OS 9.2, but running apps via classic from X is too pokey. I do, however want to share files between it and the other Macs on the network which do run OS X.

I am new to OS X, so maybe I've missed something, but the way I got file sharing working between a Mac with X and one with 9.2 was through Appletalk. Is there an alternate way which doesn't involve AT?

I'd like to use both routers for the extra ethernet ports - I don't have any to spare now. Also, wouldn't the non-WAP router's NAT protect computers on its LAN from somebody hacking the wireless port?
( Last edited by petek; Dec 22, 2002 at 08:26 PM. )

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2002, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by petek:
I am new to OS X, so maybe I've missed something, but the way I got file sharing working between a Mac with X and one with 9.2 was through Appletalk. Is there an alternate way which doesn't involve AT?
It's been a while for me since I've done anything in 9.x, but I believe there is an option to share files via TCP/IP, perhaps in the Sharing C/P. Look around for this, I'm pretty sure it's there somewhere.

I'd like to use both routers for the extra ethernet ports - I don't have any to spare now. Also, wouldn't the non-WAP router's NAT protect computers on its LAN from somebody hacking the wireless port?
To be honest, I believe that somebody THAT motivated to get into your computer(s) would'nt be deterred by the 2nd NAT. I tend to rely on the relative invisibility afforded me by my router.
I use a router and a hub to fill my port needs. Whatever works for you, though. Might as well keep the router you have since, like me, you'll need more ports than one will offer.

petek  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2002, 06:22 PM

aaanorton:

Thanks for the tip on TCP/IP File Sharing (instead of AppleTalk). I tried it and have to say I prefer it to AT sharing - the Network Browser seems to me to be a more modern interface than the Chooser. I guess with mixed 9.2 and X.2 clients it does require fixed IP's - no big deal.

In any case I did opt for the Asante FR1004AL WAP which should be delivered Monday - given the choice I try to go with the company which supports Macs.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2002, 07:51 PM

Right on, me too. You won't regret it. Asante has been great for me.
I'd like to hear how the 1004 works out (especially in terms of reception) for ya'. I may be recommending that unit to a friend next week. Post back, if you can, to report how it goes or if any probs, of course.

Later

junobear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2003, 12:43 AM

If they were readily available, I'd get the new Asante too. But it's backordered a few places...til March!

junobear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2003, 01:15 AM

If they were readily available, I'd get the new Asante too. But it's backordered a few places...til March!

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 3, 2003, 03:36 PM

juniobear, just keep shopping. The entire retail end of the supply chain just CAN'T be empty everywhere! Check out eBay and other auctions, too, because they can point you to retailers that like to fish for bargain hunters.

You should also keep your eye on SMC's routers, since SMC uses the same OEM manufacturer as Asante', and I'v never heard of SMC stuff being out of stock for very long.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

junobear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2003, 04:55 PM

Well I went for the SMC based on numerous recommendations as well as instant availability. And I got a 30 $BG if it doesn't work. That's nice. Will report back in the next couple days. SMC7004AWBR. Can't wait!

Forum Links
Forum Rules