Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New iBook/Airport Question

New iBook/Airport Question
AleroLeanne
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2003, 06:07 PM

If you purchase a new iBook from the Apple store, they come airport ready, correct? If that's true, then how come to add on an airport card while purchasing your iBook costs $158 (CDN), but to purchase a seperate airport card only costs $149 (CDN)? Are we paying Apple to stick it in the slot for us? Or am I missing something here?

233mhz iMac � 1.2ghz iBook G4 � 4gig Pink iPod mini "sweet pea"

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2003, 06:26 PM

Dunno you'll have to ask Apple why they priced it differently. I bought my airport card separately can't remember how much I paid for it now, but it works just the same =)

If you order separately from Apple you have to pay for shipping unless you buy it from a local retailer.

ybalx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2003, 08:31 PM

I just bought an ibook and airport card from the apple retail store -- they wanted $30 (US) to install the card -- I did it myself without any problems. All you have to do is remove the keyboard and open the card spring clip, plug in the attenna and insert the card.

If you order it online, I don't believe they add the installation charge.

alx
fat guy in a little coat

pbook 1.5 ghz, 1.5 ram

cube g4 dp 1.3 7457 geforce 3 120g Seagate 1.5g ram uj825b superdrive

classic 4 ram

niji
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2003, 09:57 PM

"airport ready" means that there is a slot inside the computer where the airport card, if you choose to buy one, fits.it basically is referring to the fact that they have the slot and the internal antenna available for aiport users.
"airport ready" does not mean that the machine has an in place airport card. paying apple to customize yr order is normal. actually, especially anything under the iBook keyboard is well worth having them do it rather than me.
( Last edited by niji; Jan 4, 2003 at 10:04 PM. )

niji
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2003, 09:59 PM

AleroLeanne  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2003, 10:04 PM

Okay, so the airport card slot for the iBook is actually inside the iBook?

So the iBook has to be taken apart to place the airport card in the slot?

I guess I could understand the extra charge for that. Although Apple is way overpriced in the first place. Thanks for your help guys!

233mhz iMac � 1.2ghz iBook G4 � 4gig Pink iPod mini "sweet pea"

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2003, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by AleroLeanne:
Okay, so the airport card slot for the iBook is actually inside the iBook?

So the iBook has to be taken apart to place the airport card in the slot?

I guess I could understand the extra charge for that. Although Apple is way overpriced in the first place. Thanks for your help guys!
Yes it's under the keyboard; there are 2 slats beside the esc and F12 button on the iBook keyboard. They are spring loaded so if you pull them back they pop back into place they keep the keyboard in place. There is also a keyboard lock beside the F6 button that is lock/unlock with a tiny jewelers screwdriver. In order to install the airport card you have to lift the keyboard up. There is full documentation on the apple support site and if you buy an airport card if comes with instructions too.

Also you must buy the 802.11b "Apple" airport card third party airport cards will not work/fit in the iBook.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2003, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by AleroLeanne:
If you purchase a new iBook from the Apple store, they come airport ready, correct? If that's true, then how come to add on an airport card while purchasing your iBook costs $158 (CDN), but to purchase a seperate airport card only costs $149 (CDN)? Are we paying Apple to stick it in the slot for us? Or am I missing something here?
You're pretty much paying for the installation, but as I understand it's not particularly difficult to do yourself (so long as you have that small screwdriver and follow instructions). You would flip up the keyboard if you were installing memory as well.

I would definitely hold off on an AirPort card until after MacWorld San Fran on Tuesday, since you might be able to get an 802.11g card (current cards, like most Wi-Fi cards, are 802.11b) and have the option of a much faster wireless connection.

And as an aside, with a PowerBook you can do something sneaky: if you get the unofficial 802.11b driver from SourceForge , a number of wireless network cards will work in OS X. That's how I got my Linksys WPC11 card going. The main catch is (apart from the unofficial nature of the drivers) that you need to have a PowerBook, since it's the only Mac with a general PC Card slot.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Forum Links
Forum Rules